Quantcast

Bearing press (Abbey Tools or other)

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
What are you using for bearing press?

Changing bearings is something I never did myself, but I am thinking about doing it. It shouldn't be too hard and I'm doing this all the time on RC cars, but I am reluctant to building a ghetto press using a fileted rod + washers/sockets and use it on a 4000$ carbon wonderframe.

I like quality tools. I dont mind paying for quality when it is worth it, and I hate regretting a purchase because I cheaped out. You know... "Buy once, cry once".

I just bought the Crombie tool and chainwhip from Abbey Tools. The quality seems amazing. I was thinking about maybe picking up their bearing press next year, as I'd like to have the possibility of doing it myself, now that I have 3 full-susp bikes to maintain. Their tools are expensive, without being unresonable, and they seem very well made.

I have a few questions:
- There is no doubt Abbey Tools is top notch, but are there good alternatives worth considering?
- Can I do all the bearings on my bike with the modular bearing press and the appropriate drifts?
- Do I need the Micro press for the smaller pivot bearings?
- Is there a way to know the size of the pivot bearings I need for my various frames without taking them out? From a google search, it seems the bearing sizes are some kind of top secret shit. I can't find precise info anywhere...just "bearing kits for frame XYZ", without any info on the bearing sizes.

Thanks! :)

Olly

Monkey
Oct 1, 2015
I've been using the RRP BPET kit for years, along with a variety of adaptors for the bearings in my frames. Works rather nicely - although the Abbey stuff looks even nicer :-)

I've usually been able to find bearing specs on the bike manufacturer's website. What frames are you looking for?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I've been using the RRP BPET kit for years, along with a variety of adaptors for the bearings in my frames. Works rather nicely - although the Abbey stuff looks even nicer :-)

I've usually been able to find bearing specs on the bike manufacturer's website. What frames are you looking for?
Thanks!

Pivot seems to provide the info, but I cant find the info for the Devinci Spartan Carbon 27 2018, or the Kona Process134 CR 29 2020.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So I didn't have time to write anything else at the time.

I find the wheels mfg stuff to be high quality, works well. They offer a lot of different depths for their drift kits, because some situations require deeper drifts. Would buy again. I have the "cheaper" bearing press and even that seems real high quality to me. Spins so easily and seems to have plenty of leverage. I use it to install BBs and headsets too.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Thanks!

Pivot seems to provide the info, but I cant find the info for the Devinci Spartan Carbon 27 2018, or the Kona Process134 CR 29 2020.
For the Devinci, I'd just start taking it apart and either measure them or look on the seals for what they are. They should be easy to find, but yeah don't really appear listed anywhere easy to find.

For the Kona, my googlefu is looking like there is a list somewhere, but you might need to email Kona and ask for it. They definitely have exploded diagrams, some of which are posted on Pinkbike and elsewhere, but they aren't anywhere on their website. Which seems a little backwards, as you can now buy bikes directly from them..

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i also have the wheels mnfg one and quite like it. maybe someday i'll upgrade, because there's no doubt the abbey ones are top notch. but i don't do a ton of bearing pressing, so the wheels ones meet my needs for now.

and yes you will need a smaller one for smaller bearings. the drifts are designed to slot into the inner race of the bearings to prevent camming.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Seems like no matter what you get, no one press/extractor will cover all scenarios. Sizes, access, blind removal. Seems like the Abbey, Wheels, RWC, Enduro, etc setups all work well, just a question of which works the best for the bikes that you have. I have some of the RWC stuff for my Gambler, but need to add to the collection for my Santa Cruz.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Seems like no matter what you get, no one press/extractor will cover all scenarios. Sizes, access, blind removal. Seems like the Abbey, Wheels, RWC, Enduro, etc setups all work well, just a question of which works the best for the bikes that you have. I have some of the RWC stuff for my Gambler, but need to add to the collection for my Santa Cruz.
the drifts go by bearing size, which ones you need depends on what bearings a particular frame uses. i've been taking the same approach, just getting the drifts as i need them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This company also came out recently, looks like a good option if you're just getting started -

Not too bad for $95 Canadian.

They also have simple instructions/overview of the basics of installing bearings. The removal is good too, but obviously highly dependent on the frame in question - not all have clear access to the back of the bearing. I always find removing the bearing the trickiest part...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Thanks everyone. Very appreciated!

So if I understand correctly, there is no way around finding out what bearing sizes I have on my various bikes and choose the right press(es) accordingly.

@canadmos , yes bearing removal is actually what seems the trickiest in some cases. I think the Park Tool SHX-1 is probably the best tool to avoid running into issues. Quite an expensive tool however...
https://www.parktool.com/product/slide-hammer-extractor-shx-1

Thanks again!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
have you tried...... looking at your bike? all sealed bearings have their # code on the seal
Yes, I know. That's why I don't understand why it is so difficult to find the bearing list online. Taking the bike apart just to know the size of the bearings hidden in there seems a bit strange to me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, I know. That's why I don't understand why it is so difficult to find the bearing list online. Taking the bike apart just to know the size of the bearings hidden in there seems a bit strange to me.
have you tried emailing the frame mnfg? would be worth a shot.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
have you tried emailing the frame mnfg? would be worth a shot.
Not yet. I initially thought I could start by shopping for a press and figure out what bearing I have afterwards. I now realize I was wrong! :)

Thanks again!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not yet. I initially thought I could start by shopping for a press and figure out what bearing I have afterwards. I now realize I was wrong! :)

Thanks again!
tell them you need to know what bearings the frame has, so you can buy appropriate replacements, and bearing tools before you pull your bike apart

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
have you tried...... looking at your bike? all sealed bearings have their # code on the seal
Have you seen the exploded diagram of his bikes? I don't blame him for not wanting to take it apart just to find the bearing sizes. :busted:

But yeah, this is something that you shouldn't have to dig around for. <insert this into whats wrong with the industry thread>

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Thanks again to all for your help. I'm pretty much set on the Wheels Mfg large bearing press. Not currently in stock, but I'm in no rush. I watched some videos on Youtube of this press in action and it seems absolutely amazing. :)

Some people recommended me this cheapo press from Amazon. Does anybody have experience with it, good or bad?

I generally prefer buying the good stuff once. I find it more frustrating to regret buying something cheap that turns out to be crappy than buying something very good that may be more than what I really needed. That being said, this press is about 1/4 of the price of the Wheels Mfg one...so it's probably worth considering.

Thanks again!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Thanks again to all for your help. I'm pretty much set on the Wheels Mfg large bearing press. Not currently in stock, but I'm in no rush. I watched some videos on Youtube of this press in action and it seems absolutely amazing. :)
I couldn't get the large one, not in stock, so I got the economy. I was not disappointed.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That Tenybike set is pretty much the same thing, as long as the drifts aren't cut by a three fingered baboon, they should work.

All it really is, is a threaded rod, some sticks on the end and a bunch of metal pucks.

Only thing that can't be determined from the pictures, is if the thread rod can be replaced easily, should it ever get goofed up.

The added cost on the Wheels stuff will be for the customer service, made in USA stuff and what looks like better anodizing. That blue is pretty awful haha.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Yeah, that blue press is sold under about 100 different names on Amazon. Probably off a chinese catalog and rebranded by many companies nobody has ever heard of. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have two wheels mnfg ones, one is the ½" threaded rod, other is ⅜". Can't remember which models / part numbers, but I had to get the ⅜" second because I had some bearings with drifts that didn't fit the first.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I just realized that the Wheels Mfg kit based on their Press-1 just got back in stock at Jenson. I couldn't resist and I pulled the trigger. :)

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I got this one and it just showed up. Puke blue, but seems decent. Two drifts for a variety of bearings. Not bad for $68.

Any complaints with this set? I think I might get it as it's only $44 or so at the moment. I'm not seeing the justification for spending $300 on the same thing/different colour.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Any complaints with this set? I think I might get it as it's only $44 or so at the moment. I'm not seeing the justification for spending $300 on the same thing/different colour.
The only real complaint is how its stored in that case, with all the drifts on the threaded rod. But thats a minor gripe. :D

Its works.

The only thing missing from it are the cups or sleeves or whatever they are called, that you might use when pressing a bearing out of its home. But you can use a big socket in place of those, so not a huge deal.

Last edited: