Quantcast

Beat way to lock a bike in a vehicle

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
So I've recently begun removing my front wheel and sticking my bike in the rear passenger area of a 4 door truck, and locking it up with a cable, this isn't an overnight parking lot solution but good enough to eat, shit or shop. I feel pretty safe with it. If I'm going to be gone longer than a few mins later at night I usually cover it up.
Breaking into the truck then making a scene while trying to yank a locked up bike out will look, well like a scene.

I'm setting up a van that will be used for mtb road trips I'm trying to think of the most secure way to lock a bike up inside. Being a little more open a theif could toil inside the van and it would be less obvious to bystanders.

First thought is to make sure it's not visible from anywhere outside the van.
Second thought is that it needs to be locked rock solid
Any tips

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Haha, I have those and I put them on when I go to the brewery...super fun.

I did have someone try to cut into one of my bike locks when I was riding to work. I had one of those alarms again, in addition to a bump-sensor/tracker connected to the cell network that would show me the location and sent me a text letting me know someone was trying to steal it. They must have been scared off by the alarm though. I don't ride to work anymore though because they won't let us take it into the building and this wouldn't have worked out long-term.

For the cars, I would just say anything that doesn't attract attention. Don't make the van look like it has a bunch of bike stuff in it. Tint the windows so you can't easily see inside. Don't have any gear or stuff visible. Apple tracking tags for sure.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Do you think people will stop and question some rando who I flailing at your locked up bike, in the midst of trying to steal it? Sadly I'd wager on no. :(

The real solution is to move to Canada, outside the cities. I leave my bike in my car all the time, uncovered and unlocked. As long as the car is locked its fine.

Heck I've even left the keys to my car on my windshield like a complete idiot a few times, no one has ever stolen the car...yet.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Get a flatbed trailer so you can do truck stuff and tow a minivan, the ideal vehicle for people and cargo.
I've got a truck and 5th wheel toy hauler it's a HEAVY old behemoth that is such a pita I only use it once or twice a year. The point of the van is for quick trips and road trips

My van is part truck.
No sprinter....
IMG_20221028_095803.jpg

7.3L turbo diesel. It will at least make truck noises.
If I install the 4wd truck front suspension and transfer case I can do moar truck stuff. Not sure I'm going to go that route

Do you think my graphics will throw off any would be bike thieves?

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Do you think people will stop and question some rando who I flailing at your locked up bike, in the midst of trying to steal it? Sadly I'd wager on no. :(

The real solution is to move to Canada, outside the cities. I leave my bike in my car all the time, uncovered and unlocked. As long as the car is locked its fine.

Heck I've even left the keys to my car on my windshield like a complete idiot a few times, no one has ever stolen the car...yet.
Well I think if a theif is stealing and it gets to looking too obvious they may get spooked.... could be wrong... especially in the case of a twacked out theif or veteran theif

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've got a truck and 5th wheel toy hauler it's a HEAVY old behemoth that is such a pita I only use it once or twice a year. The point of the van is for quick trips and road trips

My van is part truck.
No sprinter....View attachment 183878
7.3L turbo diesel. It will at least make truck noises.
If I install the 4wd truck front suspension and transfer case I can do moar truck stuff. Not sure I'm going to go that route

Do you think my graphics will throw off any would be bike thieves?
Does it come with @eric strt6 ?