Quantcast

Bear At Banner

stacy1

Chimp
Sep 14, 2004
OFF 410
I ride out there all the time have never seen any wild life, did ride across some equestrians getting it on once though, scary stuff

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I saw a bear at Tolt/Mac tree farm.

then I got a bear bell and was riding around out there and came across someone else on a bike who said, "is the bell really nesasarry?" (he even miss spelled it like that too....:))

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
bear bells don't work, and they are ungodly annoying. if i ever caught my friends or family wearing such a ridiculous piece of "outdoor" equipment, i would rip it off their body, bop them in the head w/it, then stand over them in their sleep and ring it till they cry!!!!!!! ranks right up there with mtb cell phone holders and collapsable hiking staffs!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
fattyfat1 said:
bear bells don't work, and they are ungodly annoying. if i ever caught my friends or family wearing such a ridiculous piece of "outdoor" equipment, i would rip it off their body, bop them in the head w/it, then stand over them in their sleep and ring it till they cry!!!!!!! ranks right up there with mtb cell phone holders and collapsable hiking staffs!
blow me? :stosh:

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
pnj said:
I saw a bear at Tolt/Mac tree farm.

then I got a bear bell and was riding around out there and came across someone else on a bike who said, "is the bell really nesasarry?" (he even miss spelled it like that too....:))
Pffffft.....I don't need a bear bell, I have an ACS claw. :D For MTB just get a King hub and you're good to go. :devil:

fattyfat1 said:
I used to run a bell on my XC bike. I used it for horses....I rode a lot of trails shared by horses, and I found most equestrians appreciated it. They usually can't hear you coming, and that's what startles the horse. It drove my freinds nuts...hahahaha.

mtnluvn

Monkey
May 14, 2005
Squamish/Whistler
Here the bells have always been a bit of a running joke, along with the bear spray (that pun wasn't intended he he). The bells are kinda like the dinner bell to let the bears know food is nearby and the bear spray is the seasoning (mmm.... peppery). I'm lucky (or some would say unlucky I suppose) but I've seen HEAPS of bears while out hiking/riding/camping and never had a problem, of course I sing and talk to myself out loud which replaces the dingling of the bells so it serves the same purpose;) My experience is if the creatures know you're there, 99% of the time you won't know they are. Agreed that the bells are generally more annoying to the other people that generally head to the hills to get some peace and quiet, but if you heard me sing you might prefer the sound of bells :D