Quantcast

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
What's up with all of these super wide bars? They aid in stability, but aren't as sensitive and make the bike feel clumsy at times. Are they really necessary? If you're a pro DHer riding your bike at 50mph, than they would help, but are they jut overkill for the rest of us?

Avy Rider

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Muskoka,Canada
I was curious about that very same thing and just went to wider bars from my Answer Pro Tapers to some wider Truvativ models. I'm loving the extra width already. It really gives me more leverage and control. Quite surprising the difference actually.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
I find they are necessary, for one they aide in producing a lower frequency survival call if you become lost in the woods and decide to use your bars as a trumpet. They are also beneficial when battling furry woodland creatures on the trail, I don't really know why but you'd think they would be at least. But let's not forget the most important feature - they allow you to position your brake levers in more different locations than a shorter bar would, and they are also wider which is better.

And <30" is sooo last year.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I have broad shoulders and it feels much more stable and balanced to have that "wider base" feeling. Standard 28s just feel so cramped, I'm only running mine at 30" so i don't think thats stupid wide. But they came stock at 800mm.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
It should be a function of your shoulder width and where you are riding. Not many DH courses are as narrow as a hare scramble MX so I don't really see why you would run them narrower than what feels good.

I ride more MX than DH so it feels weird to ride 26-27" wide bars when I was just on 32" wide MX bars.

Just make sure you pick bars that match the rest of your kit. ;)

RaID

Turbo Monkey
I was a skeptic as well until the weekend. I usually ran 690 bars and they needed replacement I figured i try some 760 bars and if i didnt like them i could always cut em down.

Put them on the weekend for a race, for a very fast open track with no tight trees.
I found the bars helped a lot with stability at high speed and getting you in a more "attack" position allowing to weight the front more. Im still not sure on tighter tree tracks, but i dont see myself going back to the narrow bars anytime soon.

I forgot to mention that the optimal width probably depends on your shoulder width and arm length. Im 6'2" with broad shoulders so i can do wide.

GTIgor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
Moscow, Russia
I have found that the wider bars have really helped with reducing arm pump.
That is really interesting! Does anyone else notice this? As long as i cant ride true DH often - arm pump is a real problem for me.:disgust1: I suppose this effect is more significant for guys with wide shoulders - is it true?

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I've ridden my dirty 30's a few times and really like the feel and extra leverage and handling.

With a smile I must say that within the first 15 seconds of my first ride with the wider bars I clipped a tree and went sliding off the bike... it was definitely one of those "I told you so" moments. I haven't clipped any trees since then though.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I ran the 800mm g-lights when I first came back from breaking my clavicle and separating my AC joint. The width of the bar put my shoulder in a position that took the strain from my weak AC/clavicle area and transfered it to another part of my shoulder that was stronger.

Besides that I hated the bars, I felt like they cramped me more than narrower bars. I had serious issues cornering with the increased width, could not lean the bike to save my life. It put me in a very weird position, it felt like my arms were sticking straight out to the side and like I was tucked on a sportbike. For reference I have average shoulders and arms for someone my height, 6'1". I really dont know how people 5-8" shorter than me run the 29.5" V1s with 1" extensions in each side, or the 800mm g-lights with 1/2" on each side.

It's all personal preference though. I run the 29.5s on my DH bike, and the 28s on my AM/mini DH bike. Thinking about going to the 28s on both bikes, I'm willing to give up the "stability" to be able to feel like I can move around more.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I bought a pair of the 800mm wide gravity bars. They are stupid wide. They feel like a moto in the parking lot. When you first start pedaling off, they feel clumsy and lame. However, after 50ft, they feel awesome. My confidence at speed was improved. Like going from a 4x bike to a DH bike.
The real surprise, I actually felt better in the tight, tree lined turns. I'm not sure what the bio mechanical mechanism is, but something about wide bars makes you corner better. Whether it's a longer lever arm, or forcing your CG lower or what.

GTIgor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
Moscow, Russia
The real surprise, I actually felt better in the tight, tree lined turns. I'm not sure what the bio mechanical mechanism is, but something about wide bars makes you corner better. Whether it's a longer lever arm, or forcing your CG lower or what.
i suppose i deals with lower CG and more weight up front - improved stace

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I got a set of gravity carbon 28s on the nicolai and the pro tapers 27 on the jedi and I can feel the difference. I am without question going to the 30s, but then again Im 6'3" so a 30 with my reach is like a 28 to a smaller guy.

There is definently more stability and less twitching with the wider bars.....

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
I moved from 680's to 711's to 760's, I can't go back now, narrow bars feel real twitchy whenever I ride other people's bikes. The only issue is clipping trees on tighter tracks, but I've only had this happen when I come off my line and start feeling sketchy.

I definitely think that shoulder width is the main factor here, as I'm only 5' 9 but I've got fairly broad shoulders, whereas I know plenty of people who are taller and really don't get on with them.

At the end of the day you need to go and try bars of different widths and go with what feels like. Don't be swayed by the idiots telling you you're a sheep/fashion whore/etc if you find you prefer wider bars, just go with what feels good.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
I started using wide bars due to being too used to 29" bars on my bmx. I hate using any other type of bar now and even my xc/4x bike has 30" bars on them (they may get cut to 28"). I like how much more leverage I have on my bike. I also think it helps me to control where i am on the bike more.

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
That is really interesting! Does anyone else notice this? As long as i cant ride true DH often - arm pump is a real problem for me.:disgust1: I suppose this effect is more significant for guys with wide shoulders - is it true?
I am not that big of a guy. but I don't ever really get arm up any more with the wider bars. earlier this year when i first started riding DH my triceps would get a little sore after a full day of riding. this doesn't happen anymore so i think it was from getting us to DH riding again.

I am running the Sunline 29.5" with 1/2 Bar extensions on each side. I really like it a lot and i have not had any problem with them, I have not clipped and trees or anything. and it is so much easier to hold your line in a rock garden or say on a course like angle fire. I just see it as a mechanical advantage.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How are really steep sections with wider bars?
I would think you wouldnt be able to lean as far back and get behind the seat.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
How are really steep sections with wider bars?
I would think you wouldnt be able to lean as far back and get behind the seat.
Yeah, I thought about that too but it hasn't affected me yet. Maybe back several years ago when dh geometry wasn't as slacked out as it is now it may have been more crucial.

I always felt like standard width bars were just too narrow for me. The wider bars instantly felt more comfortable and natural.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
“Wider” bars exist for a reason. They will likely feel bad if you are on a freeride bike with a steep headtube angle (making your center of gravity too close to the front axle), ride exceedingly slow, or are riding something grossly out of proportion for your body (i.e. little kids on uncut gravity bars)

Bio-mechanically, you are much stronger at the wider width most of these bars offer. Combined with the added leverage, they are far more stable through choppy sections and are just generally more appropriate for dh racing. Try doing pushups in a narrow hand stance vs. a wide hand stance.. I personally wouldn’t even consider 29-30’’ particularly wide even for a below average height human (on a dh or slalom race bike). Its not even an issue of fast vs. slow courses…on most modern race bikes with slacker headtube angles (sub 65), you need the extra leverage to keep the front from wandering or flopping, especially in slower sections. Not to mention, wider bars give you a more squared off and aggressive stance, with your chest a little lower and your weight over the front tire, where it should be for traction in corners. As for steep sections, yeah, they do make your center of gravity lower but you should have no issue getting off the back, as in most circumstances (barring the steepest of steep rollers) its probably a bad idea to have your elbows locked straight and ass way behind the seat anyway.

just watch earthed 1 and see how sketchy everyone looks on older narrow bars, especially pronounced on the bigger guys....elbows all tucked in and bars wobbling about

Last edited:

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
I have just recently bought a pair of 29.5 Sunline's but I have yet to bolt them on. I'm curious as to how they will feel on my Devinci. I'm 6' with average shoulders, so I wonder if I will have to cut them. Regardless, I'll reply back when I've had some time riding them.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Wider bars are not just better for fast DH, they also add TONS of slow speed balance for riding skinnies.

A rule of thumb is to decrease stem length 10mm for ever extra inch of handle bar length added. This keeps your body in the same relative position due to the bars pulling you forward and the shorter stem compensating.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i'm 5'9".

started running low-rise sunline 29" bars on my V10, after running 27" deiti hi-rise bars.

huge improvement, as far as stability and confidence, especially in the fast, loose, steep, and rough stuff. slow speed balance is improved, as well. all that is a matter of physics, not fad or fashion. granted, it could be a fad, but there is logical physics going on.

i switched bikes, with a friend for a couple runs at whistler. his bars felt tall and narrow, to me. but the funny thing is, we both had the same "uuugghhh" reaction when we got on each other's bikes. it's amazing how the body get's used to what you have, and compensates things. we were both glad to get back to our own bikes.

i eventually purchased some mid-rise 29" sunline bars for my IH 6point...upgrading, again, from deiti hi-rise bars...i am a satisfied customer.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
700 is wide enougth for me and it's perfect for my riding,don't realy need wider bars imo.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Running Diety 30s on my DH bike right now. Switched from 28" last season and I'm happy with it. Gives a bit more stability and control, especially in fast and rough sections. Tooling around in the parking lot (flat ground, slow speed, etc) they feel crappy or at least wierd. You gotta get moving at DH speeds for them to feel natural. Sometimes they do feel a bit awkward at lower speeds. Combined with a really slack HA, the front can feel a bit floppy and vague on flatter and slower parts. That's why I don't want wider bars on my other bikes (Prophet and XC hardtail). I run 28s on the prophet and I think about 24 or 25 on the hardtail. For all around use, climbing and everything else, 28" is about as wide as I would go. For DH, the extra width can help.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
Running Diety 30s on my DH bike right now. Switched from 28" last season and I'm happy with it. Gives a bit more stability and control, especially in fast and rough sections. Tooling around in the parking lot (flat ground, slow speed, etc) they feel crappy or at least wierd. You gotta get moving at DH speeds for them to feel natural. Sometimes they do feel a bit awkward at lower speeds. Combined with a really slack HA, the front can feel a bit floppy and vague on flatter and slower parts. For DH, the extra width can help.
Spot on, but i have low rise V1s.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
A rule of thumb is to decrease stem length 10mm for ever extra inch of handle bar length added. This keeps your body in the same relative position due to the bars pulling you forward and the shorter stem compensating.
So if I'm switching from a 25" wide bar with 50mm stem setup to one of those new fandangled 30" ricola horns, what stem would you suggest?

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
combo for sure. if you're comfortable 'turning' your wheel through a turn then higher leverage means greater control which means greater accuracy, imo. wider bars effectively lower your bar height, too, which helps negate the 'slugishness' of the turn.

I'm running 29.5 on the DH and 28's on trail and DJ bikes and i'm 5'6" ish and want to go wider on the trail bike. I do have pretty wide shoulders for my height though.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
I went from my stock 25.5s to 29.5s which were awesome but heavy so I sold them and went back to my stock 25.5s. What a change. I need to get me some 745mm Sunlines. I am tall, wide bars feel sooo much better.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I am only like 5 9 and i run 30s. I would never run anything smaller. Noticeably more comfortable. They dont even seem wide any more, i think i COULD comfortably run 32s, but thatd be a bit much.

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
For me bars that are too wide make it harder to whip the bike through super tight turns (and I mean SUPER tight). The trails that I usually ride a techy and tight, so super wide bars probably wouldn't be a good thing. Mine are 28's.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have sunlines that are 29.5 wide. They are nice. It's just hard to get back far enough when i'm going down steep stuff. I like them wide. But i'm actually thinking of moving my grips in about an inch on each side to see if i'd like 28.5 instead. Might be a happy medium for me. I'd rather try that instead of cutting them and deciding that i liked them wider.

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
I have sunlines that are 29.5 wide. They are nice. It's just hard to get back far enough when i'm going down steep stuff. I like them wide. But i'm actually thinking of moving my grips in about an inch on each side to see if i'd like 28.5 instead. Might be a happy medium for me. I'd rather try that instead of cutting them and deciding that i liked them wider.
Do you mean cutting them 1/2 an inch on both sides? Cutting an inch of each would create 27.5 bars. Just saying because that would suck if you cut them too much.

motostu93

Chimp
Sep 16, 2007
santa barbara, CA
i have sunline v.1 in the wider size not sure i think its 745mm. i got them cuz i get sunline for cheap and mostly because im 6'5" and need with bars. i have huge sholders, there wide also. the bars fit me, i really dodnt like seeing little 13 year old kids with my bars it just looks stupid

the desmondo

Monkey
Mar 7, 2007
Do you have somewhat shorter arms? How tall are you roughly? I'm asking this because I'm curious about the relation between height, arm length, and one's ability to get back on the back in steep stuff. I'm 6 ft, so are you taller than that, and still have problems getting far enough back on the bike?