Quantcast

Bar sweep vs. roll

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I ran 12 degree bars after having thumb surgery. Did put a 70mm stem on it. Thumbs are still fucked but I can get away with 9 degree bars and Ergon grips today.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Thomson DH bar that they made in 6/4 sweep was the best handlebar ever. They just needed to make a higher rise version.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
oh man, wait til you find out about

Shit starts getting really flexy when you've got more than about 25 mm of those things under the stem... which I do on a whole lot of modern bikes, even with taller bars than that 12mm rise Thomson.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Shit starts getting really flexy when you've got more than about 25 mm of those things under the stem... which I do on a whole lot of modern bikes, even with taller bars than that 12mm rise Thomson.
I know but I'm drinking whisky and making fun of "back in muh day, thomson did a thing"

work with me here..... I hate mountainbiking. Don't judge.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Give him a break. Stack never grows proportionally with frame size, an issue someone riding a size small will never experience.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@HAB
Steerer tube are pretty thin and light these days... the straight tube on my 2009 36 looks like it's double as thick as anything I came across lately!

Have you tried to swap the original steerer tube for a reinforced one like NDtuned has. The stiffest is the E-Bike Steerer Tube
https://ndtuned.com/en/produtos/tubos-direccao

Or, in the same vibe, Intend has a Stiffler steer tube that is much thicker than what is usually found on RS or Fox forks.

Last option, controversial to some degree, would be to use one of these forks where both stanchions extend to the bar so that you can put an extra plate on top where a so called direct mount stem will fit nicely. The later stem is wider than traditional stems and will therefore improve overall stiffness of the front end noticeably! :brows: :pilot:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Give him a break. Stack never grows proportionally with frame size, an issue someone riding a size small will never experience.
yeah no one could possibly notice that longer frames and wider bars keep people from getting over the back wheel these days, locked in maximum fanny pack presentation mode....signaling to potential mates in search of the perfect vanlife influencer partnership

I dont think Ive ever had a size small frame in my life, but Ive definitely stacked up some bars and spacers. Kind of mandatory where you guys live, if you dare to leave the wholesome confines of duthie hill

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I ride mine in a particular spot for the first ride feel wrists and adjust roll to natural sweep of hands to main position on that bike...wrist, palm, and pinky tell me where I need mine...
All personal no science..

Until recently all bikes have been small for me the new ones I adjusted a slight different for how far back it put me on the reach...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@HAB
Steerer tube are pretty thin and light these days... the straight tube on my 2009 36 looks like it's double as thick as anything I came across lately!

Have you tried to swap the original steerer tube for a reinforced one like NDtuned has. The stiffest is the E-Bike Steerer Tube
https://ndtuned.com/en/produtos/tubos-direccao

Or, in the same vibe, Intend has a Stiffler steer tube that is much thicker than what is usually found on RS or Fox forks.

Last option, controversial to some degree, would be to use one of these forks where both stanchions extend to the bar so that you can put an extra plate on top where a so called direct mount stem will fit nicely. The later stem is wider than traditional stems and will therefore improve overall stiffness of the front end noticeably! :brows: :pilot:
I wonder if he'd make me a 1.5" steerer?
I know it saves a bee's dick in weight making it tapered, but having a 35mm handlebar and a 28.6mm steerer tube seems all sorts of dumb. Yes, I know that OD isn't the final word in strength and stiffness but I don't care about weight so it could be a thick walled 1.5" tube.
No, I don't want to run a dual crown fork at 120mm, I just want a fucking 1.5" steerer so when ol' fatty here mashes the pedals the bar doesn't lift what feels like an inch on one side.

Doesn't matter as much with my current Tor frame as the front triangle twists so much under power.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I wonder if he'd make me a 1.5" steerer?
I know it saves a bee's dick in weight making it tapered, but having a 35mm handlebar and a 28.6mm steerer tube seems all sorts of dumb. Yes, I know that OD isn't the final word in strength and stiffness but I don't care about weight so it could be a thick walled 1.5" tube.
No, I don't want to run a dual crown fork at 120mm, I just want a fucking 1.5" steerer so when ol' fatty here mashes the pedals the bar doesn't lift what feels like an inch on one side.

Doesn't matter as much with my current Tor frame as the front triangle twists so much under power.
I feel like the width of the stem clamp makes a big difference here.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I feel like the width of the stem clamp makes a big difference here.
I have a DMR Defy 35 and it is the most noodly stem I own, it is also the widest.
But the flex is because of stupid design behind the bar clamp.
My previous combo of Profile Helm and an Antidote 35mm bar was brutally stiff, it was awesome. The current Beast Components 35mm bar has a bit more flex but it was the only 35mm rise bar I could find with the sweep I wanted.

But with my current frame the frame twists before the bar deflects too much so it's a non issue.

The antidote bar is still my fav ever bar.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
No, I don't want to run a dual crown fork at 120mm
Sorry, sometimes I forgot that the monkeys are not just about DH and freeride :agree:

My XC rig is a Sultan Turner lower to 110-ish mm of rear travel with a 34 at the front and kind of lightweight wheels. It is noticeably flexy and I love the way it flexes for its purpose. The compliance of each part seems to match the rest of the build in an harmonious and lucky way.

For stems, buy 3D forged 7-serie aluminium for maximum stiffness, whatever models fits your wallet and esthetic criteria. Syntace megaforce stems are very nice if you ask me.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
For stems, buy 3D forged 7-serie aluminium for maximum stiffness, whatever models fits your wallet and esthetic criteria. Syntace megaforce stems are very nice if you ask me.
This. PRO are also very reasonable priced and use 7 series aluminium alloys.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
From my perspective, lowrisers with 9° backsweep and 5° upsweep was the industry default, but i was pleasantly surprised with the 7° backsweep of the renthals, and my giant reign had a bar with 5°... but that felt excessive.
The lower angles really force your elbows behind the grip, opening the chest muscles, ready to absorbe some impacts... maybe even while biking.

Also ordered an integrated downcountry handlebar from Ali™ . It had some weird technical drawing. When the headtube angle is added, I'm guessing the angles will be close to 7/8 back and 3/4 up.
-1099739697-2115195060.jpg

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Whenever I read this thread title, this song pops into my head. Why the fuck - tell me I'm not the only one.

The Profile Helm stems are badass! I've been running Chromag Ranger, DMR Defy, and Profile Helm stems for years now. I haven't had any issues with any of them although the bolts in my Helm stem get all corroded and need replacement. I hear about people having slippage with the DMR stems but haven't experienced it. I guess I'd rather my stem slip than something give way during a wreck.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Profile racing = a company founded in the late 70s producing high quality BMX racing parts and the odd gravity mtb product
Profile designs = a different company founded in the late 80s focusing on road and Time trial parts and the odd XC mtb product

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Yeah. I have a soft spot for profile racing bike parts too. What I maybe should have said is they started making those in the late 70s. Not when the company began almost a decade before BMX was invented

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've still (kinda) got profile cranks. Did up my old robinson BMX and gave it to my GF's son at Christmas. He's no idea what they even are

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Profile racing = a company founded in the late 70s producing high quality BMX racing parts and the odd gravity mtb product
Profile designs = a different company founded in the late 80s focusing on road and Time trial parts and the odd XC mtb product
I'm pretty sure you know I knew.