Quantcast

Bar height - how low do you go

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just to see the difference I lower the bar one spacer down. I only did a short ride but it felt pretty good and it was nice to tuck down in head win. What setup do you guys run?

PS Had another cramp today this time in my foot :rant: Really strange and it took some time to get rid of it. I know I should have had more to drink before the ride but I am not sure my shoes are and pedal combo is just right.

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
No old Shimano 1999 XC shoes. No carbon before the next year I think.

Yes, I am in need of new shoes but I am on a budget.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I keep my bars as low as they can go because Scott bikes tend to have taller head tubes.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have the Tarmac with the "Team" geometry, which has a shorter than standard HT, and I've got my stem slammed as low as it will go.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I keep my bars fairly "neutral" in positioning - a few small spacers under the stem (+8 deg. IIRC), but I'm also on a Tarmac right now with a pretty low front end to begin with, and I have a shorter torso so I can't go super low.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I also run a Tarmac and I also have a shorter torso. I still have two spacers below the bar so there is a lot of room to experiment.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
My bike seems to have a pretty short headtube. I run a few small spacers under the stem (which is probably in the -8 deg range). From the saddle to the tops it's probaby near 3 inches.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
1 2mm spacer, and my bike has a short headtube. I think what is more important is the relative difference in height between the seat, and the bars. I think I run around 5" or so of drop from the seat to the bars.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Idealy you go low enough that your back is flat when on the drops with a good bend in the elbows, and not hurt. You have to be comfortable enough that it doesn't hurt in the back or neck for extended periods of time. You'll often see riders in the grand tours ride a bit more upright as the long continuous racing days require a less agressive and therefore energy saving position. Nagging neck pain will make you slower overall.