OK, grip center to floor.

travel not important.

how low do you like to ride your bars?

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
Hey Alex,

For me bar height is a relationship to BB height. Maybe you should ask for bar height less the BB height?

Now that I think about it a bit more, you should be measuring bar height less BB height when the rider is on the bike. Most DH/FR bikes sag more in the back than the front.

When you say center of bar do you mean the center of the bar where the stem clamps or the center of the bar at the end of your grips?

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Okay, I was reading buzutch's post about travel and someone mentioned Rifle running a stem upside down to lower Bar height. If this is true why aren't people running straight/flat bars? Is it because of the sweep options on DH bars?

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Riser Bars disperse vibrations better than Flat Bars, for one. I think the sweep/rise combo is more ergonomic, at least it feels more comfortable to me.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
im at 41.5 but would love lower just waiting for my new deity .5inch bars. my old yeti must have been like -10 i had them soooo low it was sweet

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
just at that height where your elbows rest comfortably on the bar as you're knockin down a cold one.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
41.5 with 40s thomson flat stem and Syncros carbon bars 1 0r 1,5 rise,just under 15 on my BB.
Lower faster better corner control Vs Higher better Hucking or steep techo confidence,any other theories?

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
42.5 with 170mm 66rc on my bighit. 2in rise bars and 10degree stem.

I plan to have the bars an inch lower when I get my 1.5 inch rise bar and turn my stem upsidedown.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i'm @ 41.5 with my 29ers 5.5'' fork travel, 1.5 WTB rise bar, WTB Ti stem flipped and below top crown.
thats with my 6'' head tube!!!

i am doing all this to see if 29 bar height is a problem. seems most
are at about 41, with a smaller head tube you could do a 40 bar height.
without the top crown above the stem, thanks for the idea patineto.

MikeT

Monkey
Feb 17, 2002
Hell
39.8 on Transition Bottlerocket, with a low rise ea50, 45mm/slight rise stem, zero stack headset, 66rc2x, mtx rim, sun ringle hub, michelin comp 16 front tire

so BCD, what is this statistic for? just because? for engineering plans? for a government report:rofl: ?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
bcd said:
i'm @ 41.5 with my 29ers 5.5'' fork travel, 1.5 WTB rise bar, WTB Ti stem flipped and below top crown.
thats with my 6'' head tube!!!

i am doing all this to see if 29 bar height is a problem. seems most
are at about 41, with a smaller head tube you could do a 40 bar height.
without the top crown above the stem, thanks for the idea patineto.

why does it look like with your 29er wheels that you'll bottom out on your tire-to-frame before you'll bottom out in travel alone?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Have you put a new shock mount on or are you running a shorter shock to get that nice BB height now(guessing 15,not ideal but for a modification it's good). Has that made the forks lazier and how dopey does it feel with the 29 up front also,or did you have room to move in the crowns?
Are you going to make wider crowns and swingarm and hubs to get a stronger wheel?
Have you had to sacrafice fork travel?
Are the 29s good or are you just stubborn(no offence)?
Looks great for long rides.
Points for stepping out of the square. Sorry if any of my questions have been asked before,it looks very interesting and I'm keen to know more.
Are we looking at the new style enduro down hill(avalanche style)bike of the future?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Have you put a new shock mount on or are you running a shorter shock to get that nice BB height now(guessing 15,not ideal but for a mood it's good).
its at 14'' the wheel axles are at 14.25.
there is a little flop from the slack head angle, normal for a dh bike.

Are you going to make wider crowns and swingarm and hubs to get a stronger wheel?
if you use a white is is spaced at 120x20. i make hubs for the front
that are dishless and have had NO wheel trouble at all. the rear is dishless also using a WTB ss hub with 5 cogs on it. more that enought for dh racing.

Have you had to sacrafice fork travel?
about 6 front-6 rear
not a sacrafice. an improvment. the wheels roll over not into big hits
so you don't need as much travel. the bike "skips" across rock not plows into them.

Are the 29s good or are you just stubborn(no offence)?
no fluk here. they are good and getting better as new discoverys are
being made monthly.

Are we looking at the new style enduro down hill(avalanche style)bike of the future?
or dh race, works great for both, tires and forks are what we need
b/f they will really catch on, and they will.

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Does one need a riser bar because they are the best shape for a bar, or does a tall front end simple call for a flat bar, like roadies once started using drop bars?
If you like a certain (low) bar height on a 29" (I prefer the term 30") DH bike, see how short the head tube can be without becoming too weak, and shop for a trials handlebar or something like that. The 15º swept (but not reach affecting) On-One Fleegle bar weighs like 355g, so it should hold nicely.
I've got long arms, and use pretty low bar height even for an XC'er, for a 29" 4-cross bike with 100mm travel I am probably going for a flat bar like that. Dreaming of a 17" Redline Monocog built like that...$250 and a decent rigid fork left to sell for $40-50. I like the 21" frame I got in for SS XC use.

BCD, are you planning a dedicated frame for the larger wheels, ready to take bigger tires with more room to spare? I think with larger wheels even chickens like myself can deliver some multi-foot drops and decent DH times. Large wheels rock off-road like shopping cart casters suck even on a parking lot.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Cloxxki said:
BCD, are you planning a dedicated frame for the larger wheels, ready to take bigger tires with more room to spare? I think with larger wheels even chickens like myself can deliver some multi-foot drops and decent DH times. Large wheels rock off-road like shopping cart casters suck even on a parking lot.
well it will be able to use both.
as well you know you can't convert everyone.
i don't want to narrow my potential buyers.
carbon dh bikes narrows it enough already!

dhpunk~

Chimp
Jan 23, 2005
Canada
an ugly 43" to grip/ 2"rise Answer ProTaper/e.13 ali/05 Boxxer
14.5BB height on my Morewood Izumi.

would a lower rise bar make it harder to manual, or atleast require more force to pull back than the 2" riser i have already?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yes if the bolts were a little different.
but the limit on how low i can go is
the pinchbolts on the bar

it is not coming off of there.

i do with it was leval, maybe i can roll my bar forward.

EDIT: nice first post.

whay is feldy bikes?

Edit II: new bar pic. look a little better

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
40.5''

7'' boxxer team, S.I.C. integrated stem, no spacers, easton ea50 super low rise bars (nearly flat)

13.8 bb height, 8'' travel

anything taller in the front end with such a low bb makes my body position feel too upright

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
41" bar height on a dhr w/ 888, 14" bb height. if someone made a stem for the 888 that was lower than the stock one i would get it in a heart beat.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
bar height- bb height

HT Slalom bike 26.25"
FS Slalom bike 26.25"
DH bike 26.5"

There is a sweet spot for me. With an 8" fork, 14" bb it's at or right below 41"