Quantcast

Beat the dead horse; Helmets

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
I used the search could find any real information in either direction. THose in this situation (moto vs mtb) what did you choose and how did it work out?

I can get a 661 evo inspiral and other 661 products for a good price or a 2010 D2 for around 200 or a 2010 Bell Moto 8 for 140.

I know all three are decent popular helmets. Like many questioning what would suit me best. Is a moto helmet/dot approved overkill unless your really going 40+ all the time? Is a D2 worth the price/protection? Are bicycle helmets that far behind the DH protection curve? Is everyone really wearing a pillow on their head with nice paint unless your on a DOT?

POC seems to have some good ideas in terms of dh specific impacts, and the notion that dh speed isn't moto speed but still requires more protection than a normal bicycle full face with dope graphics ( I do understand this is also the advertising hook for POC)

I have a D2 its old as ****e with some small impacts but nothing major. Always liked it. If it ain't broke don't fix it? Upgrade my brain?

I know what size d2 I would fit the small, but other than that no I can't try them on without purchasing / sending back

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Fit is what matters most. I don't fit anything TLD or POC. I've had good luck with 661 and Giro.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
If Urge is on the possible list I would most def try it on before buying. Their DH helmet was a terrible fit for my head, the cheek pads were very poorly thought out. :thumbsdown:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I've worn my Kali moto helmet a couple time on DH. I love it, it's the most comfortable helmet I've ever had. It's snug in all the right places without causing discomfort or what I call "hot spots". Of course I manage to shatter the shell around the sides of the goggle area, but 40 mph lawn-darts will do that.

I think you can get their lower-end one helmets for around $130, and if you know anyone who is good at getting hook-ups you can get their highest end carbon helmet for just a little more.

but honestly if you're able to try those on first you're better off doing that and going with what feels nice. I took a chance with Kali on a recommendation from my brother and was very pleased.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If Urge is on the possible list I would most def try it on before buying. Their DH helmet was a terrible fit for my head, the cheek pads were very poorly thought out. :thumbsdown:
How's that? I have a really big head (typically an XL helmet) but apparently I'm not fat enough to wear an XL because the cheeks are ALWAYS loose on helmets that are big enough for me to get my head into. I've had to add moar shimz to the cheek pads on the vast majority of the helmets I've ever had. If the Urge was too tight in the cheeks for you it might actually be a winner for me.

That said, I have a 661 Evo that I've ridden exactly twice at this point, so hopefully I'm set for a while. :D

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
How's that? I have a really big head (typically an XL helmet) but apparently I'm not fat enough to wear an XL because the cheeks are ALWAYS loose on helmets that are big enough for me to get my head into. I've had to add moar shimz to the cheek pads on the vast majority of the helmets I've ever had. If the Urge was too tight in the cheeks for you it might actually be a winner for me.

That said, I have a 661 Evo that I've ridden exactly twice at this point, so hopefully I'm set for a while. :D
If that's the case check out the Fox V3. Felt like it was raping my face when I'm removing it. Most every helmet I've had, the cheekpads are a little tight, the V3's moreso than anything else I've ever tried on. I wear XL helmets too. TLD and Shoei are the best fit for my head... also the most $$$.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!

I got the small/Medium lid (I wear size medium in all the TLD's) but the cheeks were to fat for my skinny face. The helmet came with extra pads but you would take them and stick them onto the pad thats already there, almost like Velcro. When putting the helmet on the pads would shift and you would have to readjust them to have it be comfortable on your face. Oh and then I went to go put my goggles on and the frames were to big for the helmet and would "hover" on your face. Needless to say I did not even use the helmet.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah that sounds exactly like what I don't want in a helmet. Pass. Thanks.

Any word on your 40?

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
I used the search could find any real information in either direction. THose in this situation (moto vs mtb) what did you choose and how did it work out?

I can get a 661 evo inspiral and other 661 products for a good price or a 2010 D2 for around 200 or a 2010 Bell Moto 8 for 140.

I know all three are decent popular helmets. Like many questioning what would suit me best. Is a moto helmet/dot approved overkill unless your really going 40+ all the time? Is a D2 worth the price/protection? Are bicycle helmets that far behind the DH protection curve? Is everyone really wearing a pillow on their head with nice paint unless your on a DOT?

POC seems to have some good ideas in terms of dh specific impacts, and the notion that dh speed isn't moto speed but still requires more protection than a normal bicycle full face with dope graphics ( I do understand this is also the advertising hook for POC)

I have a D2 its old as ****e with some small impacts but nothing major. Always liked it. If it ain't broke don't fix it? Upgrade my brain?

I know what size d2 I would fit the small, but other than that no I can't try them on without purchasing / sending back
I would not trust a D2 for sh*t....even Troy Lee admitted in an interview (Dirt mag?) about the D2 that they were looking at their Moto helmet as design reference / inspiration to dramatically increase the protection for the D3 design

I've run Moto helmets for DH / FR and yes they are substantially more protective when going high speeds through the rocks, roots, trees and timber stunts

my last moto helmet was a KBC Xenon multi-composite which was cheaper than a D2 and much more substantial (ACU GOLD standard)

an incredibly snug fit which actually gave me ulcers in my mouth from the cheek pads being so tight, but once bedded in, fitted like a glove

my last trip to Whistler, this helmet gave me great service, blasting down the mountain at warp speed gave lots of protection / confidence and good ventilation

it was only a trip down to Vancouver to ride the North Shore on a really hot day that showed the weakness of a Moto helmet - lack of ventilation at FR speeds (climbing / riding flatter terrain / descending technical North Shore in high temps.)

I now run a Giro Remedy which is ATSM 1952F certified and one of the most substantial cycles helmets on the market, also has good ventilation for FR and good protection for DH considering I don't race DH or own a DH bike, and go a little slower on my All-Mtn bike

however, if I raced DH ever again, a moto helmet would be on my shopping list ;)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Very shallow. My chin was waaay below the lower part of the helmet and I'm far from Sarah Jessica Parker

I recomend POC. Great customer service, supposedly the best protection on the market right now. Oh and you don't have to throw them away after the first crash unless you crack them thanks to MIPS.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I recomend POC. Great customer service, supposedly the best protection on the market right now. Oh and you don't have to throw them away after the first crash unless you crack them thanks to MIPS.
As soon as they make a bigger one I'm buying it. I don't fit into their XL. :(

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I ordered an XL and had to return it. I could *barely* get it on, and it felt like putting my head in a vice. Maaaaybe if I shaved my head (not that I have that much hair) and let the padding break in a little, but it really isn't big enough.