Quantcast

basic bmx geo

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
what would be conbsidered "standard" (i know, i know, i just want something to work with) bmx geo?

TT 20.5
CS 14.25
HA 74'
SA 73'

is my guess. as well how does the seat tube affect the equation.

and if anyone wants to recomend somethin for me i', 6ft lanky and new to bmx but ride a burly hard tail. i'm look at the freeagent imperial because i can get then through the shop i work at (norco as well)
edit: i plan on rideing street and parc and maby a bit of dirt

feel free to remind me a bmx is a bmx!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm sure someone will try to argue this with me but oh well....

bmx frames today are pretty much ALL the same.

sure, some have brake mounts on the seat stays and others have them on the chain stays and some are made with thicker tubing and some have larger dropouts and some have euro bottom brackets while some have american BB's....etc.

but they are all pretty much
74 degree headtube angle
71 degree seattube angle
14 inch rear end

the rear end is adjustable obviously by the length of your chain. top tube lengths vary of course.
the most common is 20.5

the only other number that matters is the bottom bracket height. but it must not be that big of a deal as you rarely see companys put this number on their spec sheets. Keep in mind, those angles will change by the parts you run on your bike. run a small tire in the back and a large one if front and you just changed the angles of your head tube and seat tube. longer forks or shorter forks will also effect this.

as for what to ride, being tall and all, get any frame you like that has a 21 inch or longer top tube.
today kids get all worked up over parts and angles instead of just riding. remember, it's the rider that makes the bike.

oh, and bmx is just bmx......

*awaits the noobs to reply and tell me i'm wrong..
:monkey:

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
pnj, dammit.

You're right.

HTFR, the only number on which you were off was the seat tube angle. I really don't know how that effects the bike's ride because pretty much every one I've ridden has had a 71. *shrug*

Bikes are bikes. If you're just starting out get a bike with a full chromo frame and fork that fits you properly and you'll be fine.

HTFR

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Chelsea, Quebek
Originally posted by pnj

*awaits the noobs to reply and tell me i'm wrong..
:monkey:
noobs??? this is the bmx fourm, they stay in the downhill fourm!

thanks for the info, i currently own a bmx (freeagent steleto) but its a 19.5 TT and feels a little wierd!
i think the 73' SA might make the bike feel longer ie assci pic
......... __________
......... I
......... I 73'
______I

.............. __________
.............. \
................ \ 70'
___________\

ya know?