Quantcast

Beech Mountain Race 2 Thread - August 18 - 19

dirtinmyeye

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
everything is posted on bikereg.com for times and such. do some research peeps. sheesh.
Beech Mountain website:
"Beech Mountain Resort will offer all day riding on August 18 and September 15, with lift accessibility.
The beginner trail is complete and expands the resort's offerings to accommodate all skill levels. The lifts will run from 9am to 430pm, with tickets costing $30 for all-day riding. The lift will not only access the downhill trails, but also the Emerald Outback trail system and paved roads."

bikereg.com:
"9am-1pm Downhill practice"

This is why I was asking.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Beech Mountain website:
"Beech Mountain Resort will offer all day riding on August 18 and September 15, with lift accessibility.
The beginner trail is complete and expands the resort's offerings to accommodate all skill levels. The lifts will run from 9am to 430pm, with tickets costing $30 for all-day riding. The lift will not only access the downhill trails, but also the Emerald Outback trail system and paved roads."

bikereg.com:
"9am-1pm Downhill practice"

This is why I was asking.
The new schedule just hasn't been updated on bikereg.com. 9-4:30 Saturday.

PennantInd

Chimp
Aug 28, 2011
If I buy a day license can I still use my old license number and get my results in the same place? Or will I have to renew my old license to do that?

Woahhh nelllayy. Is this even a usac event? I just bikereg'd and it didn't bother charging me for the pesky one-day license. Or, have I gotten so slow that they flagged me in the system with a "don't even bother timing" notation?

Lot camping still kosher? Back to my roots for this one.

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
What are current conditions like? Forecast calls for rain and thunderstorms. Is it gonna be really wet or is it like scattered showers?

wildcard

Chimp
Jul 9, 2007
Hard to make that out... Is that rain or just clouds? Any idea what this means for the DH? Mud fest or nice and tacky?

r_evans

Chimp
May 9, 2012
Statesville, NC
Fixed. To be honest, the Amateur track wasn't that scary when I rode it at Nats last month. Yes, the rain made it dicey in spots but it certainly isn't overly technical. I will say it does require a bit more planning in terms of finding an ideal line though.
Managed to stay wreck free for most of the weekend then busted out 2 crashes on my race run. Was definitely a good time, but need to not pressure myself so much during the race and ride like it's practice.

H20bomberman

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
Asheville (Fairview), NC
Thank you Beech Mountain and everyone else involved with putting this past weekend together. I hope to see many more weekends like this one. I had a blast even though I only made it down the mountain with 2 clean runs. I was the guy with the 275 number plate on a green SX Trail.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
That style looks like Herndon. Who said he was old and couldn't ride?

Sorry I missed the ride day on Saturday. Just couldn't pull it off. I'll plan again for the Sept. version.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
That style looks like Herndon. Who said he was old and couldn't ride?

Sorry I missed the ride day on Saturday. Just couldn't pull it off. I'll plan again for the Sept. version.
Yeah man, I looked for ya. Saturday was a fun day. It was slick in the morning and then perfect the rest of the day. You can get in a TON of runs on that mountain now. My whole weekend was a blast right up until 3/4 of the way through my race run, when I destroyed myself. OMG.......OTB......WTF. I think it was just the sport of Downhill's way of saying, "Welcome back Peckerhead! We missed ya out there!"

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Regardless of your unexpected root bath, it was good to see you back at it - and equally swell that your gimp hand bravely curled up in the pit of your stomach to avoid further trauma. Definitely a good sign :thumb:

Like you said, trails were absolutely mint by noon on Saturday (and great by race time on Sunday), and we hammered out runs until the lift closed. Best day on my DH bike I've had in ages - THANKS as always to the fine folks at Beech for putting together another great event.

My only request is that they create a Cat 7 class for 41 year olds (with or without USAC blessing) so I can continue my impressive decline into the most conservative, risk averse, rotor melting poon sloth in the SE.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
No doubt Jackelope. I enjoyed hanging with you guys and it was good to see everyone again. The southeast races are like one big family reunion except only the crazy uncles get to go. Can't wait for the next one.

And Jay, that was awesome and everyone in the entire scene REALLY appreciates what you are doing.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
Like others said, Saturday was pretty much perfect for riding- not too wet or dry. Sunday morning felt like dejá vu all over again with the slick spots near the top. However, by race time it was sufficiently dry that even us self-sponsored, non-pro riders with a single set of tires could point the bike in (vaguely) the right direction. I had a lot of fun both days and it was great to meet up with old friends again.

Jay, you have any pics of me (plate 390)? I realise my style or lack thereof is a work in progress.....but a momento for myself would be cool. Thanks!

-Matt

r_evans

Chimp
May 9, 2012
Statesville, NC
Cool to see all the pics from the weekend. Thanks to all that got out there behind the camera. maybe next time I'll be fast enough to have my pic taken!

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
To everybody, I've got some things I am still working on from this past weekend that have to get done, and I am got sick just as soon as I got back into town..... so bear with me, give some time to get myself sorted and get over this bug I seem to have. Thanks in advance.