Quantcast

Bare Bones Upgrade

gtastro

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
in the 253
I recently did this to a PC I have and had to reinstall an OS, but what I would really like to do is just reinsert the hard drive and turn it on.
I'm going to do this to another PC and I'm wondering the correct way to do this? As in just to plug in the old components into the new chassis.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm not sure I quite understand.

You bought a new motherboard and CPU, right? And maybe a case? And now you want to plug all of your old stuff into the board?

Well, you need to make sure your RAM is compatible, you need to make sure your video card is compatible, and if those two are all set, then you should be able to just plug everything else (any other cards, your hard drives and our optical drives) into the PC and fire it up.

Windows will probably go apesh*t and the best way to do it is to format your drive and reinstall Windows, but if you don't want to do that, you'll probably be able to get by on what you have.

gtastro

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
in the 253
Yes everything will be compatible. The problem I had was the os didnt reconize the new mother board and gave me the blue screen of death. On the first one I ene
ded up formating the drive and relaoding the os. What I didnt want to do was reload every program I was still using.

So what Im wondering was If there is a way to laod the new drivers on the existing system for the new mother board before I change over. Or if Im doomed to days of reloading software, games, ect,.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Unfortunately, you're probably doomed. You can attempt to load a fresh copy of Windows over the top of the old copy, with no format, but there's a good chance you'll end up with a very unstable OS.

When you do a major overhaul of the hardware like that, Windows is going to throw a hissy fit until you format and re-install.

If you're really desperate to not re-load your programs, you can attempt to boot into Safe Mode and install your motherboard drivers like that. Again, though, this could easily result in a very unstable OS even if it works.

gtastro

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
in the 253
On the first one I did. I tried safe mode and also cammand promp. But to no avail. So Im realizing starting fresh is the way to go.
Now my question is I have a 2000 pro disc and then a xp pro upgrade disc. How is Microsoft going to like me re-athorizing the same code on a new machiine.{Bill is eviiiiilllll}

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If they're both legit copies, go for it. Worst case, it'll deny you and you can call Microsoft tech support and bitch them out, they'll issue you a new key.

If they're not legit copies, then do some searches and find the crack :)