Quantcast

Bay Area Monkies, great resturaunt

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Last week my GF and I went out to celebrate my new job and she took me to Manresa in Los Gatos.

I have had the opportunity to eat in some of the finest dinning establishments in the world in NY, Tokyo etc and this is right on par with all of them.

It was just voted one of the 50 best resturaunts in the world by London's Resturaunt Magazine.

If you have the chance, and can spare the coin (it aint cheap, count on no less than $130 per person) by all means, go.

http://www.manresarestaurant.com/

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Let's see, $130 per person in Bay Area dollars...that's like $15 each in East Coast dollars, right up there with Hard Rock Cafe. :p

My sister raved about that place after an anniversary dinner there.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
BikeGeek said:
Let's see, $130 per person in Bay Area dollars...that's like $15 each in East Coast dollars, right up there with Hard Rock Cafe. :p

My sister raved about that place after an anniversary dinner there.
$130 if you either bring your own wine or don't drink. Tap into their cellars and the price goes waaaaay up from there.
I hafta say though, the wine pairings they offered were unbelieveable! We went whole hog in the place and it was awesome!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I always go with the chef's wine recommendations when I'm at a place like that. As long as you're spending that much, you might as well get the full experience right?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My wife works here:

http://www.cyrusrestaurant.com/

Only open for a couple months now, and they are booked WAY in advance, like a 3 month wait. They commonly have couples spend $1500 or more on dinner.

:help: :confused:

We haven't even eaten there yet.
:blah:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Brian HCM#1 said:
I'll have to try that one, see how it compares the The French Laundry.
Critics are saying it will give them a run for their money. They're shooting for being the best place in the country. Seriously.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Dated a chick that worked here...

twincities.citysearch.com/profile/5579569/minneapolis_mn/little_tijuana_restaurant

.she wouldnt ride...didnt last.....

Expect to drop at least 6 bucks per person..... A little more if you utilize their vast pop selection.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
BikeGeek said:
No, not in my experience. I live in SF and just came back from a long weekend in NYC where eating well was very much on the agenda. I was expecting to pay way more than I'm used to paying, but I was pleasantly surprised - after each meal the bill was lower than expected, and the quality was better. We didn't hit enough places to make sweeping generalizations but I think Bay Area restaurants are slipping. If my NYC experience is any indication, we are paying more for less.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
brian, if you go, i'd recommend this wine:

Antinori "Guado Al Tasso", Bolgheri 2000 160

:drool:
Or this:

"Pomerol
Château Petrus 1990 2000"

:think:

HOLY FACK!!
:eek:

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
OGRipper said:
No, not in my experience. I live in SF and just came back from a long weekend in NYC where eating well was very much on the agenda. I was expecting to pay way more than I'm used to paying, but I was pleasantly surprised - after each meal the bill was lower than expected, and the quality was better. We didn't hit enough places to make sweeping generalizations but I think Bay Area restaurants are slipping. If my NYC experience is any indication, we are paying more for less.
So where did you eat in NYC?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
H8R said:
Or this:

"Pomerol
Château Petrus 1990 2000"

:think:

HOLY FACK!!
:eek:
the petrus is something like enjoying an evening w/ a bevy of beautiful teenage thai women...you can imagine it's a decadent, utterly enjoyable experience, but there's no way you can justify the expense.

the tasso i've had, and it's excellent.

the most expensive regular-sized bottle of wine i've seen on a menu was a red burgundy (Domaine de la Romanée-Conti); some restaurant outside philly had it on their list for a cool 4000. :eek:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
the most expensive regular-sized bottle of wine i've seen on a menu was a red burgundy (Domaine de la Romanée-Conti); some restaurant outside philly had it on their list for a cool 4000. :eek:
I am happy to say I have never developed a taste for alcoholic beverages.

That is nuts. Even if I had money I would laugh at that.