Quantcast

Bar ends?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I was just looking at ODAT to see what crap it is I need to purchase to feed my addictions today, and I saw a set of bar ends on there.

When was the last time anyone used bar ends? I think the last bike I had them on was my 1997 Specialized Stump Jumper. After that I discovered the magic of riser bars, and that was the end of my love affair with bar ends.

Do people still use them?

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Really? For some reason I worry now about stuffing one in my ribs and making a mess of one of my tattoos.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I see bar ends used for hanging plastic bags on when collecting bottles and cans. We have a community bike shed that gives bikes to homeless people and low income people and lots of them have bar ends.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz

Turns out you can use them to help make a threesum happen!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I still like them. I wouldn't rock them because I don't want you vultures to make fun of me. :p

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Really? For some reason I worry now about stuffing one in my ribs and making a mess of one of my tattoos.
how about worrying about stuffing another mallomar in your face and continuing the manifest-destiny expansion of your belly and resulting distortion of all of your tattoos?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
mmmn Bar Ends...start at Toms place south of Mammoth and drop down Lower Rock Creek trail. 10 miles and 2500 verticle feet of descent on exquiste technical single track that end at the Paradise Lodge Bar for some cold ones before you ride the pavement back up to do another loop.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Will bar ends become the new accessory for fixie hipsters? Hold on to those spare bar ends because they may be considered vintage and worth lots of money in a few years.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Man, I have even been avoiding the ever so amazing Cadburry Eggs. You, sir, can kiss my ass in the chocolaty center!

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I was all about the bar ends from '91 till '05 when I got my current bike. I really liked them for climbing but also since I didn't have lock ons they kept my grips from flying off in wet weather. Now I have Eron grips with a little bar end but I never grab them (they are too small) but they do give me a little more confidence that my hands won't slide off the bar and some bash protection. I think they also might protect the brake levers in a crash.

http://www.rei.com/product/752277/ergon-performance-grip-gc2-l

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Ever since I broke my hand trying to kick a field goal through two trees off a double I have thought about tossing a pair of those on my dh bike.
i know someone who uses them on their DH bike with the plastic guard on it as well. he had a similar experience as you and has used em ever since

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
When I'm on a flat section cranking along, I still rest my hands where bar ends should be.

But I'm not putting them on my bike. You hook those suckers once, and you remember it for a long time. More than 15 years, in my case...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I still use bar ends. The trails I usually ride aren't that tight and I find it nice to have an alternative hand position or two. This is a somewhat older pic of the bike I have them on; still using the same bar ends now:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was all about the bar ends from '91 till '05 when I got my current bike. I really liked them for climbing but also since I didn't have lock ons they kept my grips from flying off in wet weather. Now I have Eron grips with a little bar end but I never grab them (they are too small) but they do give me a little more confidence that my hands won't slide off the bar and some bash protection. I think they also might protect the brake levers in a crash.

http://www.rei.com/product/752277/ergon-performance-grip-gc2-l

I use the Ergons without bar ends.

TheMooshoo pointed out that he knew I would, considering I ride a hardtail 29er. I fit this stereotype perfectly.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I run a pair on my xc bike. The 90s era ones with the slight curve to them. They offer a variety of hand positions that you can't get with regular bars. I've never hooked anything even with the 26.5" bars I have. The bike climbs like a rocket when I'm on them, the rear wheel gets so much traction and my chest opens up so I can breathe better.

But I don't look as cool as you.

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
I had some Ergons on my road bike when I had flat bars on it. But I switched to drop bars and sent the Ergons to 4xboy for RMSS. I kinda missed the boat on bar ends. I didn't start riding til the end of the 90's :D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I dunno. When I've got a flat bar on my bike I usually go through a phase where I toss the old semi-stubby bontrager bar-ends on and ride them like that for a while.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I use the Ergons without bar ends.

TheMooshoo pointed out that he knew I would, considering I ride a hardtail 29er. I fit this stereotype perfectly.
I draw the line where you are at. As soon as that seven or steel niner frame shows up at your door along with a 1 1/8 adapter your lefty, I don't think I can be seen riding with you anymore.