Quantcast

Bay Area Mechanics?

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
I have been out of riding for a while and all of the mechanics that I knew have since either moved away or have "retired" from their shops. Does anyone have any recomendations for a good shop for truing/building wheels?
Thanks for the help
JP

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
you weigh 130# sopping wet. I've had wheels last me a season and I weigh 210+ and have been known to destroy three wheelsets in a weekend. My builder is Mark V. at Hank and Frank's in Oakland. My new builder is James at Zoom in San Francisco. It's a road shop, but the wrench is impecible.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
you weigh 130# sopping wet. I've had wheels last me a season and I weigh 210+ and have been known to destroy three wheelsets in a weekend. My builder is Mark V. at Hank and Frank's in Oakland. My new builder is James at Zoom in San Francisco. It's a road shop, but the wrench is impecible.
I have also taken out wheels in 1 ride, I bent a frame, I have seperated beeds from side wals, and taken beads off of rims.

Mark is a good guy, I have never seen his wheels, but I do know him and from what I hear he is a real good wrench

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Hahaha. The shop owner of PHC also built 2 wheelsets for a roadie who weighs 275 (also 6'6"). That guy keeps coming back as well.

BTW, guess who Mark V. learned how to build wheels from? Yep, he worked at PH Cyclery as well.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Hahaha. The shop owner of PHC also built 2 wheelsets for a roadie who weighs 275 (also 6'6"). That guy keeps coming back as well.

BTW, guess who Mark V. learned how to build wheels from? Yep, he worked at PH Cyclery as well.
That guy has also come in with cracked rim eyelits

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The cracked eyelet rims that MV has are probably my old rims...

If ya want quality service. go to George Pinney (thepinksters dad). He is workin out of his mothers garage just on the Walnut Creek Alamo boarder. He is an amazing mechanice that will get the job done no matter how difficult or imposible it seems. He builds really stong wheels, and is an excellent truer, He's built most of my wheels.

He is the closest thing you can get to having your own private mechanic.

If ya want to go to him PM me and i;ll send ya his number

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
If ya want quality service. go to George Pinney (thepinksters dad). He is workin out of his mothers garage just on the Walnut Creek Alamo boarder. He is an amazing mechanice that will get the job done no matter how difficult or imposible it seems. He builds really stong wheels, and is an excellent truer, He's built most of my wheels.

He is the closest thing you can get to having your own private mechanic.

If ya want to go to him PM me and i;ll send ya his number
tis true..

i didnt want to say "go to my daddy!" to sound like a biased source.

but he is excellent, and if it is impossible, he'll make it possible. he has taught me to true wheels too, and while i'm no pro mechanic, i have been able to fix a kid's wheel on rides when no one else knew how to use a spoke wrench.

he's kept bikes in our garage in working order for decades. he'll take care of you and your priceless babies (bikes).

he's great and will order whatever you want. if you want some extra spiffy wheels, he can get em to ya.

Jeff P.

Monkey
Nov 13, 2006
East Bay, Ca
Wow, thanks for the help. As for now i have straightened the wheels on my own, the wobbling wheel won out over my lazyness. But i will keep this thread in mind the next time i need a wrench.
JP

rider4life

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
jose at danville bike, in Danville. had some down hill whells built there and lasted for atleats whole season beofore retruing