Quantcast

BCD and son

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That's a great Pic!

I still can't believe Panaracer or someone who has those new tires won't lend you a pair for Worlds. I hope someone comes through for you to keep my hope for the mtb community alive.

May 9, 2006
NYC
MMcG said:
That's a great Pic!

I still can't believe Panaracer or someone who has those new tires won't lend you a pair for Worlds. I hope someone comes through for you to keep my hope for the mtb community alive.
I am with you, despite ozlongboarders not so subtle request the other day no one offered..
I don't know the arrangement but perhaps once you get a product to test it must stay in your posssesion until it's release date. By handing it out you cut off your supply.
Still I had hoped Jeff would PM and get him a pair..
I see you made another attempt today MMcG..

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I too would have thought Alex would have a set by now... the MTB community is pretty cool like that generally... or so I thought.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Read between the lines. It's pretty obvious that for some reason they don't want someone racing DH on those tires right now. Worried, maybe, that the tire won't hold up to that heavy usage? Worried that a poor performance review might affect their sales to the guys who have too-high expectations for the tire? I don't know...

May 9, 2006
NYC
jbogner said:
Read between the lines. It's pretty obvious that for some reason they don't want someone racing DH on those tires right now. Worried, maybe, that the tire won't hold up to that heavy usage? Worried that a poor performance review might affect their sales to the guys who have too-high expectations for the tire? I don't know...
I thought that, it's an aggressive XC/AM tire not a DH tire so perhaps they don't want it failing at a something it is not designed for.
That said BCD wanted to test them to see if they meet his needs before the race or if his franken tires are better suited for now and he seems highly capable of making this call.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It's not like Alex is gonna bash the tire publicly if they don't hold the muster on a DH course. He's not that kinda guy in my opinion.

I consider the mtb community extremely generous. I hope they don't let me down on this one.

Alex deserves at least a shot to try these out if they are the best thing possible for his DH bike.

I mean if he places well on his bike, think of what it will do for 29" wheels in this genre of riding.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
they have got to be better than my moto's

not that WTB has not been one of the most generous
sponsors i have ever had in my cycling life.

no, i don't badmouth stuff or people.

there was a message on my machine tonight about
tires. i'll call them tomorrow.

i feel 80% BTI will get some in b/f worlds. just how much b/f it to tell

alex

Cloxxki

Chimp
May 9, 2006
I sent the UCI a couple e-letters to make sure Alex's wheels won't be measured up with a 29.00" mold for some silly reason. Hell will break loose if they are going to interpret the new rules to ban rather than to allow 29" bikes.
UCI MTB Coordinator replied to my email within minutes, he'll cotnact the jury.

Panaracer's turn. I'm sure Alex will try to get the tires as reliable as possble. Stitch in canvas strips, paint thick layers of latex on the inside, that sort of thing.

Judging from the first reports, the Panaracer Rampage will be quite a few steps up from the Motoraptor.
Suppose Alex gets ahold of the Rainbox Jersey, on 29" Rampage XC tires...talking about a marketing opportunity! Time for a 2.5 DH version then.

My gut feeling says Alex has a shot at that jersey, if he gets time to get used to Rampage tires, and have some spares so he won't have to save his one set for the final run only.
Next year they will "all" have 29" DH tires, from Kenda, Maxxis, etc. Change for Panaracer promo diminished.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Cloxxki said:
My gut feeling says Alex has a shot at that jersey, if he gets time to get used to Rampage tires, and have some spares so he won't have to save his one set for the final run only.
well seeing as though he got 3rd in his age group last year, i'd say that's not a stretch of a statement...

good luck alex, regardless of what tires you roll.

btw, did you ever race when the masters were held @ bromont?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
narlus said:
well seeing as though he got 3rd in his age group last year, i'd say that's not a stretch of a statement...

good luck alex, regardless of what tires you roll.

btw, did you ever race when the masters were held @ bromont?

no, last year was my first year.
if some CO big names come
it going ot be hard to win, but that is
what i am training for. have tons of
extra power, that is where i am week.

the top of the track if fresh cut so that
will help even it up with the locals.