Quantcast

BBTC announces a new mountain bike course at Duthie Hill Park!

BBTCJON

Chimp
Jun 7, 2005
Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC) is pleased to announce that we
have received $150,000 in grants from King County to build a new
mountain bike skills course at Duthie Hill Park on the Sammamish
Plateau. Design work on the course will start in January, which will
include input from both the local riding community and the neighbors
surrounding the park. Groundbreaking is scheduled for summer 2008.

This new 120 acre mountain bike course will have something for
everyone. There will be a range of new trails and technical features,
dirt jumps, a pump track and a cross country race loop. In addition,
the new trails will create access to already existing trails at Grand
Ridge. This park will be another first of its kind designed and built
by BBTC. This park will become the hub for mountain biking races and
events in Western Washington.

Duthie Hill Park represents the newest trend in mountain biking--
skills parks close to communities where kids and families of all
abilities can ride. Following BBTC's success with the Colonnade
Skills Park in Seattle, we now have Duthie Hill. Soon we hope to have
parks like these in every community in Washington State.

For more information, go to the BBTC trail page for Duthie Hill Park.
http://bbtc.org/wiki/index.php?title=Trail:Duthie_Hill

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I walked this park a few years back with Juice and others when it was in the works. Trust me, this is going to really really good. The area has enough space to fit in anything you could wish for and more. It also has a great wide open area in the center for possible events and gatherings. Super stoked on this place coming to fruition. I'm already prepping my back for the loads of dirt I'm gonna be throwin' up there in the near future. Good job BBTC!

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
I walked this park a few years back with Juice and others when it was in the works. Trust me, this is going to really really good. The area has enough space to fit in anything you could wish for and more. It also has a great wide open area in the center for possible events and gatherings. Super stoked on this place coming to fruition. I'm already prepping my back for the loads of dirt I'm gonna be throwin' up there in the near future. Good job BBTC!

Yeah amigo, getting the contract signed tried my patience, but it'll be worth it - big time. Start hoarding the cedar!

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
A LOT of our patience... :) Thanks for finally just forging the signature... j/k :clapping:

Already hoarding for ya. Will we be able to drive in the old road next to "that guy's" house at some point? It will be easier to get to the open central location for working from and also for the dump truck loads of dirt for the DJs.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
A LOT of our patience... :) Thanks for finally just forging the signature... j/k :clapping:

Already hoarding for ya. Will we be able to drive in the old road next to "that guy's" house at some point? It will be easier to get to the open central location for working from and also for the dump truck loads of dirt for the DJs.

Building an access road will be necessary. Lots of stuff to figure out, we will do preliminary project planning in Jan - Feb and probably launch into design after that. Details will be pretty slow coming until we get a bit further, do the site survey, figure out the permitting and access issues - all the boring stuff first.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Not unless you want 12 second run times. I think it has a max vert of 130 feet though if I recall from walking it, there isn't that much sustained anywhere. More like 80 feet? King Co wanted to know if we wanted it for a bike park and we were not going to turn them down due to the low amount of vert though. Sorry.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
DH racing possible here? never heard of this place. . .
We still REALLY need to find a good spot for a DH race course. If Snoqualmie would just run their lifts again, then we'd be set. I wonder if Stevens Pass is planning on having a DH race line.

Finding a good spot for racing is even harder than finding a good spot for full-blown, big-vert freeride, since you need to be able to shuttle up to the top, plus a trail that can handle the rigours of DH racing. I figure you need what, about 500 ft vert as a minumum for a good, raceable line with 3:00 times?

Joel, you reading this? Any plans for racing at Stevens Pass when you guys get up and running?

Joel, you reading this? Any plans for racing at Stevens Pass when you guys get up and running?
There was a thread on MTBR about a week ago about this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=364676

Stevens Pass Bike Park Update
So my plan is to post updates on the progress of the Stevens Pass Bike Park as we move forward. This way you are hearing it from the source and not from the street.

Right now we are moving forward and are knee deep in the process with the Forest Service. We are on track for an FS approval in May of 2009! I know that this is a long time out, we have been pushing for a quicker timeline but the process is what is. Once we get approval we will start construction that summer with possibly some sort of limited operation late that summer? We want to have something to offer and not have to wait another whole year. From our end we are ready to start as soon as we get approvals.

Keep emailing the info@stevenspass.com address with support. We are keeping the emails of everyone that is contacting us so that we can call on you guys when we need public support. Cindy is the one who responds to those emails and does her best to respond personally to everyone.

Use this forum to give us ideas or suggestions of things that you would like to see. I can tell you that our goal is to do this right from day one and would like all the feedback that we can get. Hang in there with us as we go through the process!

Joel

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Not unless you want 12 second run times. I think it has a max vert of 130 feet though if I recall from walking it, there isn't that much sustained anywhere. More like 80 feet? King Co wanted to know if we wanted it for a bike park and we were not going to turn them down due to the low amount of vert though. Sorry.
How about a dedicated dual slalom course? Elements of a pump track to keep people interested long term but permanant so maybe a series could be held there. Tues. or Thurs. night DS series anyone...

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
How about a dedicated dual slalom course? Elements of a pump track to keep people interested long term but permanant so maybe a series could be held there. Tues. or Thurs. night DS series anyone...
You want a piece of this, do you?

I had to post that just so I could be the first smack-talker in the event that happens...which, by the way, is a great idea.:lighten:

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
im totally down for that, colonade also has the potential for a similar setup. "seattle urban ds series". now where's the track at sst andy?

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Hacker, there's some nice slope heading North of the central clearing that could possibly sustain some vert/flat pump style DS for sure.

There's already a set of old abandoned step downs in there from days past.

There is an access road to the left to that area that would work great for the loop back up in a clock wise fashion as well.

My suggestion would be to sign on and get Justin to let you make that your baby. Sorry, no creek gaps to start it out though... ;)

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Yup, a DS line is high up on a lot of wish-lists (including mine), and I'm pretty sure we can make it happen. I can't wait, that'll be fun.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Yeah I'll take a piece!
I always wondered if you couldn't build a slalom course on the other side of SST, above the golf course?
If you have an area in SST that would work too.

If that is a real possibility anywhere (SST or Duthie) pleae let me know.
If I had a Bobcat, Stephen, it would be there in no time. As-is, it's a single-lane track if you start at the culdesac and run the left line all the way down...sort of like Tron.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Yeah I'll take a piece!
I always wondered if you couldn't build a slalom course on the other side of SST, above the golf course?
If you have an area in SST that would work too.

If that is a real possibility anywhere (SST or Duthie) pleae let me know.
Hmmmmm...the hillside above the golf course would be gold. A lot of work, but gold all the same. Another good spot would be in the vicinity of Tapeworm. That hill seems to have the right grade and ample length for a run.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
galby seems like another spot that could do with a slalom track. although pump track is pretty close

Stevenspass

Monkey
Sep 6, 2007
Leavenworth, WA
We still REALLY need to find a good spot for a DH race course. If Snoqualmie would just run their lifts again, then we'd be set. I wonder if Stevens Pass is planning on having a DH race line.

Finding a good spot for racing is even harder than finding a good spot for full-blown, big-vert freeride, since you need to be able to shuttle up to the top, plus a trail that can handle the rigours of DH racing. I figure you need what, about 500 ft vert as a minumum for a good, raceable line with 3:00 times?

Sorry for the late response, skiing has been too good so I haven't checked for a while.

We have marked out a possible DH line jsut this Fall, unfortunatley it did not make it into the first phase proposal. It will be added into the 2nd phase but the issues is that this is still a couple years out.

Joel