Quantcast

Basso to Discovery

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Only when they find bags of blood with your name on it.
No, this seems much more broad:

Friday in Genova, Switzerland, rider and team representatives are slated to meet to discuss the proposed DNA testing within cycling. The meeting is in response to the decision by the International Association of Professional Cycling teams (AIGCP) to ask that the riders authorize the UCI to collect their DNA samples, and, with the start of 2007, any new professionals to automatically authorize the collection of their DNA.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No, this seems much more broad:

Friday in Genova, Switzerland, rider and team representatives are slated to meet to discuss the proposed DNA testing within cycling. The meeting is in response to the decision by the International Association of Professional Cycling teams (AIGCP) to ask that the riders authorize the UCI to collect their DNA samples, and, with the start of 2007, any new professionals to automatically authorize the collection of their DNA.
I guess they are just being proactive about things instead of trying to convince riders to surrender DNA after a scandal.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Basso to Disco... Confirmed by the uniball one himself... "It's done".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/nov06/nov08news2

Lance Armstrong has confirmed the signing of Ivan Basso to Discovery Channel. "It's done," quipped the seven-time Tour de France winner in an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport. This afternoon, from Austin, Texas, the official announcement is expected that the 2006 Giro d'Italia winner will ride for the same team that helped carry the American to his Tour successes.
Now disco has the 1-2 punch like Astana. Too bad they cant both be muricans. Now Ullie just needs a team and were right back to JUly 06 until in july 07 when we will have "Puerto 2, Fuentes' Revenge".

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
If they're going to pay Basso the kind of money he's worth, they'd better spend some on building a team that can support him. The days of Lance's invincible army are long gone. Disco looked kind of feeble and directionless this season.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Disco actually did very well outside of the Grand Tours. They just lacked a true leader in that department. I think they just solved a major part of that problem.
As far as the DNA thing goes, I'm on the fence. There's the whole protecting one's privacy issue. At the same time, how else can one prove their innocence in this trial-by-media era...buy a full page ad in L'Equipe? Good luck with that.

IFO would not be shocked to see the return of international squads as opposed to trade teams in the not-too-distant future.