Quantcast

Banshee Legend

mushroom1234

Chimp
May 16, 2010
Hi all

I did have a topic about the Knolly Podium but that didnt work out right. I was just wondering if anyone on here had ridden a Mythic legend or if there are any reviews anywere?

Any help would be awsome

Cheers

Josh

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i am on one, what do you want to know about it specifically?

bottom line, its dialled and i like it very much.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd also try the banshee forum on mtbr and the banshee blog. Some reviews there and on the forums if you look good. I got mine pretty late so I was bugging everyone for reviews.

I like mine already even though I only had 4 days of riding on it and it still needs a softer spring. Get it ;) But yeah, ask what you want to know, I'll prolly have some more info soon after I get that damned spring.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Here's a pretty good overview of the bike from Banshee's engineer, Keith Scott.

Team Geronimo is rocking the Legend MkII this season. We've got a few races under our belts on the bike so far (Australia National Series events, Sea Otter, Port Angeles) and are very impressed. The bike is stable in the rough thanks to the suspension design and 63.8* head angle, corners well due to the low bb, and I've found it to be pretty popable/flickable as well. Pedal strikes due to the semi-low bb haven't proven to be an issue at all. I really like how well protected the shock is from mud and rocks.

Our builds came out quite nicely and weigh in just under 40lbs ;)

You can find a bunch more info here: http://bansheebikes.blogspot.com/search/label/Legend

Last edited:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Geometry is inline with current race bikes and WC bikes - long, low, and slack.
Weight is average, everything is built to last.
Overall build quality and fit is excellent, weld quality good but not great, paint can chip easy.
Suspension, like most, can be set up however you like depending on your spring rate and shock setup - lively and fun or stable and composed.
Pedalling is excellent if you run below 35% sag (in my opinion).

In my opinion from a design point of view it's one of the best bikes out there - low center of gravity, protected shock placement, good suspension design, great geo, good quality, tested at length so no teething problems, and a good couple of guys standing behind it.

I was lucky enough to get a Mk1, and I'm getting a Mk2 soon if that says anything. I'm stoked on the bike.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Geometry is inline with current race bikes and WC bikes - long, low, and slack.
Weight is average, everything is built to last.
Overall build quality and fit is excellent, weld quality good but not great, paint can chip easy.
Suspension, like most, can be set up however you like depending on your spring rate and shock setup - lively and fun or stable and composed.
Pedalling is excellent if you run below 35% sag (in my opinion).

In my opinion from a design point of view it's one of the best bikes out there - low center of gravity, protected shock placement, good suspension design, great geo, good quality, tested at length so no teething problems, and a good couple of guys standing behind it.
Yeah - the green logos on my legend already have some minor signs of crashes though I have to agree in my 2nd day of riding I managed to age my helmet by 5 years ;) Bikeshield or the ano version solves it ;)

As for the shock being protected - in very ****ty conditions it's a bit worse than on my old lapierre with a glory type hole because some of the mud will get but it was during a 3 day non stop rain time ;)

The 35% sag worries me - is the bike still lively after that? I'm at 26% and its too little but I don't want to deaden it too much as the local trails do not require much plowing ability.

mushroom1234

Chimp
May 16, 2010
i am on one, what do you want to know about it specifically?

bottom line, its dialled and i like it very much.
I just wanted to know how it rides? and whats it like in the air? Its hard cause I wont be able to try one out so any information would be great

Cheers Josh

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
well, i am in the uk too. any chance you close to bristol? i'll be riding at FoD or triscombe once finals are over in a couple of weeks. you can try it out for your self if you want to.

its quite lively and i was surprised as others have said at how well it takes to the air. was expecting it to not like leaving the ground. it really shines on the rough stuff as you would expect, brakes and pedals really well.

norbar- i am running over 30% sag on mine (somewhere between 30 and 35%), it definitely rides better. sits nicely in its travel it is still lively.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I just wanted to know how it rides? and whats it like in the air? Its hard cause I wont be able to try one out so any information would be great

Cheers Josh
This is so subjective to which shock you're using and how you've got it set up that it's almost not worth discussing. Get your shock settings how you like them and the bike rides great and can handle anything anyone could throw at it (in terms of DH racing) and will be begging for more.

Norbar - in my opinion "lively" doesn't have to do with how much sag, but how much damping your running. You can have a lively bike at 25% or 40% sag.

As for pedalling, the amount of anti-squat decreases as the sag increases, and I've found I prefer more snappy acceleration so I run my sag at 33-35% range. That said, i think Socket said he prefers running more sag for pedalling - but I think we differ in how much low speed damping we like to run.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I will run a 250lbs anyway. Just wondered if 225 would be better ( if possible to get anywhere ;) )

mushroom1234

Chimp
May 16, 2010
well, i am in the uk too. any chance you close to bristol? i'll be riding at FoD or triscombe once finals are over in a couple of weeks. you can try it out for your self if you want to.

its quite lively and i was surprised as others have said at how well it takes to the air. was expecting it to not like leaving the ground. it really shines on the rough stuff as you would expect, brakes and pedals really well.

norbar- i am running over 30% sag on mine (somewhere between 30 and 35%), it definitely rides better. sits nicely in its travel it is still lively.
Im in Epsom which looks to be about 3-4 hours a way, which is quite far. Are you going to be doing any races? you got a picture of yours? also what size is it? sorry for all the questions just want to make sure I get the right bike

And yer I know it does depend on shock set up and stuff but just wanted to get an idea.

Cheers for you help

Josh

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
pslide - socket runs 35%. dont think you can get away with more as you are going to have trouble with pedals scraping the ground.

josh -

dont think i will be doing any races, off chance that i head to woburn or aston hill i'll give you a shout.

i am 5'11, on a medium frame. have an elka shock which works really good on it, 275 spring, weigh 63kgs.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I'm a bit worried that people I've never met know how much sag I run on my bike! haha

Anyway, yeah at roughly 35% sag now, 200lbs/90kg rider, RC4, 300lbs/in spring. I'm on a size large and I'm consistently surprised with how well it corners for such a long bike. Got a few good days on it now and other than my fork making me wonder how much fun it is to try to circumcise yourself with sandpaper, I'm pretty stoked on it. The linkage is actually not very progressive and relatively easy to bottom out with my current settings (160psi, full bottom out, full LSC, 6 clicks out HSC) but I still have room to move and will be continuing to set it up in the next few days. I can honestly say I have not ridden a bike that gets around corners better, it's even better than the Mk1.

Pedalling - it's good as long as you run sufficient sag and/or a large enough ring on the front. How a bike jumps is IMO far more dependent on the suspension setup than the frame itself. As far as bump absorption, it does the job, nothing stupendously awesome IMO but it does have the important quality of not sucking in any particular way.

So far I can't find significant fault with the bike really. Actually, I lie: it has a Maxle. This is the single ****ing ****test part of a wheel I've ever seen, it comes loose, it's butted in the middle so it catches on the bearings when you try to remove it, the old ones snapped, it's QR so higher profile than the rest of the non-drive side of the dropouts, it's needlessly expensive, and **** you to reinventing the wheel. The axle is 5000 year old technology, there is NO EXCUSE for the Maxle sucking as badly as it does.

Anyway, that can be drilled out and replaced with any other 12mm axle that fits, not a big deal.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
I can't speak on anything about the mk2 but as far as the mk1 goes i'll second most of the comments made in this thread....the paint isn't the best out there but after riding a square-tubed turner which had decals rather than paint, it's an upgrade. I also felt like the bike had a really brief "adjustment time" by that I mean, it didn't take me very long to get used to it, it's very predictable, I'm 5'10 and run a medium which I think fits just right

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yerp. Still got room to move with both HSC and boost valve pressure though.
You got me worried there. Good to know. Still no spring. The mail is fast lately :/

btw. what about that legend linkage stuff (pm)? Because I'm close to doing it all myself ;)

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
You got me worried there. Good to know. Still no spring. The mail is fast lately :/

btw. what about that legend linkage stuff (pm)? Because I'm close to doing it all myself ;)
Upped boost valve pressure to 180psi today, added 3 clicks of HSC and that's helped quite a bit with the bottom out, but now the LSC is maybe a bit excessive (hooray for "independent" adjustments :rolleyes:). More tuning to do.

Haven't put the Legend into Linkage yet, haven't got round to measuring it. Probably won't any time in the immediate future either, you're better off just doing it yourself.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I had a short ride today on the Legend. I have to say I was blown away by the stababilty of the bike and how it really feels like your on rails. It defenetly boosted by confidence. I was flying through corners and at all times felt in control. After reading this thread I thought the bike was going to be a bit hard (my friend has it set up with a 400lbs spring and I weigh close to 170 with gear on) but much to my surprise it felt right at home. Stable and active through repetitive bumps, g-outs and jumps. I have to say it blew me away and other bikes too.

Last edited:

ismael

Chimp
Mar 1, 2008
I had a short ride today on the Legend. I have to say I was blown away by the stababilty of the bike and how it really feels like your on rails. It defenetly boosted by confidence. I was flying through corners and at all times felt in control. After reading this thread I thought the bike was going to be a bit hard (my friend has it set up with a 400lbs spring and I weigh close to 170 with gear on) but much to my surprise it felt right at home. Stable and active through repetitive bumps, g-outs and jumps. I have to say it blew me away and other bikes too.
glad you like it. im with the doubt if i should keep the 400lbs spring, or should i just go down with the lbs... the bike has karpi said, runs awesome with 400lbs.. yes, it feels "a bit stiff" and we rode it on a kind of fast track then then we tried it on a inclined and technical one.. i felt great.. at the moment of the rocky parts the control was good, but the bouncing that you get from the bike was a bit hard... i don't know what to do now.. i weigh about 190lbs, y love the bike as it is with 400, but everybody says that i should try with 350... (for the guys who have this bike, and weight like me what can you say about it?)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
glad you like it. im with the doubt if i should keep the 400lbs spring, or should i just go down with the lbs... the bike has karpi said, runs awesome with 400lbs.. yes, it feels "a bit stiff" and we rode it on a kind of fast track then then we tried it on a inclined and technical one.. i felt great.. at the moment of the rocky parts the control was good, but the bouncing that you get from the bike was a bit hard... i don't know what to do now.. i weigh about 190lbs, y love the bike as it is with 400, but everybody says that i should try with 350... (for the guys who have this bike, and weight like me what can you say about it?)
I really recommend trying a 350 at that weight. At least try it - it's a $3000 frame, no point not having it run as good as it could because you didn't want to drop $40 on a spring.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
the funny thing is I tried two bikes the same day. Although radically different, the banshee was supposed to feel stiffer due to the leverage ratio with the spring it had on it, but much to my surprise it felt a lot more stable and was taking the hits a lot better than the other bike which was supposed to be on the softer side. If you ask me, I would keep the 400, although we still have to test the 350, Im pretty sure 400 is the way to go

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
The linkage is actually not very progressive and relatively easy to bottom out with my current settings (160psi, full bottom out, full LSC, 6 clicks out HSC) but I still have room to move and will be continuing to set it up in the next few days.
Honestly, just throw in a 350 or higher spring and you'll feel like you don't bottom out half as much

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Honestly, just throw in a 350 or higher spring and you'll feel like you don't bottom out half as much
Why not use the shock settings and get proper sag and proper suspension ? ;) at the moment I run a 300(and I am much much lighter) and it doesn't bottom but I feel the bike could corner and track even better than now. Still kinda harsh on the brake bumps and the next race track will be filled with them and they'll be big.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I like to run a slightly higher spring rate and open up the HSC and LSC, letting the spring do most of the job. From there on I fine tune it depending on the circuit, depending on pedalling conditions and consecutive hits.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I like to run a slightly higher spring rate and open up the HSC and LSC, letting the spring do most of the job. From there on I fine tune it depending on the circuit, depending on pedalling conditions and consecutive hits.
Well whatever suits you ;) As stated before legend pedals better with higher sag and even with lower lsc and hsc you will sit higher in the travel. I try to do what you do right now because the spring hasn't arrived yet and it feels funky for me.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Well whatever suits you ;) As stated before legend pedals better with higher sag and even with lower lsc and hsc you will sit higher in the travel. I try to do what you do right now because the spring hasn't arrived yet and it feels funky for me.
Yeah, I do have a 350 lying around but that's a pretty stiff setup, noticeably worse tracking and more kicking.

After 7 or so days on the bike I've noticed that the paint is really monumentally pissweak, I already have a huge patch of exposed bare metal on one side of the top tube from my KNEE rubbing against it when I corner. Even the Sunday wasn't that bad.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, I do have a 350 lying around but that's a pretty stiff setup, noticeably worse tracking and more kicking.

After 7 or so days on the bike I've noticed that the paint is really monumentally pissweak, I already have a huge patch of exposed bare metal on one side of the top tube from my KNEE rubbing against it when I corner. Even the Sunday wasn't that bad.
Yeah, the green pain chips easily here too. I've covered the bike with bikeshield but I must agree. The pain on the banshees always has been a problem. My Fathers old scream paint wasn't 1st class either.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
hahaha my friends bike is cover in transparent 3m paper to protect the paint from scratches and coming off. Its stated the bike should run 35 - 40% sag. Right now with the 400 spring we measured it close to 30 -31% sag which I think is fine. My friend is getting a 400 lbs Ti spring and a 350 steel spare for slower tracks. We closed the LSC and tracks a little less, but gives you better pedalling. We still need to work out the tuning on the shock, but I believe he is going to get it valved for the legend. We'll have to wait and see.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
You guys comparing spring rates - are you all running the same shock?

As we all know, with the RC4 you need at least 50 lbs less spring than other shocks.

I weigh 180-190 and have two shocks for my MkI, and I run a 400 lbs spring on a CCDB with minimal LSC and a 300 lbs spring on the RC4...

I expect to be dropping to a 350 lbs on the CCDB for the MkII due to the different leverage ratio.

ismael

Chimp
Mar 1, 2008
You guys comparing spring rates - are you all running the same shock?

As we all know, with the RC4 you need at least 50 lbs less spring than other shocks.

I weigh 180-190 and have two shocks for my MkI, and I run a 400 lbs spring on a CCDB with minimal LSC and a 300 lbs spring on the RC4...

I expect to be dropping to a 350 lbs on the CCDB for the MkII due to the different leverage ratio.
i readed the same on a board of weight conversion to lbs for the legend with rc4, its true that is a necesary rate to get the real sag pedaling from the bike, but today i tried with 300 lbs, 400 lbs and 400 lbs TI.. i can say that the pedaling grew amazingly (in the point of aceleration)the spring is an rcs.. it has more espirals, so it seems to make it feel less progresive or more soft (i don't know why it feels like that) but for my conclusion, the bike is not so progressive, so you can get a good pedaling from the sag by setting the bike as stiff as you want but leaving at least betwen 30% to 35% of sag (even if it says that it vary betwen 35% to 40% for a good pedaling, being that i tried a few convinatons, therefore im questioning the info of the bike by some reviews, it seem clearly that it is something pretty personal)

Last edited:

mushroom1234

Chimp
May 16, 2010
sorry to bring this up again. I just put a deposit down on one and I was just wondering what the seatpost size is as the website isnt working

Cheers Josh

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
looks like I'm finally going to get a chance to grab an MK2 (got to love the employment gods) and was wondering what shock people like to run. I had a DHX 5.0 on my MK1 and it wasn't bad, but I always felt the frame had more to offer...so between Elka and CCDB what are peoples thoughts? I ride on the east coast so not very tall mountains but very techinical/rocky riding (Diablo freeride park) I'm a light rider (150lbs)...any and all input is appreciated...as always