Quantcast

Battery technology for electric powered aircraft

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I get what they are trying to do, but it would be a lot more impressive if they were making something more like the size/configuration of a Cirrus SR22 that could cruise for say 3 hours and cover some significant distance. Also, with battery tech you could theoretically have a pretty badass motorglider that self-launches and has almost no maintenance costs I'd think. Chasing a speed goal is "meh" IMO, someone is going to hit it and it'll be a low-drag plane like in the article and impractical for anything else. I do wonder about electric or electric-hybrid airliners that may be able to do hops up to 300-400 miles, serving most of the regional market. If they could get to say 35,000' or higher, they could glide most of the way to the destination from the top of climb. It seems like it could work, vs. the energy density required to keep a bigger airliner aloft for hours to fly beyond those distances.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I do wonder about electric or electric-hybrid airliners that may be able to do hops up to 300-400 miles, serving most of the regional market.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This ev plane idea has lead to some old/new ideas about prop design to make the most of ev characteristics. Looks cool.