Quantcast

Beaver Creek (lots o pics)

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
OK, so this isn't a bike ride report, but I did "ride" last week. Me, the wife and some friends needed a little break so we headed up to Beaver Creek last week for some snowboarding and relaxing. It was a blast. It snowed the entire time. This, combined with the fact that we were there in the middle of the week (no crowds!), made for some excellent conditions.

The drive up wasn't too bad. A little snowpack on the highway, but not too bad.

The condo was nice

We went and had a little sushi in town the first night. The snow was coming down THICK.

Believe it or not, this is a fairly accurate representation of the drive back to the condo after dinner. At one point I realized that the tracks I was following were tracks made by oncoming cars. Luckily, I realized that before tragedy struck.

Looking off the condo balcony the next morning. Its time to ride!

Some nice ski-in/ski-out condos. We weren't quite this close to the slopes, but we were still in walking distance, which was great.

Just starting up the first lift

About 3/4 of the way to the top

Did I mention there were no crowds?

The only halfway decent shot of me

My buddy Todd

This always puts a smile on my face

Top o the world, Ma!

The next day brought more snow, yet no more people

This was the best area we hit. It was a wide open bowl with blue runs down each side and black down the middle. I've never gone so fast in my life. Scared the bejesus out of me, but I was loving life the whole time.

Did I mention there was nobody there?

Powder is fun

I think I forgot to mention this, but there was nobody there!

A few of the runs went through some ski communities, made up of multi-million dollar homes. Riding over and under stone bridges as we passed these houses made me feel like a gentleman skier. Here's one of the houses.

I'm not sure if my friend Adam did a really good or a really bad park job :twitch:

Well, all good things must come to an end. Here's me about to check out

The drive back home was a little more harrowing than the drive out, but it wasn't any match for my Tacoma

About to hit the Eisenhower tunnel and head on down to Denver

And that's about it. I wish we had one more day to ski, but that's all that we could do for now.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
very cool!! too bad it was so crowded

when I was there - I noticed CO doesnt beleive in plowing or salting their roads
Yeah, the crowds were *really* getting to me :happydance:

CO only puts down mag chloride as an anti-icing agent, then copious amounts of sand. Its usually fairly effective, just not so much this year.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Yeah, the crowds were *really* getting to me :happydance:

CO only puts down mag chloride as an anti-icing agent, then copious amounts of sand. Its usually fairly effective, just not so much this year.
They use a mixture of sand and salt. It's nowhere near the proportion of salt that they use everywhere else, but it's in it. And the "sand" is really more like gravel. :rant:

Nice report, PN! :thumb:

Nice pics and report. Mid-week is always the way to go. I just missed a planned trip out there to hit Winter Park, Breck, and Beaver Creek. Got sick in Tahoe over xmas and got a fungal infection in my sinuses:disgust: Just now clearing up.

Enjoy all that snow you guys are getting this year in CO.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
looks like fun. how was the sushi?

half-hijack: do any of you remember when you could DH at beavercreek? I got a few days of biking in on the last season there a few years ago. You used to be able to ride Vail and BC on the same lift ticket.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
looks like you guys started on the Arrowhead side. We traveled to visit some friends at Breck last year and all found the Beav the most fun place to ride/ski. More than Breck, Copper, and yes, even Vail. No crowds at beachelor and Arrowhead sections our day too and lots of pow in the trees as the, "gentlemen skiers" don't seem to ski that.
Good times. Thanks for the opportunity to relive it.