Quantcast

Batch Resize in PhotoShop?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
How do you folks do your batch resizing... I have heard several different explanations, but none are very specific...

I just got a DSLR, and want to shrink all the images in the folder the same way... then I can post etc... and still have the originals also...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't have photoshop on the computer I'm currently in front of, but there is a built in function for it. If you need specific step-by-step instructions, I'm not going to be much help at this point.

Look in the file menu, under batch or automate or something like that. There should be a place to setup your own process. Then use the action window/tab to record a sequence of steps. That will basically create your batch process.

Then go back under the File menu (where you were before), and select the process you just created, specify a source and desitnation directory, and let er rip.

It took me a few tries to get the sequence of steps just right, but it's not complicated.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
There is a batch tool in Photoshop, but I use IrfanView for all of my batch resizing.

http://www.irfanview.com

I know, I know, I'm like a pimp for IrfanView... it's a great program, though, and it's free :D
I'm a pimp for Irfanview too, I use it for batch re-sizing as well.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Use Photoshop. You need to record an Action (show the machine what you want it to do) and then apply it to the rest of your images.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stinkyboy said:
Use Photoshop. You need to record an Action (show the machine what you want it to do) and then apply it to the rest of your images.
so if I open one image from a set folder, I would perform the action, such as dropping the ppi from 300 to 72 (for use on the web) and save that action? then do I apply that action to the folder? the help menu for PS is kinda vague...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
binary visions said:
There is a batch tool in Photoshop, but I use IrfanView for all of my batch resizing.

http://www.irfanview.com

I know, I know, I'm like a pimp for IrfanView... it's a great program, though, and it's free :D
I will check it out on my Home Comp. here at school they don't like us dropping other programs on the machines without checking with them first... but I looked at the site and it looks like a good easy program!

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
brungeman said:
so if I open one image from a set folder, I would record the action, such as dropping the ppi from 300 to 72 (for use on the web) and save that action? then do I apply that action to the folder? the help menu for PS is kinda vague...
Yep..

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
powertools for XP, get it from the M$ site... theres a batch resizer.. find all your images in win explorer, select all , rt mouse, resize doesnt get much easier than that

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
fiddy_ryder said:
powertools for XP, get it from the M$ site... theres a batch resizer.. find all your images in win explorer, select all , rt mouse, resize doesnt get much easier than that
is it ok to use it even if I HATE MS?:mumble: :)