Quantcast

bcd pushing the DH limits - but what about a long travel trail bike 29er??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
bcd is doing some cool stuff with his Inedible, but what about a long travel hardtail or FS 29er - not much going on there right now.

Is it because of fork manufacturers not producing the product, or frame makers not taking that risk yet or a combination of both..........or do you just not need all that travel with the big wheels?

Discuss.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
As someone that is curious about the whole 29 "thing" I would say it is a combination of forks and frames. Fork makers seem very cautious about entering the market ie Fox. It wouldn't make sense for a frame mfg. to put out a frame for which you can't get an adequate fork.

I'm pretty excited about Niner Bikes RIP 9. Only thing about that frame though one's still limited on fork choice. I don't care for RS, White seems mediocre at best and the Mav DUC needs better damping, IMO.

I almost picked up a rigid 29 SS, which seems to be niche for 29 right now.

Tires mfgs are starting to see the light which is encouraging.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Lenz Sport Leviathan has been around for a while.

I think the big problem right now is lack of longer travel forks for those bikes. Also, ride height on a hardtail with a 6 inch travel fork and 29er wheel would be a bit nuts. The fit on that bike would be tough.

Personally I don't see the need for a 29er long travel FS bike. However I bought my 29er because I wanted to smooth out the ride of a rigid bike. For big guys who want a full travel trail bike it makes sense, but at 5'7 and riding fully rigid I don't fall into that category.

Personally the only FS 29er I rode I hated, however a lotof people love them. I would like to see a Gary Fisher Cake 29er.

The Ito

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Lenzsport has the BEhemoth at 5" of travel - the Leviathon is currently a 3" travel bike, but soon there will be 4" rockers for it.

I guess you could build a sturdier frame at say 4.5" of travel and have it serve as an all mountain freeride type of bike.

Sorta like the Transition Preston FR concept but with bigger wheels.

I wouldn't mind tryin a bike like that.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMcG said:
Lenzsport has the BEhemoth at 5" of travel - the Leviathon is currently a 3" travel bike, but soon there will be 4" rockers for it.

I guess you could build a sturdier frame at say 4.5" of travel and have it serve as an all mountain freeride type of bike.

Sorta like the Transition Preston FR concept but with bigger wheels.

I wouldn't mind tryin a bike like that.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time...

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
I got a call from a frame builder friend today and he is working on a
unified SS trail/dh bike with 6''.

the pivot will be only like 4'' right above the BB @ 90 deg at 1/2 sag.
so BB movement will be minimal.

he is using long horizontal dropouts to be able ot use 29 or 26 rear.
he is sorda short so its a good idea.

should be a fun trail bike.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
bcd said:
I got a call from a frame builder friend today and he is working on a
unified SS trail/dh bike with 6''.

the pivot will be only like 4'' right above the BB @ 90 deg at 1/2 sag.
so BB movement will be minimal.

he is using long horizontal dropouts to be able ot use 29 or 26 rear.
he is sorda short so its a good idea.

should be a fun trail bike.

Who is this builder?

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
MMcG said:
.........or do you just not need all that travel with the big wheels?
I have done some pretty rough rides with my fs 29er and the way it was going over some of the logs and rocks had me convinced that I just don't need any more travel than what that bike has. I imagine that the freeride/downhill set will always push the limits so the levels will always increase but for the little dh-ing I do my bike feels more than adequate.
(granted I only weigh about a buck fourty five so . . .. . .)

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Smelly said:
and why is he building a unified bike when there are endless possibilities for a better suspension design?
its going ot be SS, so a unified is a great simple design.

if you put the pivot above the bb your weight hangs down

when you stand and it becomes softer when standing.
It's like a idrive. neutral unified. NOT locked out like old
designs were.

May 9, 2006
NYC
The astrix monk looks good but it's getting a good fork up front at a decent price and the tire selection that are the problems.
Still as N8 said it's only a matter of time.

I did hear and post on mtbr about a sighted race style proto by specalized.. carbon front/alloy rear/4 pivot /possibly 4" of travel.
Not much response to my post, perhaps it was wrong to mention it, jinx factor and all...

Not what I want but if it starts the Specalized and Fox combo rolling I am all for it. I would like a fox 36 talas in a 29er version.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
noname said:
I have done some pretty rough rides with my fs 29er and the way it was going over some of the logs and rocks had me convinced that I just don't need any more travel than what that bike has. I imagine that the freeride/downhill set will always push the limits so the levels will always increase but for the little dh-ing I do my bike feels more than adequate.
(granted I only weigh about a buck fourty five so . . .. . .)
What is your FS bike??

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
MMcG said:
What is your FS bike??

2005 Fisher Sugar 293 slightly modified from the one pictured.
Flack Jacket cables and 8 inch front rotor.
I flog the living piss out of this bike, I honestly think it takes more abuse than my bmx and my 26'' dirtjumper/urban bike.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would love to see a Specialized Enduro-esque 29er. Something w/ 6" of balanced travel that climbs well but can be shuttled, and has the right geo w/ a nice low CG.