Quantcast

BB problems

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Well, first, you've gotta twist it in the opposite direction that you turned it to get it on. Be very firm and slow when you take it out, don't twist from side to side or anything.

If it turns out your BB threads are hosed, you can try finding a good bike shop with a thread chaser. If you haven't destroyed too much metal, the thread chaser should clean out any slight damage you might have done.

If you've done a lot of damage... Well, I'm sorry :dead:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Firstly, you should always screw in the BB as much as possible by hand. It is much harder to misthread when you do it manually.

Your threads might be hosed. There is no trick (I have seen other mechanics cut a bb cup to remove it), just try to find a bigger wrench, then take it to the best shop you can find

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
You probably have a piece of grit wedged in the threads.

I did that once with a steel frame and forced the cup out with a BB tool. About 1/4" of threads came off the cup and I had to get the BB shell chased out. I don't know what's going to happen if it's an aluminium BB shell. Good luck!

Mike

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Get a buddy, and buy a 2-foot length of pipe to use as a "cheater" bar. Slide the pipe over your socket wrench and have your buddy hold onto the frame and the bottom bracket cup so they don't twist. Force that baby out of there - you aren't going to be able to do anything until you do that.

If you have access to a bench vice, you can clamp the BB cup in the vice, and twist the frame to remove the cup.