Quantcast

bash ring on a stock bike???

• Enter the Ridemonkey Secret Santa 2021!

Come exchange gifts with other monkeys! From beer, to light-up bike nuts, to custom machined holiday decorations by our more talented members, there's something for everyone. To participate, make sure you submit the form by November 26th.
    Click here for details and to learn how to participate.

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
I'm just starting too, and I put a bashring on yesterday. They are VERY necessary. My regular chainrings only lasted a few rides and now are completely unusable because they're warped like a half inch and have few teeth left. Definitely get one.

Woggle Bear

Chimp
May 8, 2002
Northcentral Louisiana
Most beginner courses are designed so that a stock MTB with large ring can clear everything. I have never hit my bash ring on anything in a beginner comp. The last one I did a guy on a stock MTB did clip a rock with his but he was running a 24-34 set up on his crank. You have that tiny freewheel on there so I would not thing you would have any problems with clearence.
Have fun

WB

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
there are three things a beginner NEEDS for trials. good brakes, a small frame, and a bashring :) A 32T one is fine though if you want to run 2 chainrings.