Quantcast

Beech Mountain Race 1 Pics

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
No pics, I need to work on my style. :(
That's not necessarily true. What was your bib? Some of the images are repititious, same shot different rider. Plus I have so many, I get tired. This is the second week in a row of going through images (Snowshoe last week) and I have Windham to look forward to. I need to be careful not to burn myself out.

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
That's not necessarily true. What was your bib? Some of the images are repititious, same shot different rider. Plus I have so many, I get tired. This is the second week in a row of going through images (Snowshoe last week) and I have Windham to look forward to. I need to be careful not to burn myself out.
Thanks Jay. My bib was 152 with an orange Jersey and helmet. I can’t imagine loading all those photos, water marking them and touching them up. Really do appreciate everything you do, do. Thanks for being there with all the great pics and getting the scene out on the web.

Might be awhile once I get the speed down, but I do stilll need to work on my style. :D

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Jay, like many others, I sincerely appreciate your efforts and think the pics you've posted so far are brilliant. However, I would kindly ask that if you happen to have any of bib 139, please erase them. Trust me, it's best for everyone involved.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Thanks Jay. My bib was 152 with an orange Jersey and helmet. I can’t imagine loading all those photos, water marking them and touching them up. Really do appreciate everything you do, do. Thanks for being there with all the great pics and getting the scene out on the web.

Might be awhile once I get the speed down, but I do stilll need to work on my style. :D
:thumb:

mbrennan

Monkey
Jan 25, 2011
Jay, like many others, I sincerely appreciate your efforts and think the pics you've posted so far are brilliant. However, I would kindly ask that if you happen to have any of bib 139, please erase them. Trust me, it's best for everyone involved.
Bwahahahaha

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
All, I took the night off last night as after the Sunday pics were done, I needed a break. I will look for other peoples bibs tonight.

I don't want anyone to think I am biased toward certain people, I am not..... it does help when I know you, so next time you see me, stop by and say hi/introduce yourself. Dont be shy, I really enjoy meeting and talking to all the people, that's was makes it fun. It might take me some time to remember all the names though. The more I see you, the more we chat, the more I get used to your helmet/kit, the better I associate names with riders.

As for good pics, two things I have mentioned before: color and style. I do try to snap pics of everybody, but the favs will make it up on Vital/Pinkbike/etc. Just rolling over something or casually running through a berm not compressed make it harder to make a good composition. Butch made a comment about his photo over the hip, it's a good shot, in focus, etc., but his comment on the pic was "Slow", so he gets what and that is an example of what I am saying.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
All, I took the night off last night as after the Sunday pics were done, I needed a break. I will look for other peoples bibs tonight.

I don't want anyone to think I am biased toward certain people, I am not..... it does help when I know you, so next time you see me, stop by and say hi/introduce yourself. Dont be shy, I really enjoy meeting and talking to all the people, that's was makes it fun. It might take me some time to remember all the names though. The more I see you, the more we chat, the more I get used to your helmet/kit, the better I associate names with riders.

As for good pics, two things I have mentioned before: color and style. I do try to snap pics of everybody, but the favs will make it up on Vital/Pinkbike/etc. Just rolling over something or casually running through a berm not compressed make it harder to make a good composition. Butch made a comment about his photo over the hip, it's a good shot, in focus, etc., but his comment on the pic was "Slow", so he gets what and that is an example of what I am saying.
Don't let folks wear you out regarding photos (me included)!

Granted I have not been at many races over the last few years, I have spent a good bit of time behind the lens and wanted to get some more than just slalom (http://www.flickr.com/photos/psycle-on/) but there was just not enough time to ride and take photos of DH.

Something I came to realize is there are pictures and photographs. Photographers try to create photographs while most people are just thrilled to get a picture of them on their bike. That being the case, I wound up pulling out my good photographs, doing some edits and posting them in a similar fashion to what waterdogs is doing. The "do you have a picture of me" started coming in and I would go through how ever many 1000's of photos to try to find the right picture and email it out. It did not take long before that got quite tiresome and I would either just get shots of my friends to share privately or just throw everything up on flickr or something in a small size with a big watermark on it just so I could get a break.

I guess to summarize my ramblings, as a photographer I am looking for the 1 in 100 shot that is pure awesome while as a lowly old cat 2 rider, I am just happy to see proof that I am still able to ride somewhat!

So don't worry Jay, all of your hard work is appreciated!

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
NICE! BTW, the shot of whomever's leg that was....... DAMN! That's nasty!

there was just not enough time to ride and take photos of DH.
Been there, done that. That's why I don't try and race, besides I am slow and old anyway. Riding is fun, but photoging is just as fun.

Photographers try to create photographs
That's what I try (keyword) to do.

So don't worry Jay, all of your hard work is appreciated!
Thanks, appreciate that. I will get around to them soon.

BTW, there is lots of interesting chat going on..... hopefully in the near future, things will get much better all around.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Thanks a lot for the picture Jay! I'll be sure to try and introduce myself at Nationals (if I can figure out which person is you that is).

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I am easy to spot, 6'4", my hair should be cut short by then so the long hair thing is out, but either look for the Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis tent or equivalent team black, blue or green jersey.