Quantcast

Bar width

Jul 29, 2009
the components on my bike (small mob/831) come from my allmountain bike (saint cranks, d2 stem and monkeylite dh bars)
i dont actually know how appropriate they are for dirt jumping
the monkeylite dh bars in particular
they are carbon and 711 mm / 28 inches wide
i have moved my grips 2 cm / 0.8 inches inwards and this feels better
but i reinventing the wheel here
what is the wisdom on bar width for 26 inch dirt bikes?
if you are going to say that depends on your preference, what are your preferences?
from the videos i have seen, bmx bars are a lot narrower than 711 mm / 28 inches, but for all i know that may be a different riding style
thanks
rasmus

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I wouldnt want my bars any more narrow than 28. Most people on bmx these days are running wider bars of at least 28. I would get rid of the carbon bars asap cause those are scary.. Higher rise of 2.5"+ can also help you ride in less of a hunched position and get the front end off the ground easier. Keep in mind there are many choices these days so it can be hard to find out what works best for you, it may take a while.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't think there are too many people riding bars under 28 anymore, as stated above.

I like my bars to be about shoulder width, whatever that is..

I am currently running 28 on my bmx and they feel good. I think my 26 is just under 28 inches and if I had cash, I'd buy some 28 inch bars for that bike as well.

Jul 29, 2009
i may regret saying this, but my shoulder width is 18 inches
that is quite a lot less than 28
are you guys 28 inches across the shoulders??

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Narrow bars will not give you enough leverage in and ohsh1t landing and the front wheel can fold under. Having said that, my brother rides goddam fixie bars on his P2 and likes em.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Hmmm. I never really measured my shoulders... I ride 28 inch wide bars. :) that's all I know.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea I have pretty buff shoulders spaning 27-28inches so....

K, I have 18" shoulders too at 5'-6", I have 32" wide 3" rise bars and loved em.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
the narrow bar thing in bmx is if you like doing the bar tricks too wide a bar will be slower to get around and hooking your bar on your pants in a lookback isnt fun. people used to cut their bars super narrow for this reason. then bend the **** out of their tech 77 and run it past the bend in the bar ;)

Last edited:

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
ive never paid attention to my width always just took uncut bars threw my hands on where i felt comfortable and made sure i cut the same amount from each end just measured theyre 26in and i have a 20in chest at 6'6

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
28" is fine, move your grips in/out and experiment before you cut, you dont sound like u want wider, so the hardest part is now over.