Quantcast

***** Barry Bonds: Finally *****

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
He is screwed. The Feds have something like a 92% conviction rate, and I doubt they'd want to risk losing such a high profile case like this. I'm guessing they feel that have a slam dunk case.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I noticed he changed his story from "I haven't knowingly..." to "I have never...".

I think he is trying to will himself clean.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
But he will probably plea bargain something decent. One reason the feds have a 92% conviction rate is because they let everyone plead their felonies down to minor traffic infractions.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I love how the courts have nothing better to do than go after bonehead baseball players for taking steroids. Go America.
It's actually quite simple. The Fed is establishing a precedent for future athletes who are caught up in roids and PEDs. Giambi and Sheff got good legal advice and owned up to their mistakes. Barry, for a myraid of reasons, chose not to be candid and he will be made an example of. The precedent the Fed would like to make: you lie to us, we will fvck you.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It's actually quite simple. The Fed is establishing a precedent for future athletes who are caught up in roids and PEDs. Giambi and Sheff got good legal advice and owned up to their mistakes. Barry, for a myraid of reasons, chose not to be candid and he will be made an example of. The precedent the Fed would like to make: you lie to us, we will fvck you.
Who cares? It's steroids. There is more than a few dramatically more important things to deal with than an overpaid baby's quest to shrink his testicles. Also, it's baseball. Nobody cares.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I'm with Transcend...like Barry is the only one on steroids...really the feds should be following up on things that actually matter...D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Who cares? It's steroids. There is more than a few dramatically more important things to deal with than an overpaid baby's quest to shrink his testicles. Also, it's baseball. Nobody cares.
You're incredibly shortsighted that I'm amazed you can see the keyboard.

It's not just about pros, but kids taking 'roids thinking it's necessary to compete.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm with Transcend...like Barry is the only one on steroids...really the feds should be following up on things that actually matter...D
Wow, again, someone who doesn't pay enough attention to know what's going on :rant:

It's not about 'roids in this case, but lying to a grand jury.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You're incredibly shortsighted that I'm amazed you can see the keyboard.

It's not just about pros, but kids taking 'roids thinking it's necessary to compete.
No it's not, it's about a government again wasting vast amounts of resources on a completely pointless event. Professional sports should all but be ignored by the government. Again, it's a case of big business and the government being in bed together.

They are never going to stop steroid use in sports. end of story. It sure as hell isn't up to the Government to try and clean up sports leagues making trillions of dollars a year in profit with marketing and exhorbinant salaries as their only expense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
yeah that's exactly what it's about....are you serious...D

He lied during an investigation not about athletes using steroids but an investigation into Balco which was doing a bunch of illegal drug manufacturing. A very big deal. Bonds may have been called into the Grand jury because of his celebrity status in the first place but after that it was all on him. Lying to the feds will always get you into hot water.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But why were the feds involved in the first place?

BALCO was designing steroids that were not detectable by drug tests. First their is some marginal legal issues with giving steroids to athletes in the first place but there is also the issue of creating drugs and not going through the FDA approval process. This would be like a company selling a new blood pressure drug with no approval through the normal government channels.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
No it's not, it's about a government again wasting vast amounts of resources on a completely pointless event. Professional sports should all but be ignored by the government. Again, it's a case of big business and the government being in bed together.

They are never going to stop steroid use in sports. end of story. It sure as hell isn't up to the Government to try and clean up sports leagues making trillions of dollars a year in profit with marketing and exhorbinant salaries as their only expense.
Should the US Government also give up on trying to stop (or at least minimize) the illegal drug trade in the US? They will never succeed, it's a battle they can't win, but that certainly doesn't mean that they should give up.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Should the US Government also give up on trying to stop (or at least minimize) the illegal drug trade in the US? They will never succeed, it's a battle they can't win, but that certainly doesn't mean that they should give up.
Steroids, as such, aren't illegal. They are only illegal to possess with a prescription.

Seriously, waste of government time and resources. It's professional sports. I'm pretty sure the US has more important things to deal with at the present time.

Illegal wiretaps, racial profiling, no health care, horrible public education, illegal invasions of sovereign nations, the south running out of water and half of the west coast on fire.

The legal status of anabolic steroids varies from country to country: some have stricter controls on their use or prescription than others. In the U.S., anabolic steroids are currently listed as Schedule III controlled substances under the Controlled Substances Act, which makes the possession of such substances without a prescription a federal crime punishable by up to seven years in prison.[105] In Canada, anabolic steroids and their derivatives are part of the Controlled drugs and substances act and are Schedule IV substances, meaning that it is illegal to obtain or sell them without a prescription; however, possession is not punishable, a consequence reserved for schedule I, II or III substances. Those guilty of buying or selling anabolic steroids in Canada can be imprisoned for up to 18 months

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I love how the courts have nothing better to do than go after bonehead baseball players for taking steroids. Go America.
minor point but he isn't in trouble for using steroids but lying to a grand jury investigating balco about his use of steroids. If he had told the truth he would have lost his career, but would be Scott free of legal entanglements.

Lying to a grand jury serious and he's facing thirty years behind bars. Even with a plea bargin I don't see him getting less than five.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Yes. Legalize the whole deal. Everything. Crack, heroin, meth. The same tweakers and junkies who get it now will still be able to get it. The only difference is that the massive costs associated with the "War on Drugs" and the constitutional liberties that have been taken because of it may be somewhat reversed.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
NPR was kind of enough to point out that this SHOULD have been the front page story, but has been drowned out by all the excitement over some bat-swinging douche with a needle (their words, not mine):

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/13/earlyshow/main3494261.shtml

There has also been an alarming increase in the percentage of people getting kicked out of the military for "personality defects" which in a person who has seen combat is most likely PTSD. Getting nailed with the personality defect apparently gets you a dishonorable discharge with no benefits.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
There has also been an alarming increase in the percentage of people getting kicked out of the military for "personality defects" which in a person who has seen combat is most likely PTSD. Getting nailed with the personality defect apparently gets you a dishonorable discharge with no benefits.

now that's something to focus on...not some ball player...D

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Yes. Legalize the whole deal. Everything. Crack, heroin, meth. The same tweakers and junkies who get it now will still be able to get it. The only difference is that the massive costs associated with the "War on Drugs" and the constitutional liberties that have been taken because of it may be somewhat reversed.
Cue CUNT (Crusty Uptight Neo-Thatcherite) mode,
"Look here young chap, drugs are bad because they're illegal and they're illegal because they're bad...now where's my whiskey...."