Quantcast

Banshee Rune V2

Discussion in 'Downhill & Freeride' started by djjohnr, Aug 14, 2012.

1. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 397

Please register to disable this ad.

2. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
  3. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 397
    If the WB is long enough and the suspension rate is at all similar to the terrain gobbling Legend I'm sold.

4. Sandwich

Sandwich Pig my fish!
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    68 / 831
    doesn't the legend have a similar shock rate to the sunday?

5. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 397
    From what I hear yes, although a bit more progressive at the end stroke.

6. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
    To be honest I would want my enduro/park bike be more agile. I love my legend but it is very far from a playfull bike. It's much better for inside line cutting and drifting than popping out of corners and jumping everything. A good mix of plow and agility is needed here. Riding any am bike like the legend should be ridden will kill it.

7. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 397
    Agree to a point; I want something similar to the Legend's suspension rather then the same. I'd really like something more plow-able then most AM bikes out at the moment - more then my Reign X for example (which isn't bad, especially at speed), but without resorting to 180mm of travel.

8. norbar

norbar Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    29 / 280
    That is true. Just not a pure plow bike and as much as some people hate the term on this forum - legend is one

9. Pslide

Pslide Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Very clever!

This thing will probably kick a$$. Looks like the Prime's little scrappy brother.

10. goodgrief

goodgrief Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 1
    1st thing that came into my head is 650b drop-outs with a 26" wheel would make it longer/lower/slacker, wouldn't it?

11. Tetreault

Tetreault Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Price isn't bad either, sub 2000 starting point. I liked how the old rune rode, but the bushing problems made it a no go for me, this is looking fantastic

12. -BB-

-BB- I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 28
    Looks like a very nice bike. I have a Spitty and a buddy has a 2012 Rune. Both are amazing bikes. If this new linkage runs even better then they have a winner in this bike. Wonder what will trickle down to the new Spitty.

13. xy9ine

xy9ine Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 123
    ^this:

i'm deliberating between the v2 banshees and the 650b norco sight / ranges for next season; all look hot. tough call...

#13 -   Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  14. SthFRider

SthFRider Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Why don't dont they come in the highlighter yellow color. That color looks sweet. I'll defnitely look hard at this one if i ever get another AM bike. Althought the carbon covert is sexy.

15. Tetreault

Tetreault Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

this is what just happened to me

16. TWeerts

TWeerts Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i think i just tented, too

17. redride

redride Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
  18. General Lee

General Lee Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    For what it's worth I won the latest Taiwan 'national' round on one last weekend. 2nd place was OG Belgian national champ, also on a Rune 2. That bike rips!

19. canadmos

canadmos Mater Slayer

Rep/Likes:
    237 / 4,427
    And a side comment to that, considering how similar they are. I rode my Spitfire v2 at Bromont last week for two days and it shredded the trails. Sure some were pretty brutal feeling, but I was keeping up to guys on full out downhill bikes...pretty easily.

Its amazing how hard you can push these bikes.

20. time-bomb

time-bomb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    I ran a couple of searches on RM and couldn't find any discussions on fit/sizing of these bikes so this seemed the most relevant place to discuss. Anyway, I am 5'9" and I ride a medium Spitfire. There's nothing I don't like about this bike. I run a 50mm stem and fit seems to be fine even on the longer rides I do. I know I could play it safe and get a medium Rune but I'm not trying to replace my Spitfire as a trail bike, I want to build up the Rune as a light mini-DH bike. So my question is, is there anyone about my size running a large Rune? How does it fit? I would like to ride it on the trails too but I want it to be more purpose built towards the gravity side of things so I was thinking large for more stability. Serious thoughts and smart-ass comments are welcome.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. tomasis7

tomasis7 stroganoff

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 65
    I ride large Rune V and my height 5.10.

I use Syntace 30mm and 760mm bar, its perfect!

• Useful Useful x 1
  22. MrBaker87

MrBaker87 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    3 / 15
    I am 5'9" and have a medium Rune. I have unusually short legs and a long torso for my height. I run 170mm cranks, short stem, 780mm bars and a 150mm KS internally routed dropper. Looking at the position of my seatpost collar, I think I would only just about clear the amount of room left with an 1" longer seatpost of the LARGE frame size (i.e. seatpost would have to be slammed to get full extension with a 150mm dropper). Maybe not.

However; as I mentioned, I have unusually short legs for my height. My bestfriend who is the exact same height ran my seatpost nearly an inch higher when he borrows my bikes.

That being said, everything else about the large frame size seems amazing. I would have preferred it me thinks.

On another note, mine is built up as a miniDH bike/bomber enduro.

DH wheelset (in fact, I love it because I can swap wheels back and forth with my Sunday as I only run dual plys and the axle sizes (150x12 110x20) are the same on both bikes as well as rotors. Best bike I have ever owned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  23. time-bomb

time-bomb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    Thanks guys, both posts are helpful. I feel like I have a short inseam - 32" - but turns out that is about average. I think I can manage the large w/short stem as long as the stand over clearance is sufficient. I'll be going from 697mm of stand over on the Spitty to 734mm on the L Rune. That's my biggest concern.

How is the chain line running 150x12? That is something else I have come to love w/these frames, all the options and relatively future proof since you can go 650b w/little change if you want. Do you need to make any adjustments on bb or cranks to accommodate the chain line for 150x12?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dirk77

Dirk77 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 48
    I ride a large rune V2. I'm 5'-10". But I have really long legs too.. I can measure 35" to my crotch standing flat footed.

Love that bike! Desperately waiting to see what banshee has in store for the next rune/spitfire frames.

25. wiscodh

wiscodh Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 59
    Didn't think about the dark side?

• Winner Winner x 1
  26. tomasis7

tomasis7 stroganoff

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 65
    dirk, is your rune that bad? :D

timebmb, Im not sure about chainline. I ran both 150x12 and 142x12. Im not anal about setting derailleur/chain right. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  27. time-bomb

time-bomb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    yes, but the more research i did on it the more i found it isn't going to be a good bike for the trails too. the rune sounds like it can handle a bike park fine and it will have no problem w/the trails. the darkside looks awesome but i'm not able to get out to lift access parks enough right now to justify a dedicated DH bike or park bike. so i need something that can handle the bike parks on the handful of rides i'll do there this year but be able to ride the trails well too. i know i have the spitfire for that but i don't like the idea of spending a lot of money a bike i can only ride occasionally.

28. jstuhlman

jstuhlman We noticed.

Rep/Likes:
    341 / 3,540
    that's why my one bike for all is teh uzzi. the darkside is high on my list for next bikes. there's really nothing else (somewhat mainstream) out there right now in that range.

#28 -   Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  29. wiscodh

wiscodh Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 59
    well I rode the spitfire everywhere, I thought it made whistler more fun, I think it would be financially redic to have a spitfire and a rune.....but I don't know your purse strings...

• Like Like x 1
  30. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 2
    Keep in mind that the Spitfire has about 10mm more reach than the Rune (both medium and large). TBH, a Spitty and Rune combo seems very redundant to me. A Darkside creates much more space between the two even if it is not so pedal friendly.

We have our last medium Rune at the shop until late fall. Contact me if you'd like to grab it!

31. time-bomb

time-bomb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    Hmmm, that's good to know. I think the large would be the way to go w/30mm stem.

I agree, there is a lot over lap between the two frames but if I can't ride the bike on trails then it isn't worth having right now. I'm just not going to be able to do enough DH riding to justify a dedicated DH bike and I'd like something that will give me a little more margin for error than I think the Spitfire will when going to a resort.

Must think more......

32. tomasis7

tomasis7 stroganoff

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 65
    For me, Rune is like swiss-knife tool. Pick any wheelset and run it. From bomber to XC.

On descent, it is very stable and, for climbing, no problems even with 64Ha angle. I don't see Spitfire being different from Rune except some weight loss but less stiffness in the frame. I rather have one bike with a different wheelsets (trail XC and Enduro/Dh).

To have two similar bikes is "costly", how about putting money on more fancy suspensions :D or adding a hardtail which complements Rune more which it is in my case.

#32 -   Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  33. time-bomb

time-bomb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 10
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree, it is costly to have two bikes so closely related. I love the Spitty so I am hesitant to replace it but that may be the smarter move. Get the Rune as the one do all bike and put money into parts for lighter or heavier builds depending on the type of riding I will be doing that day.

34. supercow

supercow Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 125
    I personally found the Spitfire to be a more capable bike, than the Rune. Even though it has a little bit less travel out back, I ran mine with a 160mm fork. Tried a Rune, but it just didn't have the same "in the bike" feel that the Spitty had. I felt more perched on top. The extra reach on the Spitty also makes it a better handler for me.

35. djjohnr

djjohnr Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    22 / 397
    What about getting a 180mm bike to complement the Spitfire?

36. kidwoo

kidwoo Celebrating No-Pants Day

Rep/Likes:
    158 / 1,507
    I love when threads get bumped and it takes me 10 minutes to realize I'm reading posts from 3 years ago.

time well spent!

37. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    383 / 3,695
    because its got electrolytes?

38. aenema

aenema Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 58
    Go away!, Batin'!

39. jonKranked

jonKranked Press Button, Receive Stupid

Rep/Likes:
    383 / 3,695
    Hey speaking of these bikes, anyone got a set out 26" dropouts they don't need anymore?