Quantcast

Barels secret weapon...

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Zutroy said:
Here is a link for the company that makes them. There is one other company doing something similar, but i can't remember the name.

http://www.osymetric.com/index.php

Are you thinking of Rotor Q Rings

Copied from their site:
Rotor Q-Rings help to minimize the time spent in the dead spot while pedaling. While oval chainrings have historically been controversial, we believe that allowing a rider to fine tune the chainring position offers opportunities to minimize the dead spot never before realized with conventional chainrings. Initial in-house testing shows significant improvements in efficiency. Formal testing at a European university is underway. These chainrings were used by David Canada in the 2005 Tour de France.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Boby Julich attributes at least part of his career revival to those rings, and Barel is the world champ. I won't be getting one anytime soon, but still, whether it's a real advantage or just a placebo effectI, if Barel used an egg ring to get the win, it's pretty hard to argue with the results. Sure, those guys would probably do fine on regular rings too but you never know.

And like Zed pointed out, biopace had a different orientation and in fact was pretty much ass-backwards. The second or third mtb I ever had came with biopace and I remember throwing them away pretty quick.

Jan 12, 2005
Lancashire (U.K)
Another gimmick dreamt up by some half wit marketing manager.
I'l stick to round rings thanks. The people who win with these things could have won by using a dustbin lid as a chainring.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
MMike said:
How is it different than Biopace rings from the late 80's?

My bro still has them on him waaaaaay old Trek (1988?). They are weird.

It's pretty much the opposite idea from biopace. Shimanos ideas was to increase the power output from the "dead spots" in the pedaling cycling. The osymetric ones optimize the shape to that you are increasing it at the point of highest power output in the pedaling cycle.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If you race, you NEED to buy or make this product NOW. If you do not, you will LOSE your next race.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Jm_ said:
If you race, you NEED to buy or make this product NOW. If you do not, you will LOSE your next race.
Assuming my saracasm detector is functioning correctly, would this make a huge difference in a DH run? Well there are plenty of factors involved with a winning run, so this might be 1% or 10%.

This reminds me of Greg Lemond's use of aero bars in the 1989 TdF. No one else used them, and I am sure other riders laughed. However, as Lemond proved, aero position is 90% of time trialing, and I believe he won every time trial that year, by a wide margin.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
sanjuro said:
Assuming my saracasm detector is functioning correctly, would this make a huge difference in a DH run? Well there are plenty of factors involved with a winning run, so this might be 1% or 10%.

This reminds me of Greg Lemond's use of aero bars in the 1989 TdF. No one else used them, and I am sure other riders laughed. However, as Lemond proved, aero position is 90% of time trialing, and I believe he won every time trial that year, by a wide margin.

lemond used not only aero bars but helmet and wheels to win recoup 58 seconds on the last stage of the tdf and beat fignon by 8 seconds in a 1 month race, but i think this is a different case. he was not the only one back then either, just remember superman obree.
in 1989 aero was new, as in just invented, both because of the previous non availability of materials and analysis facilities to design aero. elliptical chainrings like these have been around since approximately 100 years (not exaggerating) and the pros and cons have been know for just as long. granted the osymetric rings or these rotor q rings are new but what they bring to the table over conventional ellpitical rings is not useful for a dh application.
maybe they work out for barel and his particular bike and riding style, but i dont see it taking over like aero did.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Transcend said:
If you look, you will see he does indeed have a taco on that guide. It would be damn hard to hit a chainring and do that much damage with one of those on there. You'd have to miss the taco, and still get the ring 1cm away...
hehe ;) :blah:

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
vitox said:
lemond used not only aero bars but helmet and wheels to win recoup 58 seconds on the last stage of the tdf and beat fignon by 8 seconds in a 1 month race, but i think this is a different case. he was not the only one back then either, just remember superman obree.
in 1989 aero was new, as in just invented, both because of the previous non availability of materials and analysis facilities to design aero. elliptical chainrings like these have been around since approximately 100 years (not exaggerating) and the pros and cons have been know for just as long. granted the osymetric rings or these rotor q rings are new but what they bring to the table over conventional ellpitical rings is not useful for a dh application.
maybe they work out for barel and his particular bike and riding style, but i dont see it taking over like aero did.

Actually aero bars had been floating around in Triathlon for several years before they showed up in straight cycling, i had aero bars on my bike in 89, and even then the idea was taken from ski racing. Is it something that's going to take over no....could it possible help at the WC level...you bet....there have been some races won by really small margins, so even if it only gives you a 1% power difference that could be enough to put you over the top. Time will tell, a couple years ago..compact drivetrains for road were considered silly, now it's fairly common.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
scurban said:
correct me if I'm wrong, but does it look like he colored the scratches in his ring in with a sharpie? It does to me.

I think they colored the ring with something, you can see it's a different color by the bolts, more of a silver color, which is what color the osymetric rings I've seen have been. My guess is they are trying to keep it from sticking out, and giving away they are trying it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Bio-pace chain rings (on my old Diamond back Ascent in the late 80's) was kind of weird. Your legs get used to it and you can create a smooth pedal stroke.

The funny thing is riding a round ring after adjusting to the biopacing rings.

You can't help but bounce in the saddle with every stroke. lol Funniest thing ever.

Same goes with my old GT RTS with bad "bio-pacing" (chain activated lock out/removing sag) after your legs adjust to get on a HT with round rings you start to bouce in the seat....until you adjust.

I rode my old DB Ascent for 2 years during college all over Eastern WA and when I would jump on a buddies std ring bike it was always an amusing time.

Ah the memories,.........Biopace. I will never go back, but I am not ashamed I went there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Zutroy said:
Actually aero bars had been floating around in Triathlon for several years before they showed up in straight cycling, i had aero bars on my bike in 89, and even then the idea was taken from ski racing. Is it something that's going to take over no....could it possible help at the WC level...you bet....there have been some races won by really small margins, so even if it only gives you a 1% power difference that could be enough to put you over the top. Time will tell, a couple years ago..compact drivetrains for road were considered silly, now it's fairly common.
The Scott bars were not unheard of. There were a lot of triathletes using them. But it had not received acceptance into the peleton until Lemond.

I don't think an ovalized ring will factor much. There are too many other factors to DH. But if Barel wins by .01 seconds on a pedaling course...