Quantcast

Bearing removal (Giant DH Team)

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
Could someone give me the lo-down on getting the bearings out of this part of the linkage? the problem that i'm having is with the spacer/axle that is in between the two sets, can this just be forced out or do the bearings have to come out first? Best technique?

Thanks (in advance)

Mark

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
so theres like a sleeve in the middle? cant you push it over with a screwdriver and then knock the bearings out from behind? like in a 20mm hope bulb?
i may be way off here as i dont own a giant or anything but it could work?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
true, even a larger bench vise would aid loads in this setup.

Don't pound or smack them out, something is gonna bend/break/mar/scratch etc... You get the point. I've had excellent luck using a shop vise or a press and just some large and small sockets to press bearings out of fits like that. Takes no time once you got the sockets setup right.

In some cases using a drift and a hammer will knock one out but they aren't just finger pressed in, it's alot tighter than that. That spacer in the middle is most likley there to space the bearings out correctly. So just be carefull with everything and you should be ok.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
one small socket and one large mallet (plus brute strength and plenty of ignorance) got it out in the end.

why i'm doing it? well its a '02 with original bearings...

the real problem was lack of patience, tomorrow i'll have access to a large vice which will make putting the new bearings in a fair bit easier!