Quantcast

Basic Training Update!

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
i heve survived 7 weeks of Ft. Benning thus far. just thought i'd check in and let you all know that i am still alive. for you army monkeys/ former army monkeys, it was quite a culture shock. i hope everyone has a good haloween and turkey day and i will talk to you all on xmas. best of luck and ride hard. :thumb:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Big_Papa1080 said:
i heve survived 7 weeks of Ft. Benning thus far. just thought i'd check in and let you all know that i am still alive. for you army monkeys/ former army monkeys, it was quite a culture shock. i hope everyone has a good haloween and turkey day and i will talk to you all on xmas. best of luck and ride hard. :thumb:
Awe shut up! stop crying! and go for another 15 mile run in full gear and a ruck sack full of rocks!

:think: Or you could always do a 15 mile technical uphill and downhill XC single track ride in full gear and a ruck sack full of rocks....... :p :D

Congrats so far on the basic training. :thumb: So how much weight did you lose?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
you get to use the internet in basic :eek: :eek: :eek:!!!!!!!!

holy cow! we weren't even allowed to make phone calls and we spent 45 minutes in the "pit" --on xmas morning--doing 12-count body builders/push-ups/monkey f#ckers because one of our platoon members recieved a package of brownies from home for christmas!

my cousin went in the army and got to come home for xmas during basic! i was like...huh? you get to leave and go back? i mean c'mon...it's only 8 weeks!

i'm just busting your chops man....just a little army/marine rivalry :D good on ya for sticking w/ it!

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
manimal said:
you get to use the internet in basic :eek: :eek: :eek:!!!!!!!!

holy cow! we weren't even allowed to make phone calls and we spent 45 minutes in the "pit" --on xmas morning--doing 12-count body builders/push-ups/monkey f#ckers because one of our platoon members recieved a package of brownies from home for christmas!

my cousin went in the army and got to come home for xmas during basic! i was like...huh? you get to leave and go back? i mean c'mon...it's only 8 weeks!

i'm just busting your chops man....just a little army/marine rivalry :D good on ya for sticking w/ it!
Whats the point of punishing (sp??) a platoon for one guy receiving brownies? The brownies sorta represent what you're fighting for: family, freedom, etc.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
Fury said:
Whats the point of punishing (sp??) a platoon for one guy receiving brownies? The brownies sorta represent what you're fighting for: family, freedom, etc.

HAHAHA.

I don't know how to explain what being a recruit on Parris Island is like. You have to experience it to know what it's like.

Marine Boot Camp is not about eating brownies, thats for sure.

One recruit in my Platoon got cookies one day. He ate the entire box (a sizeable amount) while me and the squadleaders got thrashed in the pit.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Fury said:

ummm...wow...i never really thought about how to put the meaning behind it in words. all i can say is that it has to do with truly understanding TEAM and brotherhood. there are too many mind games to analyze right now. but it all serves a purpose in the end. have you ever heard of a Marine leaving someone behind?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
ok...no more marine questions...this thread is for bigpapa celebrating his experience in basic.
no matter what branch of service you go through, it's tough and i commend you for it bigpapa. how much longer do you have?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
manimal said:
you get to use the internet in basic :eek:
Sure is different than when I was at Benning. :think: Judging by your description, my Benning experience was more like your boot camp experience.

Good to hear you're doing well BP. Say "hey" to Iron Mike for me. ;)

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
manimal said:
how much longer do you have?
I'm guessing by his avatar that he's off to Airborne school following basic and advanced individual training. Infantry basic is 8 weeks (at least it was when I went through), AIT is anywhere from 6 to somewhere around 16 weeks, depending on the MOS. Jump school is another 3 weeks.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Jorvik said:
HAHAHA.

I don't know how to explain what being a recruit on Parris Island is like. You have to experience it to know what it's like.

Marine Boot Camp is not about eating brownies, thats for sure.

One recruit in my Platoon got cookies one day. He ate the entire box (a sizeable amount) while me and the squadleaders got thrashed in the pit.

Based on your post, you must have been 3rd Battalion Kilo Company, and dug A LOT of squared holes...

I believe it was 8'x8'x8'......

Right?

:p

:D