Quantcast

Barspins

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
I need advice on pulling barspins. I can do them with one foot on my back peg and one foot on my pedal. But I can't do them with both feet on my pedals. I can't pinch my seat that way. It's too far back. (I'm talking about rolling along and pulling the front up to do a barspin)

How do you all do barspins?

Hacim

Chimp
Aug 12, 2001
Durango, CO
i don't do barspins because they remind me too much of ryan nyquist.... actually i don't do them because i can't pinch my seat either *long legs suck sometimes* do you ever wear knee pads? i know a couple of kids who have to wear them to be able to pinch the seat

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Yeah I wear knee pads but they don't fix things. By what things look like I'd need the seat 5"/6" more forward. I'll just try to get the balance down I guess.

I could see me being able to do them in the air because I could move the whole bike forward so I could pinch the seat. Sadly I can't do much of anything in the air. I have enough trouble flying through the air in any sort of a consistant way as it is.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ok, i don't do barspins anymore because my thumbs are both ****ed up from them.

but when i was at my peak with that trick i could pretty much do them out of anything both directions.

now i'll only do them when stalled(ice pick or tail tap or simallar) or rolling slowly.

first, raise your seat if it's low as the rest of the kids these days.
if you don't want to ride w/ your seat high infront of your friends, take your allen wrench and go hide in a parking gararge for a bit.
you can lower it once you learn the trick.

then ride w/ both feet level at a slow speed or even stopped if you can balance that well. but you don't want to be fighting the balance if your stopped so I sugest rolling very slowly at first.

pinch your heals, and knees and basicly everything you got together against your seat/bike/cranks.

pull back and lift your front wheel off the ground.

then spin your bars in what ever direction you want. try to catch the bars w/ your other hand.
don't worry about getting the other hand on the grip for now. just learn how to spin the bars. if you already can spin the bars then you really just need to learn to pinch your legs and hold your bike.

then you just need to PRACTICE and PRACTICE.

then you can drop your seat back down. once you learn the technique. or keep your seat where it is and practice.

jason enns runs his seat low as **** and has no problem doing barspins as well as other ripping kids.

I learned barspins before they were a trick (sometime in the 80's) we didn't even lift the front wheel of the ground that high. it was more of a gay flatland trick.

bottom line is, practice. I and others can give you all kinds of tips but it's up to you and your body to learn how to do them.

you said you could do them on the peg and pedal but you didn't say what happened when you tried them off the pedals other than the seat was too far back.
move your seat forward on the rails if that helps.

plenty of people don't pinch their seat at all (i don't know how).

practice. make a consious effort to pay attention to what your doing when you do it.

don't worry about doing little **** like raising your seat or pushing it forward or whatever. these are just baby steps to learn the trick. you can then put them back once you get the idea down.
I can not tell you how many times i've seen someone not progress because they were afraid of looking dumb or not being cool. and the next person took the small steps to learn the tequiniqe(sp?) and they excelled.

good luck. let us know what happens

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
i run my seat pretty far forward. It helps my balance. I actually know some bmx kids who ride their seatposts backwards so they can get the seat forward enough.

b

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Yeah I run the seat as high as I'm gonna. If I run it much higher it's gonna bend in one or two rides. It's already bent some.

I already slid the seat all the way forward on the rails.

I wish I had a picture. My seat is so far back I'd have to get a layback post and run it backwards to get the seat between my legs. It's only between my legs when my arms are pretty much locked out 'cause I'm leaning so far back.

I guess I'll just try using my whole legs to clamp the bike frame and see what happens.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
I'm trying to learn them too. I almost made a couple after trying.. I just pinch the seat, pull the bars up and throw them. I chucked the bike a few times until I got the hang of pinching properly, now I just have to get the spins.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
Yeah I run the seat as high as I'm gonna. If I run it much higher it's gonna bend in one or two rides. It's already bent some.

I already slid the seat all the way forward on the rails.

I wish I had a picture. My seat is so far back I'd have to get a layback post and run it backwards to get the seat between my legs. It's only between my legs when my arms are pretty much locked out 'cause I'm leaning so far back.

I guess I'll just try using my whole legs to clamp the bike frame and see what happens.
i'm just curious, how tall are you and how long is your top tube?

what frame are you riding?

the only way i can picture what is wrong is if your using a frame that is WAY too long. but I used to ride w/ a kid that was short like 5 foot 5 or maybe shorter and he did barspins no problems.
if you have to lean back, lean back. maybe in your case, lower your seat.

I only mentioned the seat height thing because so many people run the seat as low as it will go. sounds like yours is high already.

so what happens when you lean back as far as you can and spin your bars? do you fall over, fall off the back, can't catch the bars? what?

ChrisNJ

Chimp
Feb 26, 2003
jersey
i think the key is in the seat width,..i used to run a skinny seat, and couldnt pinch it,...switched to a nice fat seat, and have no problems at all. Now im just working on getting them in the air.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
mudpuppy has a haro backtrail x24 cruiser i think there is a pick of it in one of the earlier threads on bastardizing them or somethign

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
well, just practice. mess around with different stuff to see what works for you. but remember, spin the bars. that' s the only way to learn.

here's an old picture for your enjoyment. it's from around '92 I believe. that's me at gasworks. you can see the mark my peg left in the bench. kinda cool.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Yeah what Allsk8sno said.

I'm ~6'3" and I'm riding a Backtrail X24.

Here's a pictures: www.wsu.edu/~chageman (I've changed some parts but that's basically how it's set up, except the fork which was just on for the picture.:D I actually have a normal cruiser fork on there.)

My problem is if I lean back far enough to pinch the seat my knees are locked out and I'm leaning so far back that when I let go of the bars I fall over backwards.

Maybe I'll try and get some pictures of how I look on it.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
put the original forks back on.

or get a laid back seat post and turn it around backwards.

oops. after re-reading your post I see you have normal forks on it.

ok, my only other piece of advise is to try and bend your upper body forward. pinch w/ your legs but lean forward. try and get your head over your top tube.

visceral

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Originally posted by UCSBrian
i run my seat pretty far forward. It helps my balance. I actually know some bmx kids who ride their seatposts backwards so they can get the seat forward enough.

b
ya I do that on my mtb to get it forward too, cuz the seatangle is laid back