Quantcast

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
Im 6'4", my bikes too small, so wider bars pull me a little more over it i feel, 30's felt great this past season.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
Hummh, I got back to a 710mm Deity after bending my Funn FullOn bars and... i could not perform a tight turn - not enough leverage to push the bike into the corner. I could not preload the front enough to get the traction on the tire so ended up outside the off camber turns (that's with a softer than avarage fork) and the bike felt like it wanted to get away from me. I'm 5.8 and a bit wide in the shoulders but now i know i cant go back under a 740mm bar :monkeydance:

As for the steep stuff... when i know i can hit it i commit and stay more or less centered - it's harder to fall from it with the wider bars. Same goes with the ladies - if you grab her by the hends in your normal riding position you'll be way more stable than if you grab her by the neck :imstupid:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hummh, I got back to a 710mm Deity after bending my Funn FullOn bars and... i could not perform a tight turn - not enough leverage to push the bike into the corner. I could not preload the front enough to get the traction on the tire so ended up outside the off camber turns (that's with a softer than avarage fork) and the bike felt like it wanted to get away from me. I'm 5.8 and a bit wide in the shoulders but now i know i cant go back under a 740mm bar :monkeydance:

As for the steep stuff... when i know i can hit it i commit and stay more or less centered - it's harder to fall from it with the wider bars. Same goes with the ladies - if you grab her by the hends in your normal riding position you'll be way more stable than if you grab her by the neck :imstupid:
Have you tried anything wider than 740mm? I'm your height but I'm rather slim and I'm wondering about 760mm flat bars.

BTW. Will you be racing at Sopot at the begining of May? ;)

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
I'm 6'3", wide shoulders. Got the Gravity 800mm bars. Felt very wide at first (going from 711mm bars) but great after 1/2 a run. I did find my hands naturally positioned slightly in from the ends so chopped 10mm off each end, now they're spot on.
780mm is good for me. It has vastly improved the feel of the bike, much more stable. My cornering has got much better, including in the tight stuff - I just have more leverage and it actually encourages me to get the bike leant over lower. All in all a huge improvement.

There is no right or wrong, just what suits each individual rider best, but it is a function of body size. And certainly function over fashion!!

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
Have you tried anything wider than 740mm? I'm your height but I'm rather slim and I'm wondering about 760mm flat bars.

BTW. Will you be racing at Sopot at the begining of May? ;)
I've used 740mm Zoo! lowriser (trials), 720mm Pazzaz riser, 750mm Funn FullOn and some smallers bars before those. I've just installed the Shaman Race 750mm bars and i'm still to get some ride time on them but from all the rest the 740mm Zoo! felt more... natural. I would have gone for the 760mm Element Technic Nickel bars but they would not be here before Sopot, so i grabbed the Shaman's (at a great price i might add - i'll be going for the new/lower Shaman bars when they come up :) ). For me the 740-750mm range is pretty spot on. I don't see a reason for you not to try the 760mm and if you don't like it - cut it down

As for Sopot... we attack on tuesday :pirate2: - the new track is sweet :)

Last edited:

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I used 28" bars for a long time on my DH bikes, and decided to dry the 29.5" Sunlines last season. At first they felt really good to me and I appreciate the extra leverage and control of the front wheel. However, over time I felt I was working harder to get my bike through tight turns and felt I was being pulled over the front end more than I wanted. So I cut them down to 28.5", and my riding got a lot better instantly. I was a lot cleaner and faster through the turns and I didn't feel much if any loss in control in the rough.

I do have wide shoulders, but I'm only 5'8". I now feel that arm length is more important than shoulder width when choosing a bar width.

One other thing to mention is that I spend a lot of time riding 31.5" wide bars on my MX bike, so I am do have hundreds of hours of time on really wide bars and still don't feel them necessary for DH for my arm lenght and riding style. I'd like to try installing a steering damper on my MX bike and narrowing the bars 1/2" at a time to see if I like that better.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
I had some trouble with hands moving inwards on the grips, on bars over 30" wide. Sort of shaking in, the angle of the arms being too big.