Quantcast

Beech Mountain DH and DS Qualifier

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Amazingly I got my bikes ready a week ahead of time....usually, I'm cutting it close. Can't wait to race slalom for the first time in nearly a decade.

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
So i'm thinking of doing the slalom but all I have for a bike right now is the 6.7 inch travel giant reign. Do you guys think it is even worth racing the lees mccrae course on that bike?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I goofed around on my DH bike there and had a lot of fun. Heck, my wife's Specialized Hardrock is a 13" and I've raced it at Clemson's DS and did awesome in DH on it.

Just go, pay, practice til you can't push up anymore, repeat. Try to race on rubbery legs. That's what it's all about. :thumb:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am trying to make this, but it will be a last minute call. As a result I cant do the preregistration and will be doing the same day registration. Any chance you could put the necessary forms available online? It would be great if I could print them and fill them out before getting there.

Mwehahaha

Chimp
Mar 10, 2008
Brevard NC
SLALOM LOCATION HAS CHANGED.

Slalom will be held on the nationals slalom track. I will get some pictures today or tomorrow to give you all an idea of what you have the opportunity to ride.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am trying to make this, but it will be a last minute call. As a result I cant do the preregistration and will be doing the same day registration. Any chance you could put the necessary forms available online? It would be great if I could print them and fill them out before getting there.
Here's the revised flyer

Please preregister to save time and money! Bikereg allows us to print off the registration forms already filled out for you, so all you have to do is walk in, sign and get your number!!

Downhill http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=13996
Dual Slalom http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=14001
Ok so if I am not sure I am going to make it, so preregistration doesnt really work. Do you have the forms available so I can pre-print them and bring them with me if I can make it?

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
Registered online today even though I know I can't be there. It's the only way I could think of to show my support for the future races and a Beech Mountain Bike Park.

rocketmatt17

Monkey
Sep 10, 2007
Registered online today even though I know I can't be there. It's the only way I could think of to show my support for the future races and a Beech Mountain Bike Park.

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
Well can someone give me the deets on this new course. I want to come ride but want to make sure that the 7 inch travel beast I'm going to use for the slalom doesn't just get destroyed on gaps and stuff it can't clear.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Well can someone give me the deets on this new course. I want to come ride but want to make sure that the 7 inch travel beast I'm going to use for the slalom doesn't just get destroyed on gaps and stuff it can't clear.
I haven't seen the course but I know what slope it's on and the slope has a nice healthy downhill grade. It's most likely not gonna be a sprint fest like the LMC track so the bigger bike shouldn't be much of a disadvantage.

But like I said I haven't personally seen the course, just know the slope

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
a hardtail or fs slalom rig would be ideal for this track, but dont stress if you dont have one, the track can be ridden fast without leaving the ground at all. it also doesnt have much pedaling in it, just a ton of flow. its going to make for some great racing.

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
Alright thanks for the information guys. I'll be there who gives a **** if I get my ass handed to me.

kiponga

Chimp
Oct 17, 2009
So are the day registration forms for a license at the race or do those have to be filled out online?

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
Just a quick heads up on parking. In the past some people parked in the grass area. This year everyone is going to stay in the gravel lot. Thanks for your cooperation. Bring a chair though, the old mountain board park is going to be pretty fun to watch.

As for the forms, everything you need to race will be onsite so don't worry.

Snowshoe Trevin came into town a little early to help with set up and do a little safety consultation. That being said I rode my dh bike for the 3rd time since I have been at Beech Mountain today.....Oh man Trevin is going fast and huge!!!! He hit a feature up high on the pro track that no one had hit yet and I am calling out that he went about 35 feet and dropped what I think is over 15 feet!!!! So sick! He also did a massive suicide no hander second try of the long finish line jump...well I think it is long but I will leave that up to you.

We have had no rain since Saturday but the woods are holding moisture well and it should be about as close to super hero cheating traction as you will ever see on the East coast. Get excited because I can guarantee that I am.

See you all Saturday.

Christopher

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I am super bummed I am missing out on this. Stupid work wouldn't give me the time off! Good luck to everyone, myself and some other guys will be at the finals cheering everyone on!

herndon

Chimp
Feb 21, 2005
One more thing....When ever those of you that do make it(sorry mtbman1127) see a Mountain employee give them a big thanks. The lift guys and maintenance guys have been working past dark every night this week to get everything ready for this weekend and most importantly the lift trays. Show them you appreciate it. And for the one female employee of the Mountain, Talia Freeman, you all owe her a big thanks because with out her none of this would be a reality. You most likely won't see Ryan Costin but he is the man, and has a great plan for this place.

Gotta get some rest, it is a big weekend on the mountain followed by a terrible flight across the big pond on Sunday.....World Champs are going to be sick!!!! Lauren Daney representing USA! oh and Specialized/GROM, but USA! USA! USA! USA!

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am so stoked, I may just walk around and hug people.
Apologies in advance.....
Are these rules still in place?

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239602&highlight=hug&page=2

No chest bumps and/or fist bumps.
As long as the following protocol is followed:

1. Begin with a traditional firm handshake

2. Keeping your hand clasped with your buddy, wrap the left arm around the shoulder of your friend.

3. Slap your friend’s back two times. The back slap is key. Somehow hitting your fellow man makes the hug more manly.

4. Release embrace.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Talked to Conto last night. He's coming and jacked up more than a Guido on the juice.

edit:
...and it's all old news, but I just gotta say it sucks what I'm about to do. Buy a Cat 1 license. Doing away with Semi-Pro still makes no sense, but oh well.

Gotta admit, it's pretty neat to see the little drop down menu offering me to pick either "Pro or Cat 1". I'm long past any shot at ever being a pro, but still makes a guy feel special.

Last edited: