Quantcast

BC Monkeys...

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Steve and I are going XCing this weekend (the rain is keeping us off the rocks) - As yet we haven't found any great XC up in BC yet...just freeride/dh stuff.

Any suggestions? We'll be leaving from Coquitlam, and driving isn't a huge deal.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Mocha said:
Alice Lake in Squamish really is the only worthwhile XC in the area.
Squamish is a beautiful area, how do we find the trails up there? You can PM me if the trails are private/illegal, but I don't really have the impression that secret trails are as big of a deal up there as down here...

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Vancouver, BC, Canadistan
For a short ride Belcara isn't bad (up past Buntzen Lake by the Burrard Thermal Plant). There used to be a few XC races there every year and the trails are easy to find/hard to get lost

Mike Lake in Golden Ears Provincial Park isn't bad either (also a pretty short ride).

I've heard Squamish is excellent but I've never ridden there

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Polytics said:
For a short ride Belcara isn't bad (up past Buntzen Lake by the Burrard Thermal Plant). There used to be a few XC races there every year and the trails are easy to find/hard to get lost

Mike Lake in Golden Ears Provincial Park isn't bad either (also a pretty short ride).

I've heard Squamish is excellent but I've never ridden there
Really? We thought those trails up by Buntzen looked suspiciously like Mtn Bike trails :thumb:

However, once I was out walking the dog around buntzen and on the way down from one of the upper trails - I saw this dood seriously struggling up a loose icky looking gravel bed. ouch!!!

where does belcarra begin?
I dunno the Golden Ears Provincial Park either...we can look that up tonight tho when I get to BC...

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
Jr_Bullit said:
Really? We thought those trails up by Buntzen looked suspiciously like Mtn Bike trails :thumb:

However, once I was out walking the dog around buntzen and on the way down from one of the upper trails - I saw this dood seriously struggling up a loose icky looking gravel bed. ouch!!!

where does belcarra begin?
I dunno the Golden Ears Provincial Park either...we can look that up tonight tho when I get to BC...
Not Buntzen lake particularily... the trail around it is non biking. The trails I'm refering to are off of Ioco Rd (near Buntzen lake/White pine beach etc) but they are actually higher up by the Burrard Thermal plant. There is a huge rocky hilltop that is used by Trials Motorcyclists and just past the hillock on the right is the start of the XC trails.

I wish the details weren't so fuzzy. But when you are on Ioco Rd (which is the road you take to get up to Eagle Ridge if you have biked there) you turn left just before the road starts to go uphill (towards Eagle Ridge). You follow the road (that went to the left) until you hit a church and a school and turn right. You follow that road (it snakes up the hill) until you are at the Burrard Thermal plant. (I'm going to go now and see if I can find actual directions since even I am confused now).

Or PM me and you can drag my slow, lazy ass out for a ride and I'll show you.

Polytics

Chimp
Mar 28, 2005
OK... first I'll also say if you haven't ridden Nicoles on Burnaby Mtn. It is pretty much an XC trail as well (although you'll see lots of folks on big bikes wearing full faces shuttling up on the bus). To earn your ride you park at the end of North Rd. (you'll see all the cars) and then climb up the Transcanada Trail to SFU. Then across SFU and down Nicoles (pretty fun rip).

SwitchBack/Eric Dunning (the Trails at Mike Lake @ Golden Ears) are in pretty bad condition (*Insert partisan rant about Gov't*) compared to usual but are still rideable.

Ok... for Belcarra Regional Park (Burrard Thermal plant)

http://www.teamgrizzly.ca/ridingareas/fraservalley.html (Scroll down to "Trials Riding Area/ Ioco)

Follow the same directions the trials motorcyclists ride (you even park in the same place). The gate near where you park is where you will exit. From were you park (there is a big bald rock on your left you park on the right) you follow the road a few meters and you will see the trail head on your right. The trails are fairly well marked and maintained.

Universe

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Courtenay, BC
Vancouver Island has much better XC than the Vancouver area. There are many loops here that could keep you going forever. We hope to get XC bikes again one day.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I could name some trails in whistler but we are getting seriously dumped on. So much freaking snow.

Enjoy your trip.