Quantcast

Bearing kits

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I am looking to get new bearings for my 2011 Demo and I came across these. Has anyone used them before? If so what do you think of them compared to the stock bearings? They are about half of the price of Enduro and factory bearings.

-Brett

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I would be weary. Enduro bearings are bad enough, and are typically a one year affair (if even), and these look like even cheaper chinese bearings. In terms of countries who have bearing manufacturing down, it's historically Japan, USA, Italy, and Germany with a few others in the mix.

Good bearings are expensive, for a reason. I got 4 months out of a set of enduros, and 2 years out of SKF's on the same assembly. At the shop we use SKF, FAG, TIMKEN, etc on our machines, because the machines are an investement and we know first hand how low quality bearings can ruin machines worth hundreds of thousands of dolars. Your bike is worth thousands of dolars, what's a hundred on some quality bearings? Especially if you paid for Kashima or a CCDB!! (you don't think gritty bearings are worse than a tiny difference in seal stiction???)

Don't kid yourself. Because something is cheap, probably means it's cheap. Spend the money, and buy better than what specialized spec'd as stock. Go SKF and see the difference. Some even have a 3 year warranty, which says a lot about them.

Last edited:

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I wasnt aware that skf made bearings for bikes. Do you have a link? Do they sell kits or just have to find all the sizes and order that way?

-Brett

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I wasnt aware that skf made bearings for bikes. Do you have a link? Do they sell kits or just have to find all the sizes and order that way?

-Brett
You will need to pull the bearings and use the numbers on them (usualy molded on one of the seal surfaces, or etched onto the metal). I'm not sure if specialized used a proprietary size (hopefully not....), but most bikes use industry standard bearings that can be bought from most manufacturers. SKF being one of the largest, more than likely has the sizes you need.

Edit:
The specs are listed in here, page 11. Note that it's the 6xxx RS series number you'll be looking for. So, you can definately buy SKF bearings for your bike. Make sure they are full compliant or 'max' type.
http://service.specialized.com/collateral/ownersguide/new/assets/pdf/FSR---2011-Demo-FSR-Manual.pdf

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Google bearing suppliers around you or who do mail order. I'm in canada, so our suppliers are different. Definately order by the 6xxxRS designation.