NM
just won it on ebay last night.
an affordable way to make all new
accurate molds.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Congrats on the purchase. It is amazing what you can easily do with the right tools.

I have been looking to get a mill for years. The problem has always been that the smaller mills go for big bucks on ebay and I didn't have the space for a large mill. The good news is that I just bought land and I am approved by both the township and the wife for a 40'x60' outbuilding for my toys. So once I sell my current house I can start construction on the new house and barn.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
vitox:
it was $4000
i will pick it up in colorado springs, my wife has family there so it will workout good.
not too far, local auctions just didn't have what i ws looking for.

chris king:
my shop i guess was actually step one. i got a 40x40 steel Mueller

DW:
i have borrowed friend machines before but it will rule have one right here
to use anyway i need.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
here it is coming home. 2500lbs and the 2 axle trailer, the van was crawling.............. .. ................. .. ................

only way to move it by myself

fits nicely

local welcome

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
equipment like that can only mean really good things for BCD.

I can't wait to see how your frames small parts are greatly improved. Billet CNC shock mounts, links, axles, dropouts ETC greatly improve the finish-out of a custom cycle.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Sweetness,

I love playing around in shops, and using machines like that are wicked fun, once you learn how to use em' ahah!

Dan

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I bought a very similar mill on ebay 5 years ago. It has paid for itself many times over.
I shipped mine from NJ to Seattle, WA. How's that for local?

The first time I moved mine, I tried to do it with a pallet jack. Good thing the pallet jack was a rental.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
buildyourown said:
The first time I moved mine, I tried to do it with a pallet jack. Good thing the pallet jack was a rental.
I did the exact same thing. ;)

Now I have to get it up and running. and then buy some new tooling for my lathe as well.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
That's sweet Alex. Wish I'd known you were coming up to the Springs or maybe we could have gone riding. :p Although I'm sure it was more of a business only trip...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ok, so I guess stage 2 of the cogbox is designing something that's light, has about 7 or 8 gears, uses a rapid fire shifter and can be fitted in a Nucleon right?! ;)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
thanks all

there need to be some 220 3 phase ran or i might get a phase converter
if new lines cost a lot.

that is my pet "dead" tarantula. i keep it around to desensitize myself
to the wild of living in the country. i still double take it when i walk by.

phase II of the cogbox bike is to make a proto to get it shifting fast and
right.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Alex,
I have some decent plans for a phase converter too if you interested in making your own. There are some tricks for using a converter on a CNC.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
mtnbrider said:
Thats so cool. HOw does CAD work? Is it codes with numbers similiar to computers like htm,html,...

CAD is drawing.
CNC code looks like a bunch of random numbers. The computer uses the cartetian coordinate system to navigate in space (X,Y,Z)
Just like graphing 3d curves in calc class.
Once you learn to "read" the code, you can visualize the machines movement.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
bcd said:
just won it on ebay last night.
an affordable way to make all new
accurate molds.

Nice Mill and Shop. If I had a place to work out of like that, my wife would never see me. I miss the fun I had in school working on the Mills. I would stay over 2 to 4 hours after class was over just to play. Hope to see some nice work out of you soon.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
bcd said:
thanks all

there need to be some 220 3 phase ran or i might get a phase converter
if new lines cost a lot.
How far is it sitting from the panel? If it is not to far you can just run a big rubber cord. Let me know the power requirements and i will tell you what you need to get. If you can build a bike I know you can do a little electrical work.

Dennis

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
denjen said:
How far is it sitting from the panel? If it is not to far you can just run a big rubber cord. Let me know the power requirements and i will tell you what you need to get. If you can build a bike I know you can do a little electrical work.

Dennis
i have single phase 220 10' away.

i would have to get line ran from the street for 3 phase.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
konastab01 said:
Very nice alex that must have been a struggle getting it off the pallet.
Yeah, seriously.!

How did you get it off the trailer?

Dave

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
dw said:
Yeah, seriously.!

How did you get it off the trailer?

Dave

should have taken a pic.

dug 18'' deep trenches for the tires.

then pryed it across the steel tread plate,

it moved quite easy. then on to the pipes.

most all of yesterday was spiders, and sweat!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
bcd said:
i have single phase 220 10' away.

i would have to get line ran from the street for 3 phase.
I am sure you have thought of this but if you run 3 phase power in the building set another panel to cover any future ebay puchases. Sometimes the control box's on equipment like that can be rewired for 220, you may want to look into that also. If I lived any where close I would love to help you out.

Dennis

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
EVRAC said:
I'm supervisor of a mid-sized CNC shop. Check out these puppies:
I'm going to sound a little spoiled here but I'll say it any way, that first picture looks alot like the machine shop I used in college. We had an Okuma lathe with live spindle tooling, a Fadal VMC, 2 Sodick wire EDM's, a Sodick plunge EDM, a Superdrill, 2 Hurco 3 axis CNC mills a Fryer 3 Axis mill with an Anilam control and a Bridgeport easy path lathe, along with several manual mills and lathes. I spent a lot of time in the shop, looking back I wish I'd spent more money on material and spent some more time really learning the CNC equipment.

One of these days my dad will buy a CNC mill, it's only a matter of time, he's been talking about it for about 10 years. He wants to make wind powered water pumps for irrigation and small wind powered generators for things like outdoor accent lighting. Of course where he lives the wind blows >20 mph every day.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Kornphlake said:
One of these days my dad will buy a CNC mill, it's only a matter of time, he's been talking about it for about 10 years. He wants to make wind powered water pumps for irrigation and small wind powered generators for things like outdoor accent lighting. Of course where he lives the wind blows >20 mph every day.

after i get caught up i am doing a mini wind farm here.
we have some nice wind in the texas panhandle.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
It seems like wind powered gizmos would get a lot more attention, considering there is a huge market in third world countries where even something like a wind powered generator to charge a battery that can run a few high output LEDs would illuminate an entire household indefinately for less than a hundred dollars initial investment. Or to charge a cell phone battery where powerlines don't exist. Or a wind powered heat pump attatched to a small refridgerator to keep milk from spoiling... If you think about it a little bit and visit one of the third world countries you'll see how many opportunities there are to improve the quality of life for the larger part of an entire nation with simple and low cost inventions.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
having been lucky enough to visit alex's pad for a few hours, i'll say that he practically lives in paradise. if there was an ocean nearby, it would be, hands down.