Quantcast

bar sweep and bend

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im looking for a new handlebar to replace my Deity Dirty30 and was curious on another bar with a similar sweep and bend. it has a 9* bend x 5* upsweep w/ a 1" rise.

I found the Chromag Fubars OSX which has a 8* bend and 5* upsweep and was curious if that 1* in the bend would actually be noticeable. the ODI Flight Control bars has the same specs as the Deity's but would they feel the same despite being a different mfg? the Wingtips is a nice idea to try out a super wide bar or a narrower bar without having to cut it.
i like the feel of my Deity's but wanted to try something different. id really like the Enve DH bars but dont want to spend that much on a bar (and its carbon:panic:) any other choices?

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I love my Chromag bars. Found a review below.

singletrackgeek.com

I have been riding these Chromag bars for a few months now, I came from Easton EA70's that were a few years old so it was past time to put new bars on the bike. I originally ordered the lighter and not quite as wide OS bars, but they were out and instead sent these sexy smoky chrome OSX bars.

I was a little leery of the length, 30" (760mm) is REALLY wide and coming from my old Easton bars...well it was a bit of a change. I was also not too sold on the chrome finish....not one into bling and showy parts, but I gotta say it has really grown on me and gets a lot of compliments too. The one area where I find it hinders me is on night rides, when I am pushing my fat ass up a steep hill I look down...and a lot of the time my helmet mounted lights catch the shiny surface and blinds me in the process...lol, but never notice it while riding.
The reason I bought the OSX Fubars was becuase of the weight, upsweep and bend were what I wanted out of a set of bars, add to that they are a BC company and it was a no brainer. And the more I ride the wide bars, I love them, it helps that I am 6'4" with wide shoulders and ape arms, so if you are smaller you may want to cut them down a little. So far I have only crashed once from clipping a tree, but I definitely notice the length in the tight BC singletrack...some areas where I was able to sneak in between the trees...now I am not, so if you ride a lot of trails like that...maybe opt for some skinnier bars, or break out the pipe cutter, but be VERY careful...you cut them too short and your pooched. :)

So far they have been great bars...strong, light, sexy and they feel great, what more could you ask for?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I can definitely feel a difference between a 9x5 like Deity and Sunline, and an 8x4 like Race Face and Answer. I've been through a lot of bars, and 9x5 is what works for me, so I stick with it.

If you like Deity, why not stick with them? Try the Blacklabel bar, it's great. It's slightly lower, but not by much. I've been riding one this season and love it.

As for the same sweep from different manufacturers, my Sunlines and Deity's both feel the same to me, and are both 9x5.

That headset thread got me looking at Candy Components. Their bars are 8.5x5.5, which sounds like nice geometry too.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If you like Deity, why not stick with them? Try the Blacklabel bar, it's great. It's slightly lower, but not by much. I've been riding one this season and love it.

As for the same sweep from different manufacturers, my Sunlines and Deity's both feel the same to me, and are both 9x5.
i thought about the BlackLabel bars but still really prefer the 25mm rise that the D30 has. i am glad to see that they addressed the powdercoat problem on their new bars that the original D30 had too (i stripped one set i have b/c the paint came off.) i also cant get Deity bars unless i EP them direct from them.

its also good to know that at least two bars feel the same that have the same specs

MmmBones

Monkey
May 8, 2011
Porkland, OR
Renthals are 9x5. Great bars too! Even if they are a little portly. ENVEs are worth the $. After a year of riding DH with them, mine still look and perform great. KORE OCDs (8x5) are worth a gander as well.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i'm not sure what the numbers are but i absolutely love my renthal bars....they just feel right...
they are 7*/5*. i got a chance to do the parking lot test on my buddy's Demo 8 w/ them and they felt nice. the gold is a bit much for me and id like to keep the weight around the same

Even if they are a little portly. ENVEs are worth the $. After a year of riding DH with them, mine still look and perform great. KORE OCDs (8x5) are worth a gander as well.
the ENVE's are more then twice as much as the others though. id also like to not worry about over tightening a part on my carbon bar

Last edited:

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
they are 7*/5*. i got a chance to do the parking lot test on my buddy's Demo 8 w/ them and they felt nice. the gold is a bit much for me and id like to keep the weight around the same

the ENVE's are more then twice as much as the others though. id also like to not worry about over tightening a part on my carbon bar
understandable...the gold is fairly subdued(for gold anyway) and the bar is a tank as far as bars are concerned, but that's one of the few places i have no qualms about paying a 100 gram penalty...they're stiff as hell, feel right, and they're renthal...that company simply doesn't make a bad product...i'm curious what you end up with, it's funny how personal handlebars are....good luck man

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
I've been through a few bars in my day and the 9x5 always comes back, but i personally find that a change in the up sweep to be less noticeable than compared to the back sweep, so i'm still ok with 9x4 or 9xX. any change in the back sweep though feels terrible for me, especially when the bars are longer and the change is more pronounced

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Really happy with my Kore Torsion. I think it's 9x4, IIRC. Bunch of rise options, and pretty cheap to boot.

BigBoi

Monkey
Oct 31, 2011
Long Island, NY
I like my Renthal. The gold is subdued and don't mind the extra weight after bending my Answer Protaper earlier in the summer. It doesn't come in 25mm rise though, just 20mm and 38mm.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Im rocking the flight control.LOVE the bar,and its fun little ajustibilities.

I tend to roll all my bars forward to have a no backsweep feel,I find the flightcontrol is one of the bars I like more.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Really happy with my Kore Torsion. I think it's 9x4, IIRC. Bunch of rise options, and pretty cheap to boot.
I had a pair of 800mm/32" torsions and they were surprisingly comfortable. Some noticeable flex, I think, but not surprising considering the length. I used to run RF atlas bars and felt no difference in "geometry" but they were a bit stiffer and shorter, which worked for me. The kores are absolute monsters, but were only $45....I took them off because my e13 stem damaged them, but I traded them to woody and he still runs them on his superq.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
those sound like theyd be good on a chopper
They probably wouldn't feel as weird as you think. I run Deity on my DH bike, Truvativ on my AM (9*/5*) and a Salsa flat bar (11* sweep) on my XC bike. Feels just fine. The extra sweep isn't necessary for me for DH, but I think it makes longer XC rides better.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have some 9 and 8deg bars and they sit on the shed wall 5x2.5 is the magic number for me, it forces you to run your elbows up and out and in my opinion gives you more control and allows better shock absorbtion through the upper body.

I've tried all the different bends and I find the Controltech Venom and the K9 static the best for me, it gets your elbows out and your weight forward, win win.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
With those fancy replacement cranks you got, why not try the Atlas bars?
id like to stick with something that has a 20-25mm rise to it. ive tried the ATlas FR's on someone's bike and it felt too flat for my liking

They probably wouldn't feel as weird as you think. I run Deity on my DH bike, Truvativ on my AM (9*/5*) and a Salsa flat bar (11* sweep) on my XC bike. Feels just fine. The extra sweep isn't necessary for me for DH, but I think it makes longer XC rides better.
i can see it being okay for a XC ride, but it would take me a while to get used to since i use the D30's on my AM and DH bike

I have some 9 and 8deg bars and they sit on the shed wall 5x2.5 is the magic number for me, it forces you to run your elbows up and out and in my opinion gives you more control and allows better shock absorbtion through the upper body.

I've tried all the different bends and I find the Controltech Venom and the K9 static the best for me, it gets your elbows out and your weight forward, win win.
i have no problem riding with my elbows out on my Deity's. if i wanted something like a 5x2.5, id just ride a flat bar honestly

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Oh noes, full retail! I hear you, I don't have a shop pricing hookup, but the Mennonite in me is always looking for a deal.

Regarding the finish, my Blacklabel's have been solid. Every bit as good an an ano fininsh from any other manufaturer. Nothing like the old painted finish that flaked if you looked at it wrong.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Oh noes, full retail! I hear you, I don't have a shop pricing hookup, but the Mennonite in me is always looking for a deal.

Regarding the finish, my Blacklabel's have been solid. Every bit as good an an ano fininsh from any other manufaturer. Nothing like the old painted finish that flaked if you looked at it wrong.
i have a hard time paying retail for anything bike related now....even though i know i can sometimes buy parts online cheaper then we can get them at the shop. :think:

i know theyre anno now, but the finish on the ends still seem reminiscent of their old bars. i guess its because its "bead-blasted" now too. their old finish was indeed terrible.

deity-

Chimp
Dec 20, 2008
Our new lines of handlebars just launched last week and they are not only stronger, but they are also a vast departure in terms of finish quality, detail, and style. The Blacklabel, Dirty30, and Topsoil feature our two tone bead blast and mirror polished ano finish which is nothing remotely close to our old powdercoat finish. The entire handlebar is anodized, the finish is as durable as it gets, and you would be hard pressed to find anything that looks quite like it.

Those are not two tone graphics that rub off…they are part of the ano finish and are incredible in person. To be honest, our new bars are untouchable and you may want to consider taking a look at one.

The only thing similar to the old Dirty30 is the angles, width, and material. Outside of that, all of the butting process (our GBT butting), finish, graphics, etc. is completely different. They are next level gear and the best work we have ever done….

deity Dirty30 Handlebar (4).jpgdeity Dirty30 Handlebar (6).jpgdeity Dirty30 Handlebar (8).jpgdeity Dirty30 Handlebar (9).jpgdeity Topsoil (5).jpgdeity Topsoil (15).jpgdeity Topsoil (10).jpgdeity Topsoil (19).jpgdeity Blacklabel Handlebar (1).jpg

read up on them deity ::: The Handlebars

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
bars are like saddles and underwear its all personal.

Dear deity dont be upset,your not the hipsters ;)

p.s I remember wen deity emerged onto the scene.

pretty much braught white back into the industry.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lol? horrible colors have been around as long as mtbing has been around. In the 90s there was an unspoken award for having the most gaudy anodized parts on your bike, with "king of all mtbs" being awarded to anyone riding an entirely 3d violet or rasta bike.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Jon don't be upset because you roll deity bars.

I don't spell check cause I'm careless wen it comes to grammar or peoples feelings on how people should properly spell and accord grammar rules.

Oh ****,no spell check lines.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jon don't be upset because you roll deity bars.

I don't spell check cause I'm careless wen it comes to grammar or peoples feelings on how people should properly spell and accord grammar rules.

Oh ****,no spell check lines.
i guess you're right. grammar and spelling are irrelevant when spewing uninformed opinions

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
id like to stick with something that has a 20-25mm rise to it. ive tried the ATlas FR's on someone's bike and it felt too flat for my liking
But did you like the bend? If you have access to a pair, demo them.

I played with spacers a bit on the M9 under my crown to get the height where I liked it. With my Angleset, I have a 10mm spacer under the crown for a total of about 25mm between it and the headtube...

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I hear ya on switching bars. Deity's are very comfortable and natural. Tried to run my old Eastern when building up a second bike a couple years ago and it sucked. I have been running a Chromag OSX and it feels really good. Interested to try a Renthal.