Quantcast

Battle of the crabonz

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
I have the CrankBrothers wheels with the I9 hubs and very happy with them. Zero issues after a season on them and they do feel great. I agree in that it is hard to have significant weight savings unless you compare strength to strength. Building an AL wheel that is as stiff is going to be DH levels of weight.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I am trying to decide if I need carbon rims, might get a set of nobl rims, but some of these other choices are tempting.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I am trying to decide if I need carbon rims, might get a set of nobl rims, but some of these other choices are tempting.
I only have a few rides on my Nobls, but like them a lot. Price with the 1/1 hubs was very good, rims look sweet though I do wonder if the wavy profile really does anything other than look cool. Wheelset was pretty damn light too, at least compared to my old one...

Side note on the 1/1 hubs, I'm really impressed with them for the price. Fairly quiet once you add more grease to the pawls, the big seal on the freehub is high quality and bodes well for surviving PNW conditions. Curious to see how the bearings hold up over time, but honestly I've never had much luck with anything lasting all that long in our climate from the hybrid ceramic bearings in the original Onyx hub...those things were ridiculously hard to kill.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Anyone use opinions or experience with Ibis 742s or S35s? They're super wide, but look like they'd go well with properly matched tyres like the Maxxis WTs.

Review at Blister from a few years ago was good, and the tester put them through DH park laps amongst other things.

I like the fact that they're asymmetric too, 5mm goes along way to evening out tension.

I'm kinda tempted to throw a set on my all round enduro/DH bike, but don't wanna invest a bunch of cash only to crack them.

First world problems and all that, but problems nonetheless..

Attachments

Last edited:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have the s35 aluminum version and I have no faults with the 35mm inner width. I agree with the asymmetric rims too. If you get them, I would go with the I9 hub option. It's not that the Ibis logos are bad, they are just low engagement basic (but seem reliable) hubs. They have a 7 year warranty on the rims.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
We had 3 sets of carbon wheels including the ENVE all broke. This was 5-6 years back. One thing to note is if the rest of your bike is stiff ie bars, fork, frame and bars getting stiff wheels may beat you up some. We had 36 spoke hoops and they made our OG Megatrail brutal on many trails.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I have the s35 aluminum version and I have no faults with the 35mm inner width. I agree with the asymmetric rims too. If you get them, I would go with the I9 hub option. It's not that the Ibis logos are bad, they are just low engagement basic (but seem reliable) hubs. They have a 7 year warranty on the rims.
Cool, thanks.

In terms of hubs I would be considering DTs in superboost. Lighter and better engagement than the stock hubs.

Actually, on that note... is it possible to convert the 15 x110 Ibis hub to a 20 x 110? A front prebuilt wheel might be cheaper, even after shipping over here (Australia), but I can't do 15mm if it's not convertible.

Also, @Carraig042, what bike do you ride them on? In your experience do they hold up to 'enduro' abuse with some occasional DH thrown in? I'm not a straight line rock plower, more of a hopper and smooth line seeker (if that's a thing..?), but I don't want to pay for an occasional mistake.

Edited for more info/questions.

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
We had 3 sets of carbon wheels including the ENVE all broke. This was 5-6 years back. One thing to note is if the rest of your bike is stiff ie bars, fork, frame and bars getting stiff wheels may beat you up some. We had 36 spoke hoops and they made our OG Megatrail brutal on many trails.
I'm not too concerned about carbon rims. As I posted a while ago, I've got them on the DH bike and a hardtail, no worries in either case.

In fact, I would argue that the commonly espoused theory of 'slightly damping/muting' trail chatter applies here. Although, that could also be my post hoc rationalisation kicking in ... :)

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Cool, thanks.

In terms of hubs I would be considering DTs in superboost. Lighter and better engagement than the stock hubs.

Actually, on that note... is it possible to convert the 15 x110 Ibis hub to a 20 x 110? A front prebuilt wheel might be cheaper, even after shipping over here (Australia), but I can't do 15mm if it's not convertible.

Even better! I do not see the option for 20mm end caps Here. May not hurt to email them just to be sure though.