Quantcast

Bars tilted forward

mrmcgoose

Chimp
Mar 26, 2010
Just curoius as to why a number of pros and such have their bars tilted forward. Just wondering if theres a reason for this or if its just preference...

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
I've noticed over the past couple of seasons I tend to roll my bars farther forward each year. I never really thought about why, but I would guess it has to do with your body position/weight while riding. Most pros ride with their weight farther forward than your average rider. So I'd assume they rock the bars forward to compensate for that. In my case, I guess as I've progressed I started to ride with my weight more over the bars, so I adjusted it accordingly.

Start with what is comfortable, adjust it as needed.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Just curoius as to why a number of pros and such have their bars tilted forward. Just wondering if theres a reason for this or if its just preference...
Because it looks way sicker, bra.

Me absolutely ripping Mount Snow a new a-hole, circa '04 with my ahead-of-the-times Chicago'ed-out handlebar setup:

I think I slayed like, 10 guys in that race (21st out of 31).

Chicago Style 4 Life, yo.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
the 04 national was one of the worst national tracks that they have ever ran. it went straight down into that ****ty pit that ate a few people up.
i thought it sucked. that's a good pic though it was so muddy. i was happy to see them rock the 03 05 07 course in 05 again.the 08 nats course was dope though

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
the 04 national was one of the worst national tracks that they have ever ran. it went straight down into that ****ty pit that ate a few people up.
i thought it sucked. that's a good pic though it was so muddy. i was happy to see them rock the 03 05 07 course in 05 again.the 08 nats course was dope though
You're high, the 08 track ate balls, pedaling sections at Mount Snow? That stupid little uphill root thing in the woods that you came through at like 1 mph? BS. The 06 track on the other hand... that was the ****. G-ing out the road crossing at mach speed was horrifying.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I've been on too meny bikes with the bars way too far back.I find the mroe back they are the more "round and in" they feel and its just terrible.

I first started rolling bars forward on my trials bike and my wrist felt allot more comfortable.One day I went on my dh bike and did the same thing.

Its a matter of personal comfort just like someone mentionned about lever position.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I run mine farther forward than most, I like a lot of upsweep and rolling them forward turns some of the backsweep into upsweep. I can't stand bars without enough upsweep, call them "sad bars" because they feel like they are bending down to me. I also run my moto bars rolled forward a bit, it encourages me to stay forward on the bike, and I try to set up my dh bike to feel familiar coming from the moto.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I run mine farther forward than most, I like a lot of upsweep and rolling them forward turns some of the backsweep into upsweep. I can't stand bars without enough upsweep, call them "sad bars" because they feel like they are bending down to me. I also run my moto bars rolled forward a bit, it encourages me to stay forward on the bike, and I try to set up my dh bike to feel familiar coming from the moto.

This is perfect.Exacly wat I was trying to say.

AzToJrse

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
SOUTH JERSEY
i ran my bars slammed foward until recently and someone made a chicago style comment to me, didnt think anything of it being im from chicago. is this a well known saying, am i missing something? just thought it was kind of random.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
i ran my bars slammed foward until recently and someone made a chicago style comment to me, didnt think anything of it being im from chicago. is this a well known saying, am i missing something? just thought it was kind of random.
Fronj-jay (aka Sanjay) first clued me into the whole Chicago-style thing back when I first started doing it on my DH bike in 03-04. I mostly started doing it for comic relief at first, but then I realize how comfortable it was to have your bars sweep up like that. Your arms originate at your shoulders which are ALWAYS higher than your bars, so wouldn't it make sense to have your bars at an angle that allowed your arms/hands to reach them more natually?

Anyway, apparently Chicago-Style was a pretty common term in the BMX scene BITD when dudes were running those huge BMX bars rolled way the hell forward. I don't know the origin of it, but at some point, it became universally accepted that having your bars tilted forward was 'Chicago Style'.

CS4Life, yo.

--JP