Quantcast

Beacon News

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Short version - the gate should be open on a permanent basis so you don't have to park by Boulder Beach any more. You should now be able to park in the lower lot, off the road.

Other notes. We met with the IMBA trail care crew and the park site manager this weekend. Look for support of mountain biking by the city, and a long term site plan that favors bikers . This might include things like more trails, stunts, etc. This is all good for mountain bikers. The FTTRC is going to put a group together immediately to start working on these plans, which will also include applying for a Kona Freeride Grant next spring. Anyone interested in being part of the planning process... please come to our next meeting at David's Pizza, Thursday night, (8/18) at 6:30 ( corner of Boone and Hamilton) We'll be putting a committee together to start all this.

cheers,
geargrrl

Wow....Legal freeride access done through the system!! Awesome!!

Examples like this and the Hood River are great! It shows that if you focus energy into the changing the system rather fight it, you can make a difference and help the sport grow in the long run.

Kudos to evryone involved. :thumb:

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I don't have the full report from the meeting of the TCC with the Camp Sekani manager, but I understand it went very well. I will post information as I get it. I really want to encourage folks to get involved here, there's a great vision for a mountain bike park, but you have to work through the channels, and not be digging dirt jumps when no one is looking with shovels that you keep hidden in the bushes. We are working to get it all out in the open...

geargrrl

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
you have to buy your own pizza and beer, sorry. No dancing girls either.

Specifically, it will be a typical meeting, aka, possibly boring but maybe interesting sitting around talking about this stuff, ideas, making plans etc. ( following an agenda, discussion etc....) We'll be hashing out some ideas for the beacon long term plan, which we've just gotten an ok from the city to put together, if I understand correctly. There will most likely be a seperate beacon commitee formed to work out the details in some other sessions. We have already gotten the go ahead a few months ago for some stunt trails and so on, but we've got so few people working on all this stuff that it's slow going. (hint, hint). So, if you've got an interest in inputting ideas, helping to build etc, yeah, it'd be great to have folks.

I don't have the "report" of how the official meeting with the city went, yet, but I will post it when I get it.

This stuff doesn't happen by magic - getting permission to build, working on the legal issues, planning development etc takes some commitment and energy. I tell you tho, it sure feels good to put your money where your mouth is when we can make things happen.

If you want to PM me your email, I will send you the agenda for the meeting if I haven't scared you away yet. :o: You can always be on the Beacon comittee without coming to the main meeting too, I just have to know who you are so I can get you connected to the right people.

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
I don't know if I'd be much help with the legal stuff. I'd be interested in helping build stunts though. Right now I'm building a huge system of ladders and stunts in my own back yard.

I had planned to ride Mt. Spokane today but whats up with this rain? It hadn't rained for like a month. Hopefully there won't be any more fires this year. The last one destroyed some trails. :mad: