Quantcast

Base layer: merino wool or UA Heat Gear?

Sep 26, 2011
Looking for the best bang for my buck in a short sleeve base layer; merino wool or a UA Heat Gear T? The Hincapie merino wool shirt I'm looking it is $70 while a UA Heat Gear shirt is $30. Thoughts/experiences?

-EGS

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've had some patagonia expedition weight polypro from a long time ago. I don't see anything that makes me want to give this up. Going expedition weight for max warmth. It breathes very well.

This stuff has come down a lot in price though and nearly anyone/everyone can make it. I'd skip the fancy prices and stuff and just get some good polypro layers.

btw, why would you get a short-sleeve base layer? If it's really that hot, I'd just use a normal work-out shirt as my base layer.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2011
I've had some patagonia expedition weight polypro from a long time ago. I don't see anything that makes me want to give this up. Going expedition weight for max warmth. It breathes very well.

This stuff has come down a lot in price though and nearly anyone/everyone can make it. I'd skip the fancy prices and stuff and just get some good polypro layers.

btw, why would you get a short-sleeve base layer? If it's really that hot, I'd just use a normal work-out shirt as my base layer.
I prefer a short sleeve base layer 'cause of arm warmers. I can push them down or just take them off, whereas with a long sleeve base layer, I can only push them up.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I prefer wool if the conditions are going to be wet and wicking isn't an option because wool will will still keep you warm when wet. I have used short sleeve craft base later top and trunks to keep my core warm for over ten years, they are wool and cost about $40 each.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Well, I agree with the arm warmers if we are talking riding for sure. I thought this was more ski/snowboard.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Cold-Gear-Turtleneck/dp/B00029BMDI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This is my favorite cold weather article of clothing. Goes under anything and keeps me quite warm. Not sure if that's what you're after though.

I have a heat gear T for wearing under my armor in the summer time and it's great. Wicks sweat super quickly and keeps the armor from getting moist. I prefer nothing under a jersey, but I don't like the feel of armor without the shirt.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You probably want both, but it depends on temperature and what you wear over it. Wool is better for cold weather and under gear that doesn't breath - you won't get as much of that cold, clammy feeling when you sweat under under a rain jacket, for example. Heatgear is...wait for it..for warmer weather. I wear stuff like that under breathable jerseys, or by itself in hot weather (or yeah, under DH armor).

If it's cold enough for me to want a jacket or vest, I usually grab thin merino. I have a couple Swobo wool base T's that are awesome.

Last edited: