Quantcast

Beech Mountain Ride Dates

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
So what and where is the beginner trail? I assuming its not just fire roads or a trail down the slope.
It starts in the woods to the right of the Pro Track rock garden woods, below the road. It goes all the way down but there are two opportunities to transfer out of the trail, one just below the pro track triple, and one at the top berm of the "mtb board park". It's gonna be awesome to ride the top section, then hop onto the pro track to hit the big hip.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
So it's $30 for Saturday...does that mean its going to be another $45 or whatever for the race on Sunday...or will there be racer packages for the weekend?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My understanding is that the $30.00 price if for those who just want to ride on Saturday, and the $45 price if for those who are riding Saturday and racing on Sunday.
Final question though. Since this a USAC race, do the park riders have to buy a USAC license or is Saturday considered to not be part of the event so they avoid that conflict with licensing?

It doesn't matter to me (since I have a license), but I want to encourage as many fun-riders as possible to come and if I know the answer, I'll pass it along to them ASAP.:thumb:

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
My understanding is that the $30.00 price if for those who just want to ride on Saturday, and the $45 price if for those who are riding Saturday and racing on Sunday.
Awesome...this would be optimal.

Still want to know the answer to your question too though...are we racing both courses?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
So there seems to be some mis information either on the Beech site or the Bike Reg site:

From the Bikereg site:

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/16405
Saturday
8am Registration Opens
1:30 am registration closes
9am-1pm Downhill practice
Beech site:
http://www.beechmountainresort.com/index.html
Beech Mountain Resort will offer all day riding on August 18 and September 15, with lift accessibility.
The beginner trail is complete and expands the resort's offerings to accommodate all skill levels. The lifts will run from 9am to 430pm, with tickets costing $30 for all-day riding. The lift will not only access the downhill trails, but also the Emerald Outback trail system and paved roads.
I would hate to get up there and get kicked off the DH tracks at 1pm.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
No way, this is Beech. No matter how many golf balls ol'Ray lists on his forecast, expect magic (non-radar detectable) rain every night, heavy fog in the morning, and a good coverage of awesomeness by the afternoon.

clealan

Monkey
Mar 9, 2008
Fairview NC
Great to ride Beech Saturday with many of my non-racing buddies. Too bad the weather kept so many away on Sunday, by race time the track was in pretty good shape. Thank you Beech Mountain and all the people who are working to make this happen.

edwin66

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
Winston-Salem, NC
IDK I might just race DH, but only if its dry. It was so muddy and slick last time it wasn't fun. Plus the fact that it was my first time on the course and had no clue what it was like or where stuff was. Gess we'll find out.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
IDK I might just race DH, but only if its dry. It was so muddy and slick last time it wasn't fun. Plus the fact that it was my first time on the course and had no clue what it was like or where stuff was. Gess we'll find out.
My advice would be get a good set of mud tires and keep riding in the wet until you get used to it. It can be a blast once you learn, plus if you want to race around here, you have to like it nasty. Dirty south for a reason.

edwin66

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
Winston-Salem, NC
I ride in the wet a lot so I'm used to it. Its just most of the time it's on red clay dirt not top soil, sandy mix dirt. I would like to buy some mud spike tires but don't have the money for them now. Just bought the ones i was using. Oh well, I'll stick to dirt jumps. Thats what I do best.

weezer23

Chimp
Dec 17, 2011
What tire is everyone running up at Beech when its slick (not muddy) but when the rocks and roots are ultra slimey?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
My advice would be get a good set of mud tires and keep riding in the wet until you get used to it. It can be a blast once you learn, plus if you want to race around here, you have to like it nasty. Dirty south for a reason.
My advice is to ride in the mud without mud tires.

This is a classic situation. Almost every casual rider puts their bike up when it gets wet outside. Then they go to a race in the South, which of course will be wet more often than not. You can guess how that turns out.

To race in bad conditions you have to ride in bad conditions. Riding slick conditions without mud tires is a great time. Makes me feel like me feel like a kid again. I am usually smiling from ear to ear.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Riding slick conditions without mud tires is a great time. Makes me feel like me feel like a kid again. I am usually smiling from ear to ear.
Had I ride just like this yesterday. Was extremely tired about 3/4 of the way through the ride and was honestly ready to get off the trail, then it started pouring. Had so much fun those last few miles and started riding hard again. The trail was basically a river by the time I got off it :D.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
Since I'm not endowed with multiple sets of tires, I've learned to just cope with the rain that seems inevitable at Beech. That said, like most DH riding, wet riding skills come with experience and although I was disheartened by my performance during Nats (first wet race ever for me), when it rained again at the race last month, I felt a bit more confident, less scared off by the slickness.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
Since I'm not endowed with multiple sets of tires, I've learned to just cope with the rain that seems inevitable at Beech. That said, like most DH riding, wet riding skills come with experience and although I was disheartened by my performance during Nats (first wet race ever for me), when it rained again at the race last month, I felt a bit more confident, less scared off by the slickness.
You must have missed out on the $13.99 Intense mud tire deal on JensonUSA just before nationals. Helped me achieve what is probably the best race run I have ever had.

mlin32

Chimp
Apr 12, 2012
WNC
I'm terrible at keeping up with online deals. Usually by the time I need it, nothing's on sale and/or it's not the opportune timing, and this applies to almost everything I buy.

Mud tires are sort of allocated towards next season, as is possibly a new helmet.

Last edited:

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
I got an email saying that there is now an overall award for the series. Is there a list for the standings after the two races? Bummed that DS wont be running.

Last edited:

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
Here are my rudimentary point standings for Cat 1 30-39.

There were 9 riders at each race so I gave 1st place 9 points, descending down to 1 point for 9th.

David Bethea 14
Jeremy Edge 14
Brad Blackwell 8
Will Murray 8
Kevin Addair 8
Gary Bethea 7
Harley Addair 7
J. Shane O'Shura 6
Chris Skolnick 6
John Fennell 3
Matthew Griffen 3
Coy Miller 2
Jeremy Raney 2
John Haynes 1
Zachary Slaybaugh 1

I vote for double points for the finals! :D

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Would you like to share your email that you received. I've been waiting to see if anyone would post anything with overall points from Beech. Very poor promotion for the Beech races. Not sure if anybody from FL will be going to the last Beech race.

I got an email saying that there is now an overall award for the series. Is there a list for the standings after the two races? Bummed that DS wont be running.

NCBMXPRO

Monkey
Apr 22, 2005
Charlotte
Here it is

BEECH MOUNTAIN RESORT TO OPEN LIFT FOR CYCLIST;
A New Beginner Trail Ensures Riding for all Skill Levels.

A bike park, with lift access, in the High Country is closer than you think! Beech Mountain Resort will offer lift access for cyclist on September 15, 2012.

The lift will operate from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Lift tickets can be purchased for $30. The resort offers three trails, catering to all skill levels, from beginner to intermediate. Riders can also access the Emerald Outback trail system.

The final downhill race of the summer will be held on Sunday, September 16. Awards for the race will be distributed as usual. In addition, Beech Mountain Resort will reward the overall winners in the summer series. Results from the two prior races will be combined with the final, to produce the series winners.

Spectators can enjoy food and beverage, or take a scenic lift ride for $10. For more information visit www.beechmountainresort.com.

Saturday
8am-430pm Registration Open
9am-430pm Lift Open
**Entry to DH includes Saturday Lift Ticket**
Sunday
8am registration opens
11am registration closes
9-11:30 Downhill practice
11:30 Riders Meeting
11:45 Race Starts
SERIES CATEGORIES
Cat 1 Men 19-29
Cat 1 Men 30-39
Cat 1 Men 40+
Cat 1 Men Jr
Cat 1 Women
Cat 2 Men 19-29
Cat 2 Men 30-39
Cat 2 Men 40+
Cat 2 Men Jr
Cat 2 Women
Cat 3 Men 19-29
Cat 3 Men 30-39

DaveBethea

Monkey
Jul 22, 2009
Daytona Beach,FL
Thanks Will...It's things like this email, someone from Beech Mtn or the Promoter of the series should be posting to keep everyone in the loop. I don't mean to sound so negitive about coming to the last race, but I don't have anyone to travel with.