Quantcast

Bar rise comparison between brands

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Do all bar manufacturers measure rise the same? I recall some discussion in the BMX/DJ forum concerning manufacturers some measuring top to top rather than center to center (not unlike width on road bars). I'd really like to know if the rise on a 30mm Funn Fatboy is going to be the same as a 30mm Holzfeller.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
I purchased some Syncros bars which are low rise and they were supposed to be fairly similar to some Race Face ones I have. Anyway when I got them they looked higher rise than stated so I had to double check pretty much. The only explanation I have is that the difference in apperance is mainly due to the fact that the two bars have different sweep angles (syncros is 9n5, racefaces are 5n4 or something weird, it's an xc bar).

The other point of difference is that 31.8 bars can vary with how thick they are, if it's just at the clamp area or all the way through the bends, which of course can give them a different appearance.

So yes your question is an interesting one, and I can't really answer it. I was curious if rise was measured the same way between brands and if it takes sweep angles into account at all, well in particular the upsweep.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
Yeah the upsweep is the main factor in why two would be different. The company's probably measured the actual rise from the center of the bar to the top of the bend to either side, not the end.

The other factor i'd say is bar width, with bar with upsweep, the longer the bar, the higher each end would be.