Quantcast

Bars Bars Bars...

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So while I only have a couple new rides on my new Eastern... I am still not convinced that I can stay with the bars I have.. I'm riding a Funn Fatboy 2" rise bar. It's cut to 28.5", and it seems like such a chore to get it into a high bunny hop. The stem is on top of the 15mm of spacers on the steerer, so it can't go any higher. And I am running an 80mm Argyle. Any recommendations on bars? should I go to a 3" rise? If so, anyone know of any 3" 31.8 bars? Thanks.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I replaced the stock bars on my night train (when i bent them) with some atomlab 3" rise. Alot easier to get the front end up, and when standing next to most other hardtails the standover is still shorter. All in all, yes get some 3" rise bars and your bike will handle really well if it's anything like mine is..

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I replaced the stock bars on my night train (when i bent them) with some atomlab 3" rise. Alot easier to get the front end up, and when standing next to most other hardtails the standover is still shorter. All in all, yes get some 3" rise bars and your bike will handle really well if it's anything like mine is..
Yea the nighttrain and the Betty have very similar geo. But you got the 25.4 bars right? I am trying to avoid getting a new stem for it... so if I can find a company who does a 3"x31.8 bar it'd be great, though I don't think I have seen anyone with one. So was kinda hoping for an industry secret that I didn't know about.. :)

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Yea the nighttrain and the Betty have very similar geo. But you got the 25.4 bars right? I am trying to avoid getting a new stem for it... so if I can find a company who does a 3"x31.8 bar it'd be great, though I don't think I have seen anyone with one. So was kinda hoping for an industry secret that I didn't know about.. :)
The night train and thunderbird are the same exact frame as the black betty actually.. Just the names of the completes. And as for a 31.8 bar most are all aluminum and wont have high rise whatsoever. I don't know about you but I prefer steel bars so if they decide to fail they will bend before they just snap on impact like aluminum. 31.8 bars have always looked kinda goofy to me anyhow, and bars on moto bikes are 22.2 or 25.4mm clamp size if I'm not mistaken, and you don't see those breaking often. My $0.02

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
The night train and thunderbird are the same exact frame as the black betty actually.. Just the names of the completes. And as for a 31.8 bar most are all aluminum and wont have high rise whatsoever. I don't know about you but I prefer steel bars so if they decide to fail they will bend before they just snap on impact like aluminum. 31.8 bars have always looked kinda goofy to me anyhow, and bars on moto bikes are 22.2 or 25.4mm clamp size if I'm not mistaken, and you don't see those breaking often. My $0.02
Negative, the Betty is different. Betty has a higher bottom bracket, and a completely different chainstay yoke. This was all in part of the convo as I was speaking with my Eastern rep when deciding on a frame.

I agree, it is looking as though 25.4 will have to be the way to go. I have always ridden 31.8 bars and because of that I've always been a bit weary of 25.4's not because of strength really. But more because of the change in general. I think I'll either go with a Weezy bar or one of the DMR's. Any choices on cheap short stems for 25.4?

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
if you want steel bars ie weezys or dmr, just get a bmx stem. unless you WANT to shim a 25.4 mtb stem...

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
yeah i would avoid bar shims.

s&m race xlt, fit DLT, fly alta, profile push, etc are all top loaders and will raise the bars a bit. i kinda prefer the looks of these so that's why i listed em :) more here top loaders

fly has a nice lil diagram of all their stems and the bar height they achieve. 23mm rise is about average for top load stems.

http://www.flybikesbmx.com/stem_info.html

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Negative, the Betty is different. Betty has a higher bottom bracket, and a completely different chainstay yoke. This was all in part of the convo as I was speaking with my Eastern rep when deciding on a frame.
Hmm.. well I had the night train complete but I cracked the frame at the seat clamp and they sent me a betty. Feels exactly the same to me. Mine is the 09 model anyhow so both of the ones I had had the same chainstay yoke, Im sure of it since Ive had both. Also apparently the black betty has a 21.8 tt and the night train has a 21.5.. This may be different now, since the new night trains have a mid bb instead of spanish and the hub driver on the same side as the disc brake.. :blink: (which sounds like a nightmare of brake contamination to me) I was pretty sure the frame was the same since they sent me a betty to replace my night train, but I guess they are slightly different. Either way, sorry to derail the thread.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Hmm.. well I had the night train complete but I cracked the frame at the seat clamp and they sent me a betty. Feels exactly the same to me. Mine is the 09 model anyhow so both of the ones I had had the same chainstay yoke, Im sure of it since Ive had both. Also apparently the black betty has a 21.8 tt and the night train has a 21.5.. This may be different now, since the new night trains have a mid bb instead of spanish and the hub driver on the same side as the disc brake.. :blink: (which sounds like a nightmare of brake contamination to me) I was pretty sure the frame was the same since they sent me a betty to replace my night train, but I guess they are slightly different. Either way, sorry to derail the thread.
No biggie, they aren't THAT different, I suppose. Yea we were talking about that hub and frame on another thread somewhere, I was up at the warehouse a few weeks ago and me and my friend were eying it up. Really weird looking set up, but strangely practical.