Quantcast

Baseball and the environment

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
A league of their own
Posted by Katharine Wroth at 4:00 PM on 10 May 2005
It's a single piece of news, but a revolution in its own right: starting Friday, the Oakland A's will serve drinks in compostable cornstarch cups, and provide compostable cutlery too. McAfee Coliseum staffers will dig the items out of the trash at the end of each game -- pausing only briefly to wonder if they should have taken that internship with Dad's friend's company instead -- and ship the whole beery, mustardy mess to a composting facility.
It's all part of stadium manager George Valerga's plan to reach a 75-100 percent recycling rate. And the San Francisco Giants are considering composting too. OK, OK, California did pass a law requiring special-events venues to increase their recycling. But hey, whatever it takes to make America's ballfields greener. Let's go A's!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
'bout time these organizations were held to such standards. I still can't believe how mcuh wasteful packaging this country uses for everything. Good on 'em for doing it ahead of being completely required to...

Jan 29, 2005
It is awesome to see that the impending enviormental disaster is being acknowledged by a major company or organization. Now if only our government could do the same...

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
sanjuro said:
Now if golf courses could be responsible about their land and water use....
Actually, a lot of golf courses use 100 percent reclaimed water. Can't do anything about the land use, though.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Damn True said:
The biggest negative impact of golf courses is the fertilizers they use. That and golf being televised in place of mountain bike racing.
LOL!

:blah:

Good move by the A's here. Now if they can just find a reliable closer and a couple of bats....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dropsdon'tlikem said:
It is awesome to see that the impending enviormental disaster is being acknowledged by a major company or organization. Now if only our government could do the same...
I thank allah every day for my security blanket. Keeps me from chewing my finger nails.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
DRB said:
That's out of the fire into the frying pan........ :)
In terms of attendance they would kill it in San Jose compared to Oakland. Most of the people who have spare money to spend on a ballgame live in either the south bay or the penninsula (including SF). Most of those folks avoid Oakland like the plague.

I don't know what it was like last year, but two years ago if you were to take the Red Sox and Yankees games away from the A's they would have had worse attendance than the San Jose Giants (a single A club).

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
Damn True said:
The biggest negative impact of golf courses is the fertilizers they use. That and golf being televised in place of mountain bike racing.
If you really want to incorporate Mtn Biking and baseball, you could bike down the hell known as Mt. Davis. I've been an A's fan my whole life, been to 100+ games, and still pissed at my team this season. Opening night was the very first time i've walked out on a game. ugh, I don't know what to say..even though i'm going Sunday vs. Yankees...damn this season. 6GB The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?! wtf?