Quantcast

Bbright to bb386 paging jonkranked

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
had to google, i don't follow this road stuff, so bbright is a 30mm spindle for a shell thats 11mm wider than standard? 79mm instead of 68?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can you install a bbright crank into a frame with bb386?
My SRAM Red crank is the BB386 version I think and my Cervelo is BBRight bottom bracket.

I think BB386 cranks have a slightly longer spindle than older BB30 standard, for my bike based on the SRAM instructions I had to use a spindle spacer on the drive-side.

As you're trying to do the opposite, what parts are you trying to use? I'm not sure how a BBright crankset compares to a BB30 or BB386 version.

edit2:
Seems to imply BBRight crankset won't work with BB386 EVO frame.
Crank compatibility is another BB386 EVO strongpoint. Despite the bulbous dimensions, the shell will accept most modern crankset fitments save for dedicated BB30/PF30 and BBRight designs.
edit:
http://www.bbright.net/faq.aspx
Q.What is the difference between BBright™ and BB30™?
A.For the crank, BBright™ uses the same diameter axle as BB30™, with the addition of 11mm length on the left side of the spindle, and the left crank is straighter, (similar to existing arms for external bearing cranks). For the frame, the bottom bracket shell is 11mm wider on the left side. BBright™ leaves the pedal stance width unchanged, but provides the frame designer with 11mm more room to increase frame tube widths and thus structural efficiency. BBright™ does not increase width on the right side because that space is used for the chain rings; extending the bottom bracket shell on the right provides no structural benefit to either frame or crank.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So the frame is a 3T Strada, which is BB386EVO

The cranks I am looking at are FSA SLK BBright: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-K-Force-Light-Carbon-130-BCD-crankset-53-39T-172-5mm-crank-arms-BBRight-NEW/184041324362?hash=item2ad9b7bf4a:g:W7MAAOSwnd5cuKwc

At least one ad mentions that it's compatible with BB386evo, though that's an ad and they just want their dead stock cranks gone.

Based on what I can find, indeed this is BB30+11mm, narrower than true BB386, but there isn't clarity on the length of the spindle for BB386. I am under the impression that shimano cranks will fit BB386 with adapters, as the standard was designed around a standard external-BB-on-BSA width, just with press-in bearings. FSA even says that BB30 cranks may fit, but that they cannot guarantee, so that just makes matter more confusing.

I suppose I should just consider re-using my shimano cranks on this bike, or getting some cheap ROTORs, but apparently the SLKs are decent cranks, and I think I'm enjoying the puzzle more than the reality of trying to get it to work.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So the frame is a 3T Strada, which is BB386EVO

The cranks I am looking at are FSA SLK BBright: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FSA-K-Force-Light-Carbon-130-BCD-crankset-53-39T-172-5mm-crank-arms-BBRight-NEW/184041324362?hash=item2ad9b7bf4a:g:W7MAAOSwnd5cuKwc

At least one ad mentions that it's compatible with BB386evo, though that's an ad and they just want their dead stock cranks gone.

Based on what I can find, indeed this is BB30+11mm, narrower than true BB386, but there isn't clarity on the length of the spindle for BB386. I am under the impression that shimano cranks will fit BB386 with adapters, as the standard was designed around a standard external-BB-on-BSA width, just with press-in bearings. FSA even says that BB30 cranks may fit, but that they cannot guarantee, so that just makes matter more confusing.

I suppose I should just consider re-using my shimano cranks on this bike, or getting some cheap ROTORs, but apparently the SLKs are decent cranks, and I think I'm enjoying the puzzle more than the reality of trying to get it to work.
are you just looking at that particular item as its a good deal? as those cranks *are* available in the appropriate spindle length for the frame/bb combo you have.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yup! If I can save $50 by adding two spacers, then why not. Sounding like this is not the way to go though, I've seen a few things now suggesting they aren't compatible. I just love bottom bracket standards so much...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yup! If I can save $50 by adding two spacers, then why not. Sounding like this is not the way to go though, I've seen a few things now suggesting they aren't compatible. I just love bottom bracket standards so much...
yea, it's super frustrating for sure. just use your shimano cranks for now and keep an eye out for something good to upgrade.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've always wanted ROTOR cranks for reasons I can't explain...massive, forged 7 series hollow aluminum does the trick, I guess. I saw a few pairs, but I've got shitty FSAs lying around as spares....I feel like I should just spend the money to make the fancy bike fancy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've always wanted ROTOR cranks for reasons I can't explain...massive, forged 7 series hollow aluminum does the trick, I guess. I saw a few pairs, but I've got shitty FSAs lying around as spares....I feel like I should just spend the money to make the fancy bike fancy.
i saw recently that rotor has some fancy cranks that have built in power meters :fancy:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Make the fancy bike fancy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
set yourself on fire, foul bot

I don't know about that, I would prefer cat videos over BB standards.

After the climate wars have begun the only BB standard will be greased rags packed around whatever you can find. And the grease will likely be whatever human renderings you found that have become too foul to consume or use as personal lubricant.