Quantcast

Becoming a part of history

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Life is funny sometimes. In the past few years I have been working my way into Unlimited Air Racing because I know I can't race mountain bikes forever. The airplane that I work on Rare Bear is the most winning airplane at the Reno Air Races(It won the gold for it's 12th time in 04). This year the crew chief died in a tragic accident at an airshow a few weeks ago opening a spot for me to join the team full time. Not how I wanted to get on, but that's life. I just found out yesterday that the Rare Bear once retired will be placed in the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC. The best part is that my name will be on the left landing gear door. Never in my life did I ever think that I would become a part of aviation history. The Bear is the airplane low and inside just before winng last year.(white/gold)

Attachments

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
that is so cool

hey what make/model engine powers it? is the the same engine used in the military bearcat?

how hard its it to get parts for a plane like that, do you have to make alot of them?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Dirt rider said:
that is so cool

hey what make/model engine powers it? is the the same engine used in the military bearcat?

how hard its it to get parts for a plane like that, do you have to make alot of them?

dood... meet google...

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Dirt rider said:
that is so cool

Wright R-3350@4000hp w/o NOS and about 5000 when you hit the little green button.Original powerplant P&W R-2800. R is for radial the # is the cubic inches. So it has 18 cylinders, 32 sparkplugs, 3350+ c.i., 1 HUGE carb, and a propeller off of a Skyraider(3 blade gone)that is 16 feet in diameter with a cord(width)that is 20 inches. It moves so much air that it can and will suck a crew member into it if you get too close during run-ups. EVERYTHING hand made from wing skins to engine cowlings. At takeoff it is just above idle it is so overpowered. If you compare the frontal mass to a Mustang in the picture above it's as aerodynamic as a barndoor. So that's why it has twice the c.i. than a merlin(Mustang)engine.

Cooter: The pilot didn't die the crew chief(head mechanic)did.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Wow Dhtahoe!

I cannot believe you're involved in that scene (reno air races and such). That is some really really cool stuff that's going on there. I read somewhere you were planning on pole racing too?

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Mani_UT said:
Wow Dhtahoe!

I cannot believe you're involved in that scene (reno air races and such). That is some really really cool stuff that's going on there. I read somewhere you were planning on pole racing too?
Yeah I want to build an F1 plane(entry level) soon. I like flying close to the ground... It's fun!!! When I quit racing DH next year that's the next adventure.