Quantcast

Banshee Slopestyle Bike

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
looks sweet as hell, "slopestyle" eh. I say mini DH...Transition is going to have some competition this year...Wonder how many Bottlerocket or Banshee threads we will see around :rolleyes:...

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
its a faux-bar SP
Why does everyone perpetuate what is essentially a marketing term? The marketing department of (Specialized?) should really give themselves a pat on the back to have it used so commonly.
I am probably weird, but to me it just conjures up feeling similar to any fatist/ageist/racist comment everytime I hear it. Maybe suspensionist? Rant over.:disgust:

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Its another slopestyle bike is all. Options are good for people looking for these types of bikes. 1.5" headtube, and it is supposed to ring at 7lbs.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i can't wait to see the geo numbers

btw - it is a single pivot. there is a pivot by the BB and the "bar" that is connected to that is the same as the one connected to the axle, thus making it a single pivot. the other "bars" are just linkage parts to actuate the shock.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
btw - it is a single pivot. there is a pivot by the BB and the "bar" that is connected to that is the same as the one connected to the axle, thus making it a single pivot. the other "bars" are just linkage parts to actuate the shock.

The similarities between this linkage and a single pivot go as far as axle path and braking characteristics. You can not call a 4 bar linkage a single pivot, for a start it has 4 pivots! The strength and stiffness characteristics are far superior to a single pivot bike of equal weight due to having 2 spaced pivot points on the main frame offering a higher effective second moment of area. also the leverage ratio can be tuned a lot better to what you want, and the shock mount is placed near the BB where there is strength rather than mid tube.

so basically you cannot call this a single pivot design.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The similarities between this linkage and a single pivot go as far as axle path and braking characteristics. You can not call a 4 bar linkage a single pivot, for a start it has 4 pivots! The strength and stiffness characteristics are far superior to a single pivot bike of equal weight due to having 2 spaced pivot points on the main frame offering a higher effective second moment of area. also the leverage ratio can be tuned a lot better to what you want, and the shock mount is placed near the BB where there is strength rather than mid tube.

so basically you cannot call this a single pivot design.
yes i can, because it is.

i don't care how you brace it for strength, stiffness, and leverage ratio; the "suspension" part of the equation is based on the one pivot.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
what about the leverage ratio... that is a very important part of the suspension, and a much better leverage ratio can be achieved by using 4 bar oer single pivot.

it's like saying that there is no difference between a wolf and a chiwawa, because they are both dogs!

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
It may be an overcomplicated single pivot, but it's still a single pivot. One pivot between the axle and the BB means its a singlepivot.

If you took a bullit and angled the shock correctly in relation to the Raxle and Mpivot, you could produce a leverage ratio very similar to any Kona style single pivot.

Point is, its a single pivot. Multi pivot = FSR, DW, VPP, Karpiel, etc.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
As a good friend said when seeing this ultrasecret cad drawing for the first time...

"Eh?"

Do something neat, Banshee. This qualifies as...eh.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
As a good friend said when seeing this ultrasecret cad drawing for the first time...

"Eh?"

Do something neat, Banshee. This qualifies as...eh.
My feelings exactly. The only statistic that really stands out is "1.2lbs lighter than the bottlerocket" But other than that, im kinda underwhelmed

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
It may be an overcomplicated single pivot, but it's still a single pivot. One pivot between the axle and the BB means its a singlepivot.

If you took a bullit and angled the shock correctly in relation to the Raxle and Mpivot, you could produce a leverage ratio very similar to any Kona style single pivot.

Point is, its a single pivot. Multi pivot = FSR, DW, VPP, Karpiel, etc.
hahah ok well you are free to believe that if you wish, I personally know that you are overlooking so many factors. but yes the axle path is like a single pivot.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
My feelings exactly. The only statistic that really stands out is "1.2lbs lighter than the bottlerocket" But other than that, im kinda underwhelmed
so what your saying is that you would like a new style linkage every year, even if the new linkage is not as good as the old one for the desired purpose.

The bottlerocket uses the same linkage as the wildcard. only differences are that it weighs more, has a high centre of gravity due to shock placement, and longer linkage arms so has potential to flex more.

Yet I didn't see anyone comment on is being too similar...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i like the rig. i might post up some $$$ for it when it hits the streets. 1.2lbs lighter, a bit more suspension adjustment. i gotta look at the rest of the BR numbers to see what else is different. i want to see what it looks like though. the bling factor will need to be there. i also hope banshee doesn't over-leverage the shock like they have done in the past.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
anyone else notice that they did not use the V4B suspension design from the Pyre on this. wonder why?
Using the faux-bar linkage for this bike resulted in a stiffer and stronger rear end. Just using the best tool for the job. The VF4B linkage is best suited to shorter travel more XC / epic bikes.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
I think that a true single pivot bike like the ones santa cruz is still making are great handling bikes.The technology may be old but they have tweeked it to a very high degree of mtb bike fineness.I prefer thier single pivot to the vpp for many types of riding.
I see no reason to rework a whole susp.design every year or so instead of refineing it and getting everything you can out of it.That, to me is what is wrong with this sport today.Everything is dumpded every couple of years for the next holy grail of susp.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
I completely agree with you. Bikes like the bullit and the oranges, etc, all ride very well. Balfa/Appalache, Foes, Yeti, etc. The new Honda bikes are single pivots. There is no reason for the added weight and complexity of the walking beam. I highly doubt it is stronger in the application it is used, considering how thin a lot of that material and how small the pivots generally are when compared to single pivot bikes of the same weight. Granted, the load is dispersed on a great area, thus dissipating some of the stress, but I highly doubt that it comes close to a solid single pivot bike without a linkage.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
hahah ok well you are free to believe that if you wish, I personally know that you are overlooking so many factors. but yes the axle path is like a single pivot.
Factors like...

"Oh sh!t, we were late to the slopestyle party..." ?

Go ahead and say it. No one will think any different of Banshee, I assure you.

It's just annoying when a company pumps out a bike that is no different than anything else already out and overhypes it, claiming it to be the latest and greatest in "non-single pivot technology".

:pirate2:

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Granted, the load is dispersed on a great area, thus dissipating some of the stress, but I highly doubt that it comes close to a solid single pivot bike without a linkage.
What exactly are you basing this one? Just a hunch? Or do you live in a world that has different laws of physics? Maybe you should read some engineering material to gain a better understanding of everyday mechanics before stating your guesses as fact.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
Factors like...

"Oh sh!t, we were late to the slopestyle party..." ?

It's just annoying when a company pumps out a bike that is no different than anything else already out and overhypes it, claiming it to be the latest and greatest in "non-single pivot technology".

:pirate2:
actually I don't think we are "late to the party" most bike companies do not have a slopestyle specific bike yet.

we just stated the facts, if you feel thats over hyping it, then thats fine, the shock is not swingarm actuated, there for it is not single pivot, although the axle path is as if it was single pivot.. ok think we have gone over that point enough. We stand by our products, and we believe in them. There are a lot of haters out there apparently (which personally I think is weird, cos if anything that just holds the sport back) so don't buy one if you don't want to, but hopefully the people that do buy them will love the way they ride.

We didn't even want people to discover the industry blog, it was originally intended for distributers and such like, if there has been hype about the bike, then thats great, but we didn't start it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
honestly, i think the low single pivot is great for a slopestyle bike. the wheelbase shortens as it compresses (unlike other high pivots menioned) making for a snappy feel in the corners. high pivots are great in rough stuff, but when was the last time you had to plow a rock garden at whistler?

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
honestly, i think the low single pivot is great for a slopestyle bike. the wheelbase shortens as it compresses (unlike other high pivots menioned) making for a snappy feel in the corners. high pivots are great in rough stuff, but when was the last time you had to plow a rock garden at whistler?
you just hit the nail on the head there mate!