Quantcast

Beech Mountain Race 2 Thread - August 18 - 19

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Will definitely be there, debating on racing. Last time I raced was cat b collegiate but I'm faster than that now. My license isn't current so if I buy a day license what kind of category choice do I have? I remember USAC being pretty picky on categories but I'm not going to race if they're going to make me sandbag cat 5 or something.

mtbman1127

Monkey
Mar 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
sstalder5: you will only be able to race cat 2 on a day license.

I won't be able to make this one or most likely the next due to conflicts which sucks since I got my upgrade after nationals....LAME!

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I'll be there, looking forward to it now that I got a proper rear tire and a little more riding the last couple weeks.

r_evans

Chimp
May 9, 2012
Statesville, NC
I’m planning on going. Never raced DH before, so it should be interesting. Going up Saturday to ride as much as I can and figure out some lines.

Last edited:

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
oh yeah, and any pointers would be appreciated. Other than "go fast, dont wreck too hard" :)
Fixed. To be honest, the Amateur track wasn't that scary when I rode it at Nats last month. Yes, the rain made it dicey in spots but it certainly isn't overly technical. I will say it does require a bit more planning in terms of finding an ideal line though.

r_evans

Chimp
May 9, 2012
Statesville, NC
I was there spectating on Sunday but didnt get a good look at the amateur track. I did catch a video on here that somebody posted of their practice run down it. Doesn't look too bad, but I'm a n00b.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
This one quarter of the Dirt Passion crew will be out there solo (stills, no vid) Sat and Sunday.

In prep for the weekend, as I always state:
1. Color is my and your friend
2. Throw me some style... ride that bike, don't let it ride you
3. Don't be shy, if you see me say hi.... the more often I see you the quicker I can put names with faces, keeping in mind when your wearing your helmet I might now know who's who.

Also, if anyone wants to personally give some feedback on the USGNats film we did, I am all ears and will take it back to the rest of the crew. Good or bad, I checked my feelings at the door. I honestly believe we are there to represent you and I will take it seriously.

Thanks! See you out there!

Jay

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'll be on the Endruo. I'll have DH wheels for Saturday and XC wheels for Sunday at the RK. First lift assisted DH since last Sept. I'll smell around the pits for your cheap beer and brats. Save a spot for me.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I wanted to make it back to Rocky Knob but wanted to make a weekend of it. So I thought I'd stop by and get a few runs in. It will be weird doing DH after almost a year. The Enduro will help temper my expectations. I can always blame my lack of skill on insufficient travel.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I wanted to make it back to Rocky Knob but wanted to make a weekend of it. So I thought I'd stop by and get a few runs in. It will be weird doing DH after almost a year. The Enduro will help temper my expectations. I can always blame my lack of skill on insufficient travel.
Just so you know, that AM track should be fun as hell on that enduro. See ya Saturday!:thumb:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Also, if anyone wants to personally give some feedback on the USGNats film we did, I am all ears and will take it back to the rest of the crew. Good or bad, I checked my feelings at the door. I honestly believe we are there to represent you and I will take it seriously.
Video was AWESOME! I didn't make it out to nats but that video gave a GREAT overview. Kudos!

jerseyjerry

Chimp
Aug 6, 2012
after driving 10 hours this past weekend and crashing twice in my race run to finish 5th. i need a nice close to home racen ill see ya all there

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Does anyone know of a place (cabin/hotel/condo) that we can rent where check in is before 4pm? We won't be coming up until Saturday morning but we have a baby that requires a nap in the afternoon. Checked Pinnacle Inn, Smoketree in Banner Elk, and Roan Mtn SP and all have check-ins at 4pm.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Does anyone know of a place (cabin/hotel/condo) that we can rent where check in is before 4pm? We won't be coming up until Saturday morning but we have a baby that requires a nap in the afternoon. Checked Pinnacle Inn, Smoketree in Banner Elk, and Roan Mtn SP and all have check-ins at 4pm.
If you don't find anything else, take a chance at Pinnacle. They let me check in last year at Nats at 1 instead of 4.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Taking a chance with a baby nap is dangerous business don't you know? That's like poking a hornet's nest and locking it in the truck with my wife and saying "see ya later babe, I'm going to ride my bike". Even though she gets stung, I'm the one that gets hurt.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
That why I said IF. I came home from a race one time all smiley faced, and Crystal said, Rowan has been sick all day and just threw up in my hair. Good luck with her for the rest of the weekend. :D

dirtinmyeye

Chimp
Apr 16, 2012
Does anyone know if we can practice DH til the lifts close around 4:30 (I think that was the time) on Saturday? I saw where they were going to run the lifts all day - you had to buy a lift ticket. But I am hoping that we can just keep on practicing outside of the practice times. Anybody got any info?

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I just booked at the Four Seasons and they have plenty of rooms available this weekend and will give a 10% discount. Thus it comes to $163,33 for two nights inclusive taxes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That why I said IF. I came home from a race one time all smiley faced, and Crystal said, Rowan has been sick all day and just threw up in my hair. Good luck with her for the rest of the weekend. :D
Same here. When Charisma was 1 & Cassidy 3, I went to Icycle for an overnighter. All 3 became violently ill in the middle of the night all through the next day. Everybody got magically better as soon as I rolled up.
Worst part....they lost power during the night. Yeah...dad's can't win. :s